WARNING - Ultimate Dana 44 Axle

Wightmn

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I bought an Ultimate Dana 44 axle through my Jeep dealership. Apparently the Mopar axle differs from the Spicer ultimate 44. It came with the standard, cheaper oem ball joints. The OEM ball joints are not greasable and have plastic internal bushings. Nowhere is it stated that the Mopar and the Spicer axles are different. All advertising shows the axle with grease zerks.

Several emails to Spicer and was told "that's the way we build them for jeep." So much for standing behind your product.

Short version. Don't buy an ultimate 44 from mopar. Get it from a spicer dealer and verify you are getting what you paid for.
Sponsored

Trill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL
You probably already know this but the UD44 balljoints come with flush fittings not nipples. And mine were painted so you might not notice they are grease fittings if you were expecting bronze nipples. But if the tops of your balljoints are totally flat then yea that is a bummer. Sorry to hear. Here is what mine looked like for reference.

Jeep Wrangler JL WARNING - Ultimate Dana 44 Axle b

word302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
I bought an Ultimate Dana 44 axle through my Jeep dealership. Apparently the Mopar axle differs from the Spicer ultimate 44. It came with the standard, cheaper oem ball joints. The OEM ball joints are not greasable and have plastic internal bushings. Nowhere is it stated that the Mopar and the Spicer axles are different. All advertising shows the axle with grease zerks.

Several emails to Spicer and was told "that's the way we build them for jeep." So much for standing behind your product.

Short version. Don't buy an ultimate 44 from mopar. Get it from a spicer dealer and verify you are getting what you paid for.
Don't feel bad, I don't think the HD ball joints are that much better than the oem. The Dynatrac ball joints are the only ones that seem to hold up to any real abuse.

OP
OP
Wightmn

Wightmn

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Totally flat.

6DE841FD-6B79-4652-888A-B8A075EBCF99.jpeg

Trill

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
19 JL
Man that's a bummer ted. Either Mopar doesn't want to sell stuff that requires maintenance through their official channel, or they just want to save $200-300 per axle but still charge you the same price.

Sponsored

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
Send it back, get a refund and buy mine already complete when i take it off for cheaper lol

Moto_21

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Occupation
Maintenance
Vehicle Showcase
I want that axle! lol gonna be tough to wait it out tho
They are going to try for sooner than 7 weeks lol. Im one week down so far