Warranty Heads Up. Not Always Dealers Fault

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Before I type anything I want to say that this is not for bashing dealers, MOPAR, Stellantis, Salesman, or Service Writers. If you have a problem with any of them, start your own post.

I work for a GM/CDJR store, and have for 22 years. My JLUR has a 3.5 Metalcloak lift, Fox 2.5's and 37" Beadlocks. I knew doing all this stuff would cause some warranty issues. That being said Stellantis has all the control over warranty issues, not the dealer. They are a photo company. If something is broke the dealer has to send pictures of the part, and the vehicle in then they decide if it is warranty or not. Now, that's not for every part. If I come in with a broke driveshaft they have to send pictures, and it will not be covered because of the lift height and other things. Stellantis has said they will not warranty driveline parts if a vehicle has over a 2" lift. My guess it because that's the biggest they offer. While I do agree some of the rules suck it's not our fault. Just like my Jeep. I do maintenance by the book including diff, transmission, and engine oil. Probably go a little overboard actually, but that's just how I am. It does suck that someone who did no modifications can do something stupid and get it covered under warranty, but I can't because of lift. The reason for this is I see a lot of people bashing dealers and acting like it's our fault. Believe me, most dealers want warranty repair. It's how we make money. Yes customer pay is better, but something is better than nothing. At least that's how we are here. Unfortunately If they say they won't warranty it, there is nothing we can do to change there mind. Once we send pics in, and they deny the claim we are screwed. Then it's our fault, and we don't want to work on your Jeep and so on. GM, Ford, and many other manufacturers are the exact same way. Only difference is we drive the most modified vehicle made. 98% of all Wranglers have some accessory on them. Several Billion dollar a year industry for just Jeeps. I do see both sides, we pay X dollars for something and expect it to work. Now, if something electrical goes wrong I'm covered still, but not much as far as powertrain goes. Anyway, just wanted to say that it's not always our fault. I do my best to help everyone, but I can only do what's allowed. After that it's out of my hands.
Sponsored

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Yeah, this is what most of us knew. Why would A dealer waste time making a claim that will surely get rejected by corprorate...so that dealer just rejects the customer right off, so it seems like the dealer is the a-hole.

Also, a service dept can't have a forensic mechanic on staff to decipher which parts caused the issue; oem or after market, or the interaction of the parts, etc.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, this is what most of us knew. Why would A dealer waste time making a claim that will surely get rejected by corprorate...so that dealer just rejects the customer right off, so it seems like the dealer is the a-hole.

Also, a service dept can't have a forensic mechanic on staff to decipher which parts caused the issue; oem or after market, or the interaction of the parts, etc.
Yup. There is a right way and a wrong way to deliver news to the customer.

Most Jeep dealer are too busy to even try, so they default to "asshole" mode.

My Jeep dealer makes up excuses that have NOTHING to do with the issue at hand just to get rid of me. I went in for a squeaky driver seat and they ridicule me with stuff like "that lift is not factory" or "those bumpers are not factory." The lift was Mopar and the steel bumpers came from the factory on my Recon.

But anyway, they are all a bunch of a-holes as far as I am concerned.

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
Yup. There is a right way and a wrong way to deliver news to the customer.

Most Jeep dealer are too busy to even try, so they default to "asshole" mode.
Agreed, and they can lose you as customer forever. That's no small thing. If they are willing to lose you like that, then their hands really are tied.

Sponsored

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
If any of us ran a service department, we also would do everything possible to not get held paying for a warranty claim that ends up getting denied. Just be nice about it.

As per the OP's statement on the Jeep Wrangler being the most modified vehicle on the road, I agree...they need to give Wrangler customers more leeway, but will only do that if they put that into their marketing somehow, and generate more sales (profits) to cover the losses.

OP
OP
jellis4148

jellis4148

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
I agree with that. Some people shouldn’t be talking to customers. It’s our hard earned dollars and we would like it fixed. If you can explain nicely what happened and sympathize with me I will be angry at first but will calm down and understand. Granted I can’t make everyone happy. I wish I could, but I try my best to listen, repeat the concern to make sure I understand, sympathize, show empathy and do what I can to make it right. If I can’t I try to come up with a solution. A lot of times I’ll eat some of the labor if I feel the problem is genuine and it wasn’t cause by negligence and you can tell if something broke because of normal wear or if they jumped the thing off a cliff.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
To expand on this, some issues that seem like they should be warrantied will be denied if it is already apparent to the manufacturer there is/will be a successful class action lawsuit. The current JL clutches might fall into that category eventually. They don’t want to pay for the work when they know they’re going to have to pay a settlement too.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
If any of us ran a service department, we also would do everything possible to not get held paying for a warranty claim that ends up getting denied. Just be nice about it.

As per the OP's statement on the Jeep Wrangler being the most modified vehicle on the road, I agree...they need to give Wrangler customers more leeway, but will only do that if they put that into their marketing somehow, and generate more sales (profits) to cover the losses.
Yeah. And that is what really incenses me.

FCA/Jeep/Mopar to go great lengths to showcase their Wrangler accessories. You then pay a premium buying Mopar stuff believing that the dealer will honor your warranty. Well, think again...

LiveToWork

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 3500HD
Occupation
Oil patch
Whats worse is when the dealership hires people who you think never saw a car before.

i told the guy at the desk that my mirrors lost power ever since the first time i took the doors off, and now blindspot monitoring no longer works….

he came back with the explanation that i should adjust my mirrors BEFORE I take them off the jeep, because they lose power when you unplug them….What?!?!?

Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
To expand on this, some issues that seem like they should be warrantied will be denied if it is already apparent to the manufacturer there is/will be a successful class action lawsuit. The current JL clutches might fall into that category eventually. They don’t want to pay for the work when they know they’re going to have to pay a settlement too.
So five years later you get a check for $35 for all your troubles... 😫

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Whats worse is when the dealership hires people who you think never saw a car before.

i told the guy at the desk that my mirrors lost power ever since the first time i took the doors off, and now blindspot monitoring no longer works….

he came back with the explanation that i should adjust my mirrors BEFORE I take them off the jeep, because they lose power when you unplug them….What?!?!?
Didn't you know? FCA holds an annual award for dealers' most "original" responses...

Last edited:

FloridaLarry

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubi 4xe
Occupation
IT Manager
So five years later you get a check for $35 for all your troubles... 😫
Correct.. class action lawsuits are very bad... except for the lawyers involved. Everyone else gets the shaft, here's how:

The manufacturer being sued suddenly stops responding to the issue, claiming its 'pending litigation'. If they try to fix it, that's an admission of guilt. So even if they can fix the issue (albeit slowly and inconsistently), they will not.

The class action will not end up causing an improvement to the situation. They just address it on the next full re-design.

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Getting back to the original post: yes, dealers do decide when to deny a warranty claim. HOWEVER, dealers are responsible for communicating with, and retaining customers. But apparently those tasks are beyond the abilities of the average Jeep dealer.

Here is another contributing factor:

Wranglers, like every other vehicle, has become significantly more complex. Warranty claims that used to take two days to fix now normally take 2 weeks. If you ever had to remove the head unit on a JL you know what I am talking about. This has to be playing a key role in dealers sending customers packing before they even get a fair hearing. But this approach is going to backfire in the long run.
Sponsored