Sponsored

Was Car and Driver paid under the table to write this Bronco vs Wrangler comparison article?

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
Well an auto article written comparing a Bronco to a Wrangler gets clicks, so there is that. And it is in their best interest to make the Bronco something better than it is in order to generate a rivalry. Just reading the summary comments sort of sums up the article itself:

Bronco:
Highs: Badass retro design, spacious cabin, refinement extends to pavement and dirt.
Lows: Chintzy interior materials, porky curb weight, even louder inside than the Wrangler.
Verdict: An effortlessly cool off-roader that isn't a chore to drive daily.

Wrangler:
Highs: An off-road fixture for good reason, powerful and efficient turbo four, plucky agility.
Lows: Woefully uncouth on the road, uncomfortable interior, waves from other Jeepers.
Verdict: A pack mule with a fun personality and poor manners.

So terribly overpriced interior, fat and loud is a better 'low' than road manners and waves. The focus of the article is more about how it looks, and of course it is 'new'. The Jeep is a Jeep and will stay that way. The Bronco, if it stays on the current track will fade away as outside of its front end, the body is quite forgettable. And by the way, losing the interior noise debate to a Jeep Wrangler really shows how little time was spent on anything.
Sponsored

RubyRubi

First Name
Collin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Rubicon, 2018 Grand Cherokee
Iā€™m so tired of all the Wrangler vs Bronco nonsense. Who cares. The Bronco is another great SUV that no one can deny was a slam dunk from Ford. Especially considering what Ford has produced the last couple decades. Reading reviews of is ridiculous. Why do it to yourself? We all know deep down how the Wrangler drives lol! Who cares about off road worthiness? What difference does a review make. Just have fun and be stoked thereā€™s another great off-roader out there now. Finally.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
Nope, that article is absolutely CORRECT! I joke in a lot of posts but Iā€™m serious here and Iā€™ll tell you the reasoning.

I test drive both a ā€˜21 Bronco 4 door with badlands with 2.4 and ā€˜18 Sahara with 2.0.

1) Bronco was WAY more comfortable to sit in and drive. Seats were awesome, the marine grade vinyl felt plush and supportive and there was NO STUPID MESH DOOR HINGE HITTING MY LEG! šŸ¤¬

2) The small Bronco motor felt powerful and quicker than the Jeeps. Although, I donā€™t really care about speed as Iā€™m not buying a race car, Iā€™m buying an adventure mobile.

3) There was a ton more room up front and in the back seat of the Bronco, itā€™s a wider vehicle.

4) there is more cargo space in the Bronco for my off road adventures. Iā€™m losing 1cu ft by going from my outback to the wrangler.

5) I didnā€™t take either off road but I donā€™t plan on putting on a 72ā€ lift with 3000ā€ wheels, the solid vs IFS was not a determining factor for me

6) Bronco controls and placement of buttons was nicer, I liked them on the dash

7) have I mentioned comfort when driving? This was so much different Iā€™ll mention it twice!

So now youā€™re asking ā€œif youā€™re such a ford fanboy, why did you order a ā€˜22 JLUR and join the Jeep family you stupid idiot??!ā€ Well, first, Iā€™m a Toyota fanboy. My name on the overland forums is ā€œwishihada4runner ā€œ and Iā€™m going to leave it like that with a Jeep. I didnā€™t end up with a 4Runner because the three Toyota dealers I went to in CO were pretentious jerks and one sales manager was actually offensive by telling me that on a $150k loan, a bank will charge me 15% interest and Im upside down on my trade, an ā€˜18 Outback that I owe $10k on and Jeep is giving me $25.5k for. Anywayā€¦ I went with the JLUR because I could afford it. Apples to apples-ish I got more for my dollar with the Jeep, but I did have to sacrifice. My Bronco build was around $56k and my JLUR was just under $50k. The JLUR with the 2.0 also got better fuel economy.

Not to mention that who knows when Iā€™d actually get my Bronco. Would I even get it in ā€˜22?? I need something NOW because my Outback cannot keep up on the CO trails.

I do feel like I sacrificed on my Jeep purchase. But, I think (I hope!) Iā€™m still going to love it and love being a part of the Jeep community. Iā€™ve had bad experiences with Jeep owners in the past but people here (for the most part) donā€™t seem like any of those guys.

So there, I said it. I think the Bronco is a better fit for me and would have chosen it if I was given an option for a free vehicle on the spot. Please donā€™t stone me.

The Bronco sport is a disgusting pile of dog crap that I wouldnā€™t be caught dead driving. šŸ„ø

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Yeah, when I read that article all I could think was, wow, Ford paid this guy a lot of money. I test drove a badlands Bronco before I bought my Jeep, I also lived and breathed everything Bronco since itā€™s release.

The test drive was disappointing. It did drive like my wifeā€™s Pilot on the road, but that being said, it was completely uninspiring. The materials felt awful. While the infotainment screen is huge, it was not intuitive and had limited customization options. The goat modes felt like a gimmick. The doors felt cheap and the windows snagged the weather stripping every time they were opened. The soft top was as awful as it looks. It hung in front of the passengers face during the entire drive. With the top back you couldnā€™t see the digital drivers display due to the sun light washing it out. My wife and kids sat in the back and the lack of AC vents was immediately apparent.

My 21 JLUR on the other hand drives marginally worse on the road. All the interior materials feel leaps and bounds better than the Bronco. The displays are easy to read in the sun, and far more customizable. The SOT is amazing and allows me to go topless far more than I ever would in the Bronco. And last but not least the AC vents in the rear make the Jeep a hundred times better than the Bronco for families.

