Sponsored

Warranty - decisions...what are you going with?

OP
OP
The_Irish_Weaver

The_Irish_Weaver

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler Sport S - 2-door - Manual
It's just a plain old fact. Insurance isn't a good bet, ever. It's such a good idea that we have to mandate it for drivers, and raise prices through the roof on healthcare. You're better off saving your money and paying out of pocket.

I work directly with the dirtbags that refuse the warranty claims. They are almost never worth the money. Now someone will obviously come by and say BUT I GOT A NEW TRANSMISSION, being the exception to the rule.
so I just got finished with a 7 month long engine replacement on my POS renegade - and these scumbags from FCA came and authorized all parts BUT the engine block - my service guy had to fight his way up the ladder at FCA to explain that when a cylinder piston fails and breaks apart inside the engine you can’t reuse the damn block - they spent months saying “sorry we closed the case”. Absolutely a nightmare - used to be the dealer did the work and then get reimbursed by corporate - now these scumbags have to come and inspect and decide if they want to cover it

my transmission replacement was another nightmare
Sponsored

gregus73

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0, 2021 Suburban Z71
Occupation
Stuff
I found that best warranty deal was for my wife’s Lexus….
We we’re on the fence about the Lexus brand..so leased one for her. My wife decided that she really likes it and wanted to buy it….only had 8k miles for a 2019.

Long story short, we bought it through our credit union and they offered a full 100k warranty or 9 years for $1100.
Best warranty deal that I have found.

I have an extended warranty on my Jeep too….For me it is peace of mind.

Kraty1

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
Occupation
Sales & Marketing
I purchased the lifetime Mopar warranty on my 2018, and my understanding is that it’s the same as the factory with the addition of a $100 deductible. Not sure the cost as I rolled it into the loan, which is now paid off. This was my first new vehicle purchase and I never planned for any extended warranty, however my understanding is that as long as I own the vehicle it’s covered, which on a newly redesigned Jeep I figure that’s as good as it gets. So good in fact I don’t believe Jeep offers it anymore, and considering I only have about 18k on it and plan to pass to my daughter, I think we’ll have it a while!

james@15

First Name
Al
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Red JL Sahara
My warranty was something like 2500. This brake part that I had replaced was roughly 550 . How many hours labor? Seems not hard to have 500 in labor. Roughly... I would have paid 1K. I paid 200.00 with warranty . So at 3 years and 26K I am on my way to having this warranty paid for. I plan to keep this vehicle for a very long time. I gambled that the electronics will be needing serious work in the future. I really hope I am wrong and I lose my 2500.00 .

Sponsored

Xcoaste

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR - Past - '13 JKU, '97 TJ, '93 YJ
I haven't ever bought one. I don't pile the miles on and do all regular maintenance.

I do get phone calls and emails trying to sell it to me weekly though.

TheRaven

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU 80th
Occupation
Electrical, Mechanical, and Aerospace Engineering.
If you have to pay upwards of $3000 for your warranty, then I would probably agree that it's not worth it. But you shouldn't have to pay that much. I was offered 5 years of MaxCare for $860 in the F&I office the day we picked up the Wrangler. That's a no-brainer...with the JL you are virtually guaranteed to get your money back plus on that deal.

That said, I would not own a JL without a warranty. Ever.

Also I want to add in the disclaimer I always put in these discussions...in response to the "warranty companies would be out of business if they didn't make money on their warranties". That's a very short-sighted statement. All factory warranties are backed by one of only a few large insurance funds...they underwrite policies all over the map - for all automakers. They definitely make money...but that fact tells you NOTHING about the warranty you are buying on vehicle X. Money is made across the entire spectrum of policies, which means effectively that Camry, Accord, and Malibu warranty profits pay for Renegade, Wrangler, and E-Class (lol) warranty losses. If you are buying a Camry, you are unlikely to get your money's worth out of an extended warranty. If you are buying a JL, you are virtually guaranteed.
Sponsored