Sponsored

Warning to all… Speaker Polarity Issues. Question at the bottom of post.

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
I got my 2018 JLR in November of 2018 with the 8.4 Nav and Alpine® Premium Audio System for $1,595. It is a weekend drive and only have 1,200 miles. The speakers sounded so good much better than my 2001 TJ that had the worst sound and just did not turn radio on as had the top off.

So had some dash speaker act up and replaced them with https://www.crutchfield.com/p_108R3032CM/Infinity-Reference-REF-3032cfx.html Great sound… Do not install the capacitors, I had a long conversation with mfg. as I was getting a popping sound at shutdown and startup.

So had some PM conversations with others and did some YouTube checks on Polarity… To my surprise I have 6 speakers had a negative polarity miss wiring. So I put the Ref-3032cfx in the dash and fixed the polarity as well as used the same speaker in the sound bar.

I had to fix the 4” polarity by pulling out wires connectors from the quick connect and retest. I did not take photo, sorry but just use a good flashlight and will see a white tab that needs to be lifted up. O and lift up the back stop so the pins come out the rear like butter.

I used a FwaeH FH-168 polarity tester and downloaded the cd to a USB flash drive to play the test sound. NOTE: I could not get the polarity app for iPhone to work so got credit and purchase https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07MQ55QHL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 for $14.00

Since I have a USB of the test sound, PM me and will send to you if you do not have computer with a cd drive to make a mp3 for USB flash drive.

So now I have the knee speakers upfront and need to change the polarity. I have read that you have to take the dash out to get to them… Well, on the first sunny day will see if I can get to the wires without taking the dash apart. ANYONE DONE THIS???

I hope this will help you brothers and sister Jeepers. Let me know if you need more detail….
Sponsored

Gaust

First Name
Todd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Rubicon, 2018 Renegade Trailhawk
I’ve replaced the lower dash speakers with the meta speaker pods. You might be able to reach the driver’s side connector. The dash is very tight and the connection is on the back of the speaker pod.

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
Interesting, what issues were you having that you needed to check polarity? I've seen this discussed many times on here but not sure what it causes. I think my infinity dash speakers sound good as is, but my knees don't sound great and wouldn't be interested in seeing if it is in fact a polarity issue. Luckily I didn't use the rubber grommet on my Metra pods, so my wires are very easy to get to.

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks for encouragement... sunny today may be warm enough to check it out.

I’ve replaced the lower dash speakers with the meta speaker pods. You might be able to reach the driver’s side connector. The dash is very tight and the connection is on the back of the speaker pod.

OP
OP
MacJack

MacJack

First Name
-O)|||||(O-Jack
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL 2 Door
Vehicle Showcase
What made me to check polarity was the speakers started to sound bad over time. I also read all the post on speaker changing and a few said check the polarity.

It is possible that the the upper dash Infinity you have are wired correctly and you knees speakers are wired wrong.

Tell me about what you said, "rubber grommet on my Metra pods" send me a photo of what that is as I did not have one on my Metra wire.

Interesting, what issues were you having that you needed to check polarity? I've seen this discussed many times on here but not sure what it causes. I think my infinity dash speakers sound good as is, but my knees don't sound great and wouldn't be interested in seeing if it is in fact a polarity issue. Luckily I didn't use the rubber grommet on my Metra pods, so my wires are very easy to get to.

Sponsored

LSguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Willys
The rubber grommet was attached to the factory knee pods, you were supposed to remove it and put it in the giant hole on the back of the metra pods.

DarkhorseJL

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 2.0L (owned 12 other Jeeps)
Occupation
Behavioral / Clinical Psychologist
The drivers side knee panel speaker does NOT agent reversed, it's all in sync. The only speaker that's reversed is the passenger side knee panel speaker.
Sponsored