Warranty Work When Not Purchased Locally

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
Many have purchased out of state or far from local dealer.
I'm sure many that went that route went to a local dealer and could not get the price of the distant dealer.
The sales dept may even recognize you and see you come in with the new car that you bought elsewhere.
Have you found that the local dealer gave you any resistance to warranty work.
I know they can't deny service but I bet they can give you an appointment that is not reasonable, as a
punishment for not buying from that dealer. I say this because the local dealers service dept asks name, vehicle, year etc. for an appointment. With this info they can easily see if it was purchased at that dealer. Just wondering.
Sponsored

Blood Type J+

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
99 TJ Sport 6-cyl
I'm sure many that went that route went to a local dealer and could not get the price of the distant dealer.
The sales dept may even recognize you and see you come in with the new car that you bought elsewhere.
I know they can't deny service but I bet they can give you an appointment that is not reasonable, as a
punishment for not buying from that dealer. I say this because the local dealers service dept asks name, vehicle, year etc. for an appointment. With this info they can easily see if it was purchased at that dealer. Just wondering.
Any dealer gets paid the same, from the factory, on warranty work without regard to where it was purchased.

Sales and Service are like two different business. Sales still likes you to use that dealership's service as they may get first shot on your next buy if you come by for service periodically. Service department don't care - humph =p

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon, 2014 Ram 2500 Crew Cab
It’s a non-issue as far as the work to be performed or scheduling an appointment. The only thing that was a little off was trying to get a loaner car from the dealer when service was going to longer than a day. They tried giving me a song and dance about not having the maxcare warranty.

itaos

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
It’s a non-issue as far as the work to be performed or scheduling an appointment. The only thing that was a little off was trying to get a loaner car from the dealer when service was going to longer than a day. They tried giving me a song and dance about not having the maxcare warranty.
How did you convince them to give you the loaner?

Sponsored

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How did you convince them to give you the loaner?
For warranty work I never got one.

For a non-warranty repair it took a lot of screaming it took a lot of screaming and they only relented because it was their tech who caused the damage to the interior of my Jeep in the first place. There’s a thread about my horror story over on jk-forum.

We eventually stopped going to that dealer and started going to a hugely better dealer that was customer service focused who treats customers like people.

Moral of the story, find a dealer that treats you right.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
snipe:
At the dealership the Sales Dept. and Service Dept. are like two separate entities / two separate businesses on the same property.

Truth to be told, most times the two are at odds with each other. They both work pretty much independently and are worried about themselves and their numbers and not the other entity on the property. IF, Sales wants something from Parts or Service they have to make sure Parts and Service is paid for same or they are not going to get it. That goes for both parts and labor.

With this said, the dealership Service Department could care less where you bought the vehicle.

The dealership's lets call it bread and butter is the Service Department.

It's the Service Department that brings in the $ and keeps the dealership in the green. Again, they could care less where you purchase the vehicle from. They just want your business, your personal $ or the $ from the vehicle manufacturer for the warranty work they do on your vehicle.

Last edited:

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
That is all straight dope--

Why do you think that most dealers will charge a minimum of $100 bucks an hour--

Just TRY to keep a level/good attitude and you don't really have to accept anything, you can USUALLY work out a compromise--

Good luck

JIMBO

OP
OP
islandtees

islandtees

First Name
gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 rubicon jl
Things have changed over the years. Everything that has been posted makes sense. I only was worried because I found a Rubicon 60 miles from me the way I want it and won't have to go thru the order nightmare. I have a dealer 5 miles from my house which would be easy for warranty work.

kkuntz01

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Things have changed over the years. Everything that has been posted makes sense. I only was worried because I found a Rubicon 60 miles from me the way I want it and won't have to go thru the order nightmare. I have a dealer 5 miles from my house which would be easy for warranty work.
HAH, I'm almost the complete opposite. I've got a dealer maybe a 1/2 mile from my doorstep and I'll drive 35 miles to my preferred dealer for anything from oil changes to warranty work. A little more hassle, but less aggravation and fewer things broken or damaged on our vehicles.

Sponsored

Hootbro

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport, 2022 JT RUBICON
Really is going to depend on the dealer. Of my two local dealers closest to me, one does not care and the other is straight up in telling you that you are third priority after paid non-warranty work and dealer customer bought warranty work.

I would also add that there is circumstances were a warranty issue can fall in the cracks of needing a dealership to go to bat for you or argue for a "goodwill" repair be made. Do not expect a dealership you did not buy from to go that extra mile in those instances.

FatBoy01

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Wrangler Sahara; 2001 Harley FatBoy; 2018 Wrangler Rubicon JL (Ordered)
Occupation
Retired @ 55
Really is going to depend on the dealer. Of my two local dealers closest to me, one does not care and the other is straight up in telling you that you are third priority after paid non-warranty work and dealer customer bought warranty work.

I would also add that there is circumstances were a warranty issue can fall in the cracks of needing a dealership to go to bat for you or argue for a "goodwill" repair be made. Do not expect a dealership you did not buy from to go that extra mile in those instances.
I hear ya..but first off that dealer you mention that does care should be avoided.

As for that "goodwill" stuff, a call to Jeep customer service before you pay for a repair that you think should be warrantied will usually get you that goodwill repair or at least a portion of it paid by RCA. Be sure you call before you pay the Service Department for the repair.

Also, you really can still have a great relationship with a dealership Service Department and have them "come to bat for you" even if you did not buy from that dealership's sales department.

Last edited:

BillG

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Sting Gray JLUR / 15 Harley Tri glide / 50 Dodge Rat pickup
Honestly I think it doesn’t matter much anymore. The way people move for jobs now, I’d say at least half of all vehicles are bought from dealers then taken somewhere else for warranty work .
A good dealer will appreciate your business and try to treat you right so that your next purchase will be with them.
Sponsored