CalPolyDM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Anyone had this craziness … had a check engine light with a code P0010… took it to the dealer since under warranty and I haven’t touched the engine as far as mods to keep the warranty. They informed me a wire was eaten by a rodent, looks to be a conniving squirrel that lives around my house. Only took them a week to get around to telling me this without the car, different frustration.

So, they said to repair the damage… $800. They said to replace the harness… $1200. I asked them how much to just come get it and they gave me the hour charge to diagnose, said obviously not covered under warranty. I recently was laid off, so I said I would just come get it and have it fixed, they wanted too much… when I picked it up they said my warranty was invalidated if I didn’t pay the charge and have them do the repair. WTH… is this craziness or what… @JeepCares is this legit or just outrageous usury?

It took me 20 minutes to solder and splice the wire and check the connection/codes with the computer, yet they want $800 for the same repair. I can get a new harness for $120 If required…

Thoughts?

Jeep Wrangler JL Warranty voided for a spliced wire… WTH Resized_20230414_135510
Jeep Wrangler JL Warranty voided for a spliced wire… WTH IMG_3325
Jeep Wrangler JL Warranty voided for a spliced wire… WTH IMG_3326
Jeep Wrangler JL Warranty voided for a spliced wire… WTH IMG_3329
Sponsored

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same thing happen with my son's 2021 Dodge Challenger. The LED headlight unit is all one piece and the turn signals suddenly went out. I took it to the dealer and they found a rodent chewed the wires. They charged me $500 to fix it and said something similar that since it was now identified and in the system, it had to be repaired by an authorized center - aka only a dealer could fix it. I grudgingly paid to have it fixed.

Fortunately, this was during the peak of COVID and since my son was in military college, I sold it after the repair and made $3500 on it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
CalPolyDM

CalPolyDM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I had the same thing happen with my son's 2021 Dodge Challenger. The LED headlight unit is all one piece and the turn signals suddenly went out. I took it to the dealer and they found a rodent chewed the wires. They charged me $500 to fix it and said something similar that since it was now identified and in the system, it had to be repaired by an authorized center - aka only a dealer could fix it. I grudgingly paid to have it fixed.

Fortunately, this was during the peak of COVID and since my son was in military college, I sold it after the repair and made $3500 on it.
Sounds like you did pretty well on the sale!

zrickety

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Rubicon 2DR 3.6L 6MT, VW 2.0T
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Technician
deductible is too high…
You did the right thing repairing it yourself. Dealers could do the right thing and redeem their reputations but greed is what motivates them, so sad.

dabble

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
batmobile
Met a guy a few years ago in Huntsville, AL who had an '18 F150 with the 5.0 engine. He showed me a picture of a rat he caught in a trap. I asked where was that? He pointed to the carport. This rat had chewed $2k of harness damage in his engine compartment. He paid a $500 deductible and his insurance covered the repair. Afterwards he installed one of these. Hear that, I installed one in my F150. This is it.

Strobe lights and ultrasound. Mine came in a box of two from Amazon (I think).

OP
OP
CalPolyDM

CalPolyDM

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Met a guy a few years ago in Huntsville, AL who had an '18 F150 with the 5.0 engine. He showed me a picture of a rat he caught in a trap. I asked where was that? He pointed to the carport. This rat had chewed $2k of harness damage in his engine compartment. He paid a $500 deductible and his insurance covered the repair. Afterwards he installed one of these. Hear that, I installed one in my F150. This is it.

Strobe lights and ultrasound. Mine came in a box of two from Amazon (I think).

My wife just got me this! Hopefully it works!

JEEP4U

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler
Anyone had this craziness … had a check engine light with a code P0010… took it to the dealer since under warranty and I haven’t touched the engine as far as mods to keep the warranty. They informed me a wire was eaten by a rodent, looks to be a conniving squirrel that lives around my house. Only took them a week to get around to telling me this without the car, different frustration.

So, they said to repair the damage… $800. They said to replace the harness… $1200. I asked them how much to just come get it and they gave me the hour charge to diagnose, said obviously not covered under warranty. I recently was laid off, so I said I would just come get it and have it fixed, they wanted too much… when I picked it up they said my warranty was invalidated if I didn’t pay the charge and have them do the repair. WTH… is this craziness or what… @JeepCares is this legit or just outrageous usury?

It took me 20 minutes to solder and splice the wire and check the connection/codes with the computer, yet they want $800 for the same repair. I can get a new harness for $120 If required…

Thoughts?

Should have bought the harness and installed yourself

Sponsored

Dave928

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Rubicon, 03 Silverado, 88 Porsche 928 S4
Occupation
Aircraft Tech
It’s definitely not covered by warranty but they are being absurd to claim that the repair in any way invalidates your warranty.
they're claiming they'll void his warranty if he doesn't have them do the repair.

Pnbld

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Harley
Good fix

Absurd, do business with a different dealer in the future
Sponsored