OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
That isn't how warranties work, and it will likely never matter. Just drive it. Do you never own a vehicle past the 3 year mark? This is an insane way to live your life.
if it was just the suspension and the steering I wouldn’t have such a big problem with it, but not having a power train warranty concerns me because I don’t want to spend $8000 replacing a motor should it fail.
Sponsored

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
you need to go back and read all of the post, not just the part you chose to pick out. The steering is included in the restriction on the warranty and that is the part I’m having a problem with.
Great then pay for the repairs, or fix it yourself. There is no reason for any wrangler owner to take their Jeep to the dealer except for software issues.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
if it was just the suspension and the steering I wouldn’t have such a big problem with it, but not having a power train warranty concerns me because I don’t want to spend $8000 replacing a motor should it fail.
You bought a used vehicle, why would there be any assumption of a warranty unless specifically and explicitly outlined as such?

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Great then pay for the repairs, or fix it yourself. There is no reason for any wrangler owner to take their Jeep to the dealer except for software issues.
i’m going to choose to ignore your stupid comment.

every new vehicle in America is required by law to come with a warranty, that typically last for three years or 36,000 miles, since I have reached neither one of those milestones then the assumption that the warranty is there is completely legitimate.

Sponsored

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Dump it and move on. If the wife doesn't agree, dump her too and get a new one. Simple.

G.
lol I love my wife far more than any vehicle. But I’m assuming you are joking, she’s good with ordering a new one...

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
"B. MODIFICATIONS THAT WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTIES These actions will void your warranties: • Disconnecting, tampering with, or altering the odometer will void your warranties, unless your repairing technician follows the legal requirements for repairing or replacing odometers. • Attaching any device that disconnects the odometer will also void your warranties."

That is the ONLY statement in the warranty documentation that would void all warranty.
Whoever you talked to at the dealership is an idiot.

tk1700

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Altitude, 2021 JLUR, 2016 Tundra
This kind of thread is so fucking dumb. Nobody should give a rats ass about the warranty coverage of shocks and springs. You will never have a claim on them. Ever.
I disagree. When I installed spring spacers on the rear of my 2021 JLUR I noticed the rear shocks were leaking. I finished installing the spacers and took the Jeep to the dealer to have the shocks replaced. I have a new set of rear shocks on order under warranty.

With 13000 miles and still under warranty, why not have the dealer replace them at no cost to me?

gsbrockman

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
22 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Willys XR in Hydro Blue
Occupation
Owner / Operator Brockman Hauling, LLC
Vehicle Showcase
That isn't how warranties work, and it will likely never matter. Just drive it. Do you never own a vehicle past the 3 year mark? This is an insane way to live your life.
Perhaps everyone’s situation is different?

In any event.....I fully extinguished my 5 year / 100,000 mile powertrain warranty on my 2018 RAM 4500 Cab & Chassis in a mere 299 days. I maintain it by the book, and am now at 407k miles. I leave out for 2,800 to 3,300 mile weekly trips and have all confidence that everything will be OK due to my maintenance regimen.

On a sidenote.....I am patiently awaiting my 2022 RAM 5500 Cab & Chassis that was ordered 09/18/2021.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service
I disagree. When I installed spring spacers on the rear of my 2021 JLUR I noticed the rear shocks were leaking. I finished installing the spacers and took the Jeep to the dealer to have the shocks replaced. I have a new set of rear shocks on order under warranty.

With 13000 miles and still under warranty, why not have the dealer replace them at no cost to me?
Shocks leaking? Time to upgrade. Get those factory parts outta here.

Reactions: VNT

Sponsored

gato

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
This is on Jeep's website https://www.jeep.com/warranty.html

WHY IS MY JEEP® BRAND VEHICLE LIMITED WARRANTY VOID?

"There are several circumstances that may void a warranty or cause the manufacturer to deny a warranty claim, including tampering, salvage title (a vehicle that has been written off by an insurer), modifications to the vehicle, etc. A warranty could also be restricted/voided if the vehicle is not properly maintained, abused or neglected and that abuse or neglect interferes with the proper functioning of the vehicle."

While that is not the actual warranty contractual language, I'm sure that was reviewed by their lawyers before being posted on the top warranty page.

OP - that same page has links for you to check the status of your warranty

I find it a little disconcerting that the story you have been told is shifting from just steering/suspension restriction to entire warranty void.

