Sponsored

Warranty Restriction on 2020 Rubi

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited with 21,500 miles +/-

I took my wife's Jeep into the dealer (AutoNation CJDR of Johnson City, TN) and they told me that a restriction was placed on my warranty because a prior owner had a lift kit installed (and subsequently removed). However, when I purchased the vehicle, there was no lift kit on the vehicle, nor any evidence that there ever had been. I had no reason to suspect that the warranty wasn't in full effect, and I have made no modifications to the Jeep other than adding floor lights & rock lights. My dealer emailed the local area manager, but they have refused to lift the restriction. Can anyone offer advice on getting the restriction lifted?

I'm having steering & suspension concerns, fortunately my dealer is diagnosing the issues at no cost, but I'll be responsible for any repairs... The restriction applies to the steering & suspension. (The 2 most complained about Jeep issues)

We purchased the Jeep in March 2021 with 16,000 miles on it in good faith that the Warranty was intact. The dealer I bought it from (Wallace Nissan of Kingsport) had no idea (and still doesn't b/c I just got off the phone with him) that there was any kind of restriction on the warranty... The CarFax still shows a perfectly clean history with no mention of any kind of problems/issues with the Jeep.

@JeepCares

EDIT: Update from my dealer, all warranties were restricted, not just the Steering & Suspension... We are working with the Area Manager and Warranty Manger to try and get these restrictions removed since they shouldn't have been there in the first place...

EDIT #2: See this post for the resolution: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/warranty-restriction-on-2020-rubi.83532/post-1747590

Here are pictures of the Jeep when we found it on the lot.

Jeep Wrangler JL Warranty Restriction on 2020 Rubi Jeep 1.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Warranty Restriction on 2020 Rubi Jeep 2.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Warranty Restriction on 2020 Rubi Jeep 3.JPG

Jeep Wrangler JL Warranty Restriction on 2020 Rubi Jeep 4.JPG

Here's a more recent photo of the Jeep:

Jeep Wrangler JL Warranty Restriction on 2020 Rubi Jeep 5.JPG
Sponsored

Last edited:

John VonJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Many
Look back at your paperwork. Did it mention that you’d be inheriting the remaining warranty? I’m pretty sure Jeep or the dealer had a duty to disclose the restriction. You had no way of knowing the Jeep had a previous lift, and no way of knowing the warranty didn’t transfer. There is no scenario under which you’re at fault, under the facts you’ve given us.

But look back at your paperwork and see what it says first.

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
Also...fist thing to check is which sreering box and if it's been replaced with the newer version. I hate to hear about these warranty restrictions....should be illegal and in your case my be!

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler Sport S JL 2-D
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Professional dancer/male stripper
That's complete crap imo. Now if the owner did mess with the suspension, he technically voided warranty for the suspension components he touched. If your steering issue comes to be a faulty suspension component that needs replace, well....

If the issue is related to the aluminum steering box, then suspension work doesnt have anything to do with that and you should get it replaced under warranty.

Having a lift kit doesnt ruin your warranty. It just affects those components. See, I messed with my suspension, I installed a Rubicon suspension on my Sport. And dealer made it clear, if something happens to your shocks, or coils, it is on you. But that's about it. I messed with my front differential and installed a locker, my front differential warranty is voided.

Dont worry much about it, and know your rights. The suspension warranty isn't that important. I've had warranty work done in my jeep since all my mods. Dealers don't care, unless it has to do with the suspension itself.

Now do look into the paperwork. If this previous work was not disclosed to you, then I feel they shouldn't void your suspension warranty.

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. Never heard of such thing either. Sounds like horse shit.

OP: the fact that the dealer is so willing to do the diagnosis “for free” on condition that you pay for the repairs later raises some red flags with me. It costs the dealer time and money to do these diagnoses. I still have to meet a Jeep dealer that is that self-less; it must smell a big payoff at some point.

Is the dealer itself the one telling you that there’s a “warranty restriction” on your VIN and that Stellantis does not want to lift it? Have you seen any official documentation from Stellantis acknowledging this restriction, or its refusal to lift it?

I’d see if JeepCares can confirm or deny that such “warranty restriction” really exists on your VIN. If not, I’d try a different dealer.

Good luck.

Last edited:
OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah. Never heard of such thing either. Sounds like horse shit.

OP: the fact that the dealer is so willing to do the diagnosis “for free” on condition that you pay for the repairs later raises some red flags with me. It costs the dealer time and money to do these diagnoses. I still have to meet a Jeep dealer that is that self-less; it must smell a big payoff at some point.

Is the dealer itself the one telling you that there’s a “warranty restriction” on your VIN and that Stellantis does not want to lift it? Have you seen any official documentation from Stellantis acknowledging this restriction, or its refusal to lift it?

I’d see if JeepCares can confirm or deny that such “warranty restriction” really exists on your VIN. If not, I’d try a different dealer.

Good luck.

I've sent an e-mail to @JeepCares but haven't heard back yet. The "restriction" popped up when they keyed in the VIN #. My dealer is pretty reputable and knows I spend quote a bit of money there, so I don't think they are trying to stick it to me. They recently gave me a free oil change & tire rotation even though they weren't supposed to technically.

The dealer is doing other unrelated warranty work on the Jeep and said they would go ahead and diagnose the problem at no charge and let me know what the repair cost would be.

OP
OP
JSFoster75

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Look back at your paperwork. Did it mention that you’d be inheriting the remaining warranty? I’m pretty sure Jeep or the dealer had a duty to disclose the restriction. You had no way of knowing the Jeep had a previous lift, and no way of knowing the warranty didn’t transfer. There is no scenario under which you’re at fault, under the facts you’ve given us.

But look back at your paperwork and see what it says first.
I've already talked to the dealer I bought it from, he went back and looked and said there was no indication whatsoever that the warranty was restricted, and there is no "record" of it ever having a lift on it that he can find.

SSWIM

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
The whole crux of this is that the dealer, when submitting for warranty will have it "kicked" back due to the vehicle being "flagged" for previous mods. Not the dealers fault at all.

Sam

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
The whole crux of this is that the dealer, when submitting for warranty will have it "kicked" back due to the vehicle being "flagged" for previous mods. Not the dealers fault at all.

Sam
My Jeep has been modified. When I submitted warranty claims, it was never "kicked" back.

Sponsored

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Did the repairs involve anything that was modded??

Sam
It didnt. Thats my point. Maybe there confusion. I had 2 busted shocks, those I had to replace myself. The warranty work was completely unrelated, aux battery and front seats issues.

Then went to the dealer for a clunk. They told me if it isnt related to coils and shocks we will fix it under warranty. It was related to shocks, so it is on me.

My Jeep doesnt like rubi shocks

Last edited:

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Seems pretty clear to me that the selling dealer owns this issue. They didn't do due diligence in their preparation to represent it for sale. They portrayed it as fully covered under factory warranty. As the Indian said; F#% um. They should volunteer to accept any parts and labor coverage that is "restricted". If not, I see a deceptive practices lawsuit in the making.
Sponsored