Sponsored

Warped / Slanted bumper on JL Sport

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JL Sport
Ok I'm throwing this out to the forum before I haul my week old JL Unlimited Sport back to the dealer to have it looked at. My wife noticed this weekend that our rear bumper and left rear fender gap was different. I looked at it and sure enough its like there is a twist or warp to the left side. I don't see anyway to adjust the bumper mount to accommodate leveling so I'm assuming its a bad part from the factory. Has anyone else noticed miss aligned or port fitting panels on their new JL's? Its not severe but its noticeable. Plans to upgrade will come in the future but have to ride it stock for now.
IMG_6322.JPG
Sponsored

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)
Sean, whether others have the issue or not, this needs to go to the dealer to have them "fix it".
Sometimes Fit & Finish issues can be overlooked, but I would want this looked at if it were mine - given the tow package and possible receiver impacts.
I don't have my Jeep yet, so I can't say if this is normal or not compared to mine, but I have not noticed others talking about it and from my visits to the sales lots, I did not notice anything like this. But, perhaps I should have had your wife with me, she obviously has good eyes for this kind of thing.

OP
OP
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sean, whether others have the issue or not, this needs to go to the dealer to have them "fix it".
Sometimes Fit & Finish issues can be overlooked, but I would want this looked at if it were mine - given the tow package and possible receiver impacts.
I don't have my Jeep yet, so I can't say if this is normal or not compared to mine, but I have not noticed others talking about it and from my visits to the sales lots, I did not notice anything like this. But, perhaps I should have had your wife with me, she obviously has good eyes for this kind of thing.
Yeah she has an eagle eye. I had a TJ previously and after years of abuse the stock bumper was still straight so this was a little strange. Its headed into the dealer to get it resolved. I'll get to see what that experience is like.

OP
OP
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If anyone is following. Brought the Jeep into the dealer this morning to have the bumper situation looked at. The mechanic said it just needed to be adjusted and they rescheduled me for their body shop guy to deal with it later in the week. I asked if it was possible the bumper itself was twisted and he said know that there is adjustment notches in the bumper mount to get it leveled. Anyone familiar with the amount of adjustment that can be done with the stock rear bumper mounts? I looked at the mounting screws and did see anything but I haven't taken a JL bumper apart before. I'm going to be pissed if their idea of an adjustment is a hammer and crowbar to try and bend it up.

old8tora

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JK Sport
I'm going to be pissed if their idea of an adjustment is a hammer and crowbar to try and bend it up.
You have correctly predicted what they will do , and , after they screw it up more , you will have wished you kept it the way it was .

By the way , it is only slightly noticeable , even after looking at it more than once . No one else will ever notice it .

Sponsored

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
The tailgate gap is wider on the top left and the tail lights are mounted at different angles--

You shouldn't own a/this jeep-

Whatever

JIMBO

JIMBOX

First Name
JAMES
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CHEROKEE TRAILHAWK/ JEEP GLADIATOR
Occupation
RETIRED
The tailgate gap is wider on the top left and the tail lights are mounted at different angles--

You shouldn't own a/this jeep-

Whatever

JIMBO

Warpath2018

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubi Firecracker Red
I have had my Rubicon just a little over a week and just noticed this yesterday. I came on here, and low and behold, someone else has the same issue! I have not had a chance to check other new Wranglers to see if they are all the same. FYI, I don't think the bumper is crooked. I put a level on it and it was even. Maybe the body is a little bit warped. There is a difference of 1/4". Just live with it, because the dealer will probably just mangle your bumper. I would wait until someone on here takes the time to tear their bumper apart and see if it actually can just be adjusted. Or get an aftermarket bumper which might solve the issue. :-/

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I don't think the bumper is crooked. I put a level on it and it was even. Maybe the body is a little bit warped. There is a difference of 1/4"./
Not sure I understand your statement about the level. The bumper can only be level in relation to some other part of the Jeep, whether the frame or body. If itā€™s level with the frame, meaning youā€™ve taken measurements of the frame/bumper relationship and they are the same left and right then maybe you are correct that the body is off level with the frame. Maybe the frame is warped where the bumper mounts.

I honestly have no idea how the bumpers mount but I imagine the holes allow for some adjustment.

I was driving behind a JLU Sport the other day and noticed the body did look a little off level with the axle. It just caught my attention. The passenger side seemed lower. Only the driver was in the vehicle.

Sponsored

Warpath2018

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Unlimited Rubi Firecracker Red
I have a 4ā€™ level ruler. In my garage, where it is level, I placed my ruler across the bumper. Even. I then placed my ruler on top of my hardtop. Slight lean to the right. (Looking towards the rear of the vehicle.) Nothing exact, but seems to explain it.

The 1/4ā€ is measuring the gap between the fender flare and bumper.

Jeepsterfreak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Honda, Future JLU
I have a 4ā€™ level ruler. In my garage, where it is level, I placed my ruler across the bumper. Even. I then placed my ruler on top of my hardtop. Slight lean to the right. (Looking towards the rear of the vehicle.) Nothing exact, but seems to explain it.

The 1/4ā€ is measuring the gap between the fender flare and bumper.
Okay. Got it. The bumper is level in relation to your garage floor but the hardtop is not.

OP
OP
First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
They had to remove my bumper and reinstall it. They fixed the slant but now itā€™s tipping. I showed them other jeeps on the lot and they said I was right but just gave up because they wanted to send it back to the body shop. Now my rear door isnā€™t opening. He latch pops but then you have to jerk hard to get it to open. My wife canā€™t force it open and has to have me come pull on it. I think the hinges are off adjustment so now my jeeps got to go back to the body shop. Sad thing is my Jeep hasnā€™t even seen the trails yet. Just got a lemon with body fitting issues

NM Original

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2002 Jeep GC Overland, 2005 Chevy SSR, 2007 BMW 650-GS, 2015 CanAm F3, 2018 Wrangler JL Rubicon Turbo, 2Door (on order)
That all sounds like a Frame issue.
With a frame problem, you end up with lots of alignment and fit problems, squeaks and wind noise. And the rear door not opening is a classic sign.
Sponsored