Luckily for you, given how hot the used car market is right now, the worst case scenario is that you simple sell it and move on.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Service

"There are several circumstances that may void a warranty or cause the manufacturer to deny a warranty claim, including tampering, salvage title (a vehicle that has been written off by an insurer), modifications to the vehicle, etc. A warranty could also be restricted/voided if the vehicle is not properly maintained, abused or neglected and that abuse or neglect interferes with the proper functioning of the vehicle."

While that is not the actual warranty contractual language, I'm sure that was reviewed by their lawyers before being posted on the top warranty page.

I find it a little disconcerting that the story you have been told is shifting from just steering/suspension restriction to entire warranty void.

Luckily for you, given how hot the used car market is right now, the worst case scenario is that you simple sell it and move on.
Yes but what problem does that solve? Then someone else has this Jeep being worked on by morons. Do we only care about the current poster? Why not future Jeep owners as well? The solution is simple. Put a lift kit on it and tell that dealer to eat shit.

azwjowner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL; 2004 WJ (sold but never forgotten)
Why?

What possible Jeep suspension or steering repair (the only parts that are restricted) could possibly cost more than paying lawyers fees and waiting for months or years of protracted litigation?

The OP's dealer seems to be very reasonable. Continue to work cooperatively with the dealer.
There would be no protracted litigation on this. For a few hundred dollars a lawyer would write a letter to the selling dealer pointing out, among other things, that the dealer breached the implied warranty of merchantability under the Uniform Commercial Code (the goods don't conform to the reasonable expectations of a buyer, namely that there was a valid express warranty), possible fraud or negligent misrepresentation, and depending on state law, violations of consumer fraud or used motor vehicle disclosure laws as well. Then most likely the selling dealer would immediately agree to take back the Jeep and refund the money. You don't get to litigation when it's this clear.

calemasters

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon Unlimited, & Escalade
Occupation
Retired Mechanical Engineer
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited with 21,500 miles +/-

I took my wife's Jeep into the dealer (AutoNation CJDR of Johnson City, TN) and they told me that a restriction was placed on my warranty because a prior owner had a lift kit installed (and subsequently removed). However, when I purchased the vehicle, there was no lift kit on the vehicle, nor any evidence that there ever had been. I had no reason to suspect that the warranty wasn't in full effect, and I have made no modifications to the Jeep other than adding floor lights & rock lights. My dealer emailed the local area manager, but they have refused to lift the restriction. Can anyone offer advice on getting the restriction lifted?

I'm having steering & suspension concerns, fortunately my dealer is diagnosing the issues at no cost, but I'll be responsible for any repairs... The restriction applies to the steering & suspension. (The 2 most complained about Jeep issues)

We purchased the Jeep in March 2021 with 16,000 miles on it in good faith that the Warranty was intact. The dealer I bought it from (Wallace Nissan of Kingsport) had no idea (and still doesn't b/c I just got off the phone with him) that there was any kind of restriction on the warranty... The CarFax still shows a perfectly clean history with no mention of any kind of problems/issues with the Jeep.

@JeepCares

Here are pictures of the Jeep when we found it on the lot.
Sometimes lifting can affect the steering, suspension, driveline, etc. If the modifications were not authorized by Jeep the manufacture has the right to block applicable warranties. This is stated in the warranty booklet/owner's manual. Even with the vehicle returned to original condition, there may be subsequent damage to some of the components due to the previous modifications, therefore, the warranty block remains.

Since Wallace Nissan of Kingsport is not an authorized Jeep dealer, they do not have access to the Jeep's warranty records or files and would not necessarily be aware of the warranty block. When you buy a used vehicle from and 3rd party, it is buyer beware. AutoNation CJDR of Johnson City will not be able to submit any warranty claims on blocked components, unless Jeep authorizes a warranty block override.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase

From what my dealer has told me, the Dealership responsible for voiding every warranty is the Jeep dealer in Abingdon, VA (about a 30 minute drive from my house). That dealer is known for not knowing what they are doing, and it's entirely possible that they just flagged the Jeep inaccurately resulting in all of the warranties being voided...

My Jeep dealer is trying to get the other warranties reinstated, and it's my understanding that if I trade it in at a Jeep dealer, they can get it recertified and that will reinstate all warranties... I'm checking into what it would cost me to get that part done now...
Sponsored