Sponsored

Warranty and Extended Warranty JLURD

DwnSth

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 TJ : 2021 JLURD
I have a 2021 JLURD on order. One thing I have been considering is the extended warranty. What is the standard power train warranty on the Diesel? Are there any 'samll print' items to be concerned about? Any special issues with extended warranties and the diesel? It looks like there is an extra charge if you get the mopar lift coverage. Also hoping to get some basic ideas of cost of the extended warranties.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I have a 2021 JLURD on order. One thing I have been considering is the extended warranty. What is the standard power train warranty on the Diesel? Are there any 'samll print' items to be concerned about? Any special issues with extended warranties and the diesel? It looks like there is an extra charge if you get the mopar lift coverage. Also hoping to get some basic ideas of cost of the extended warranties.
Most will point you to the Mopar extended warranty, but be sure to check GEICO's version of the product. That said, extended warranties are rarely worth it. It is an oft-discussed, polarizing subject. If you search extended warranties in this forum, you will get dozens of hits. I doubt that there is any new information that hasn't been discussed already at length.

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
Warranties may be worth it for the diesel due to issues with the DEF tank and other related parts which are only covered by the 3/36. Some state emission laws may override this i.e. california 7/70k. Check your local state requirements with regards to extended coverage that may extend your coverage.

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Anybody who is planning to keep an EcoDiesel long term should strongly consider the extended warranty. These are not high mileage engines.

At 5,500 miles, I just had a repair done that would have cost around $2,000 out of warranty. It only takes one repair on the diesel to pay for the warranty. Then you have things like the Bosch CP4 fuel injection pump which have been known to grenade and if that happens you're talking $8,000+. Nothing is cheap on these.

GearWhore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR Diesel, 1972 Arctic Cat Climber, 2006 Triumph Speed Triple
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Gentleman Explorer
Most will point you to the Mopar extended warranty, but be sure to check GEICO's version of the product. That said, extended warranties are rarely worth it. It is an oft-discussed, polarizing subject. If you search extended warranties in this forum, you will get dozens of hits. I doubt that there is any new information that hasn't been discussed already at length.
Have you used the Geico MBI? Didn't know about it until your suggestion.

I had the extended service contract with my 2018 Trailhawk (thinking we were going to keep it a lot longer), but it turned out to be crap from SLV Jeep (horrible dealer on all accounts). Finance manager told us we could use it anywhere, but when we needed it, they pointed to the fine print that any issues within 40 miles of the selling dealer need to be addressed by the selling dealer. I live 38 miles from the dealer (about an hour drive). Had bad wheel bearings diagnosed by my local dealer but SLV wouldn't release the work to them, and instead I had to have it towed up to SLC and waste two additional days. A few issues like that turned me off from the extended service contract crap.

Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
Anybody who is planning to keep an EcoDiesel long term should strongly consider the extended warranty. These are not high mileage engines.

At 5,500 miles, I just had a repair done that would have cost around $2,000 out of warranty. It only takes one repair on the diesel to pay for the warranty. Then you have things like the Bosch CP4 fuel injection pump which have been known to grenade and if that happens you're talking $8,000+. Nothing is cheap on these.
WXman, this is not aimed at you, by any means, just a general observation. Every time I hear Chris Berman pitching CarShield I chuckle. Their strategy is two fold:
  • Scare consumers that car repairs are inevitable and EXPENSIVE.
  • Then show the solution > CarShield (or in this case Mopar extended warranty)
I don't deny that these products are helpful in some cases, but providers pay out, on average, $.40 for every $1.00 that they collect in premiums. Someone is losing out, and it's not the warranty providers. The only absolute, for sure, is that you'll be writing a check for about $2,000 on day one.

I suggest GEICO MBI as an alternative (although I still won't buy any warranty insurance of any kind) because it's about $60/year, can be cancelled at any time, and is backed by GEICO's (Berkshire Hathaway) vast financial reserves. What does the consumer do if their warranty provider folds?

Last edited:

Russ Chung

First Name
Russ
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2005 TJ
Warranties may be worth it for the diesel due to issues with the DEF tank and other related parts which are only covered by the 3/36. Some state emission laws may override this i.e. california 7/70k. Check your local state requirements with regards to extended coverage that may extend your coverage.
I don't have my JLURD yet, but this is what is printed on the window sticker:

WARRANTY COVERAGE
5–year or 100,000–mile Powertrain Limited Warranty
3–year or 36,000–mile Basic Limited Warranty.
Ask Dealer for a copy of the limited warranties or
see your owner's manual for details.

diesel_jeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4bt Cj
WXman, this is not aimed at you, by any means, just a general observation. Every time I hear Chris Berman pitching CarShield I chuckle. Their strategy is two fold:
  • Scare consumers that car repairs are inevitable and EXPENSIVE.
  • Then show the solution > CarShield (or in this case Mopar extended warranty)
I don't deny that these products are helpful in some cases, but providers pay out, on average, $.40 for every $1.00 that they collect in premiums. Someone is losing out, and it's not the warranty providers. The only absolute, for sure, is that you'll be writing a check for about $2,000 on day one.

I suggest GEICO MBI as an alternative (although I still won't buy any warranty insurance of any kind) because it's about $60/year, can be cancelled at any time, and is backed by GEICO's (Berkshire Hathaway) vast financial reserves. What does the consumer do if their warranty provider folds?
I believe the
I don't have my JLURD yet, but this is what is printed on the window sticker:

WARRANTY COVERAGE
5–year or 100,000–mile Powertrain Limited Warranty
3–year or 36,000–mile Basic Limited Warranty.
Ask Dealer for a copy of the limited warranties or
see your owner's manual for details.
Yea the 3/36k stacks on top of the 2/24 mandated federal emission warranty. Emission comoponents are excluded from the power train per the diesel supplemental manual. Some states have an emission warranty that stacks on top of the 3/36k like the aforementioned California emission warranty which is 7/70k

imjester77

First Name
Frank
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU Eco Diesel; 2014 JKU Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
The Def system is not remotely covered past the 3/36 warranty. My Def system went catatonic on me after 5k miles and now I’m waiting for parts that apparently won’t show up until mid November! The pump and injectors are over $5500! If it happened out of warranty I would have needed a small loan to cover this. On top of the large loan to buy the Jeep! Get the warranty unless you plan on dropping the Def once the warranty is out. But then the drivetrain warranty will be questioned at that point because of bypassing the emissions requirement.

aaronrr

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Toyota 4runner
Does anyone know if the aftermarket warranties cover you when you add heavier tires and use the jeep offroad? That's my biggest concern is them denying a claim because I have a dent in a skid plate or something.

Curious if anyone has experience with it who offroads their rig in any way.
Sponsored