Apparently the reviewer felt none of those fairly obvious observations mattered and showed his disdain for Jeepā€™s fan base by saying the Jeep wave is a ā€œlowā€ for the Jeep. Anyway, not like honesty in journalism is common anymore, so about what I would expect.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bulletbill

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Jesus.., you folks slay me.
Last month when this article came out on MotorTrend, the 6G forum was awash with posts claiming Jeep must have paid them off.
Is the C/D guy a putz who really doesn't understand the segment? I'm thinking yes.
That said, of course the Bronco feels better on road.
But the reviewer seems to be saying Jeep should dump the SFA because folks who never go off road would find it more appealing.

Here's a thought: maybe it doesn't have to be for everyone.

Sorry to vent, but the idea that making things more 'vanella' for broader appeal annoys the shit out of me. Give me unique character - and the compromises that come with it - any day.
I have nothing against them being used as mall crawlers - but don't bitch about them not being as comfortable as a typical soccer mom SUV.
There's a reason the Bronco and Wrangler stand apart from the dreary obscurity of the pack. They're designed with a different priority in mind.
And all the better for it.
screenshot_20211026-174837_youtube-jpg.jpg

1638105263337.gif

1638105263230.gif

1638105263285.gif
lol, I am pretty sure I saw you post this exact same thing on the 6g forum. Not that I donā€™t completely agree with youšŸ˜œ.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

I don't understand why Jeep owners get so butthurt about the Bronco. WTF cares?

That being said, I could tell you off the bat that this is pretty bunk:

1. Comparing a base-level Sport with a mid-tier Outer Banks, then complains about the interior amenities of the Sport.
2. Counts "waves from other Jeeps" as a con for the Jeep

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
I don't understand why Jeep owners get so butthurt about the Bronco. WTF cares?

That being said, I could tell you off the bat that this is pretty bunk:

1. Comparing a base-level Sport with a mid-tier Outer Banks, then complains about the interior amenities of the Sport.
2. Counts "waves from other Jeeps" as a con for the Jeep
Why do you assume it is 'butt hurt'? No different than Mustang vs Camaro, 1500 vs F150, 2500 vs Super Duty. That is what is done, comparison. I don't understand why people get so 'butt hurt' by people comparing the two.

Speed331

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2008 Jetta, 2018 Discovery Sport, 2020 Wrangler Sport S (on order)
lol, I am pretty sure I saw you post this exact same thing on the 6g forum. Not that I donā€™t completely agree with youšŸ˜œ.
That you did. Lol.
I figured it was just as applicable here and trying to paraphrase it was just too much work.

And really, someone else's opinion of my Wrangler - or anything else I love - has zero effect on my feelings towards it. I don't need an outside 'expert' to validate my opinions - good or bad - they're mine and I own them without reservation.
I have a great fondness for the Bronco 'brand' having owned a bulletproof, beat to shit, used one in high school. I want it to be awesome. But that has zero bearing on my love of the Wrangler.

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Why do you assume it is 'butt hurt'? No different than Mustang vs Camaro, 1500 vs F150, 2500 vs Super Duty. That is what is done, comparison. I don't understand why people get so 'butt hurt' by people comparing the two.
This post, in particular, isn't really butthurt, but within the Jeep community overall, there seem to be A LOT of people who feel personally attacked by the Bronco. It's just weird to me. Sure, you see comparisons in other communities (I'm a Corvette fanboi since I was 6) but you don't really seem to see such defensiveness.

Sponsored

Windshieldfarmer

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU, 2020 JlU on order
I read the articleā€¦itā€™s merely an opinion. What was suspicious is that on the rating chart under ā€œamenitiesā€ the wrangler received a ā€œ1ā€ and the Bronco a ā€œ10ā€. The wrangler was much less equippedā€¦and far less expensive. My lifted wrangler does not wander on the highwayā€¦one finger driving unless windy. An abused rental perhapsā€¦

Obispo325

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Chevy Tahoe and hopefully a Bright White JLUR
OOOOOOOrrrrr...they are a very devout Jeep fan and wanting FCA to take notice and combat the Bronco with a better improved Wrangler. I love the Wrangler, but it could still be improved. Hopefully FCA reads the article and we see some revisions sooner rather than later.
Plot twist.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Maybe Jeep should offer an Unlimited mall crawler extreme version with IFS and rack and pinion, to compete with the Bronco. They could even do a mall crawler extra with an extended overhang and a third row of seats.
Jeep Wrangler JL Was Car and Driver paid under the table to write this Bronco vs Wrangler comparison article? rasberry

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
No. Not good for him. This is bad journalism. If an author is doing that- they can lose their job as it's a conflict of interest. In fact, most corporate SOP's outline this specifically- Quid pro Quo, "pay for play" etc.
Not saying that this actually took place here, Just pointing out the problem.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but weren't they the ones who were talking 1/4 mi times when the 392 came out, but didn't test it off road, or something equally dumb?

Probably a reason it's call "CAR and Driver". IF you want the real deal? Go read Four Wheeler. Sean P Holman wrote a good "first drive" of the Bronco, and compares it to Wrangler.
When JL launched a few years back, the C and D writer at the press event marveled at the swaybar disconnect and locker lights lit up on the dashboard.

That right there told me everything I needed to know about those guys familiarity with being on the trails.
Sponsored