Sponsored

Was Car and Driver paid under the table to write this Bronco vs Wrangler comparison article?

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe Jeep should offer an Unlimited mall crawler extreme version with IFS and rack and pinion, to compete with the Bronco.
Ugh, no thanks. That’s a never-ending slippery slope.

Sergio Marchionne wanted ALL JLs to go IFS, with the exception of Rubicon.

The day that happens I’ll stop buying Jeep Wranglers, period. There would literally be hundreds of better alternatives to choose from.
Sponsored

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I read the article…it’s merely an opinion. What was suspicious is that on the rating chart under “amenities” the wrangler received a “1” and the Bronco a “10”. The wrangler was much less equipped…and far less expensive. My lifted wrangler does not wander on the highway…one finger driving unless windy. An abused rental perhaps…
Yeah that Amenities rating was a head scratcher. My stock Sport S also does not wander on the highway, I don't think it's a lot different than my '15 F-150 (with IFS of course). The Bronco and the Wrangler both sit higher too, and are bricks, so crosswinds will affect them more than passenger car or sleeker/lower/SUV, but that comes with the territory.

Chupacabra

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
Ugh, no thanks. That’s a never-ending slippery slope.

Sergio Marchionne wanted ALL JLs to go IFS, with the exception of Rubicon.

The day that happens I’ll stop buying Jeep Wranglers. There would literally be hundreds of better alternatives out there.
Making the Wrangler IFS would take away one of the biggest differentiators it has. If you want IFS, now you can get a Bronco with it. Leave the SFA alone for us Wrangler folks.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Making the Wrangler IFS would take away one of the biggest differentiators it has. If you want IFS, now you can get a Bronco with it. Leave the SFA alone for us Wrangler folks.
Indeed. Tacoma, Frontier, Colorado, Canyon, Ranger, 4Runner, Bronco, they all have IFS.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Ironically, Wrangler sales have been growing through decades of derision and condescension from the “auto experts.”

Sponsored

Philly_

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Clubs

IMO, the article is poorly done as it does appear to offer a bias towards the Bronco.

On another note, I have a question maybe you or others can help me with. I ordered my first Jeep, 2022 Rubicon, 2 weeks ago. I only got to test drive for a short time and did not feel the steering wander issue mentioned in the article and mentioned elsewhere.

For folks who purchased their Jeep new:
Is there a steering wander issue even with a new built (what I would expect to be a tight) JL Jeep?
Thx
Saw some other members answered you on this, but wanted to chime in as well that there is nothing to worry about. The JL's are night and day from even the JK's in how they handle from the factory. I was extremely impressed when I finally test drove a two door and four door last week.

You do have to be aware of cross winds, though. Jeeps are essentially bricks with wheels and will blow around a bit, but nothing that you can't control.

old mike

First Name
mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
little red 2021 JLR (Ruby J. L. Tudor)
This entire thread is outrageously insulting! Car and Driver was absolutely not paid under the table to write the Bronco vs Wrangler comparison article!

Ford made a direct deposit transfer into the Car and Driver corporate bank account just like they always do.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Motor Trend just drove an electric truck (Rivian) cross country - virtually all off-road. These magazines have more chops than the forum members give them credit for. These guys do this for a living - we're weekend warriors (at best).

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
That’s not my experience when it comes to off-roading.

Mainstream auto mags know cars; trucks not so much. They tend to view the world through the lens of 0-60 and skid pad numbers, which misses the point entirely when it comes to off-road vehicles.

Off-Road and 4-Wheel Drive magazines are the only ones I trust when it comes to off-roading.

Sponsored

Mikeoso

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.iowaparrotrescue.org
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500, Jeep
Occupation
Retired history teacher
Off-Road and 4-Wheel Drive magazines are the only ones I trust when it comes to off-roading.
Yeah, but look how unfairly those mags treat Mustangs and Chargers.

El Zilcho

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, Rubicon axles
I know skid pad is a strange metrics for Wrangler, but I'm not sure I trust C&D numbers. With All terrain tires sure, sounds about right, but with highway tires I'm easily passing motorcycles (harleys, not sports bikes, with riders that are clueless) in the mountains. Plus bronco is heavier and its not an advantage on a skid pad.

lowmpg

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon
This post, in particular, isn't really butthurt, but within the Jeep community overall, there seem to be A LOT of people who feel personally attacked by the Bronco. It's just weird to me. Sure, you see comparisons in other communities (I'm a Corvette fanboi since I was 6) but you don't really seem to see such defensiveness.
Being a continuous Mustang owner and Ford truck owner I'll say I haven't seen anything Jeep/Bronco that comes near the stupidity of Ford/Chevy :)

rcadden

First Name
Ricky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Hydro Blue Sahara Altitude
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Marketing
Clubs

Being a continuous Mustang owner and Ford truck owner I'll say I haven't seen anything Jeep/Bronco that comes near the stupidity of Ford/Chevy :)
You *would* say that as a Ford lover.....;)

O)()()()()(O

First Name
E
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
This entire thread is outrageously insulting! Car and Driver was absolutely not paid under the table to write the Bronco vs Wrangler comparison article!

Ford made a direct deposit transfer into the Car and Driver corporate bank account just like they always do.
Curious . Does Ford advertise in Car and Driver ?
Sponsored