Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
Won't be for quite some time for me to replace the clutch but I'm curious about the Center Force ones when that day comes.

In terms of feel, what's it like compared to stock? The stock is very light which does come in handy when you spend the day on the trails or climbing over rocks. Is it a heavier or more firm clutch?
Sponsored

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Won't be for quite some time for me to replace the clutch but I'm curious about the Center Force ones when that day comes.

In terms of feel, what's it like compared to stock? The stock is very light which does come in handy when you spend the day on the trails or climbing over rocks. Is it a heavier or more firm clutch?
In my experience itā€™s a little firmer than stock but itā€™s still generally light compared to other vehicles Iā€™ve felt. The centerforce seems to let me feel a lot more but still no fatigue if Iā€™m driving all day.
The stock set up was a little too light for me. Had no feedback when I had any type of boots on. This made life on the trails difficult. But the heavy flywheel included with these kits is a huge bonus Offroad. It smooths out engagement in low gears while reducing likelihood of stalling. I find that it generally reduces the bucking and oscillation a lot of us see in low gear as well. Itā€™s been a game changer for me on the technical stuff.
I think itā€™ll be a great upgrade for a lot of people once everything is worked out.

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase
In my experience itā€™s a little firmer than stock but itā€™s still generally light compared to other vehicles Iā€™ve felt. The centerforce seems to let me feel a lot more but still no fatigue if Iā€™m driving all day.
The stock set up was a little too light for me. Had no feedback when I had any type of boots on. This made life on the trails difficult. But the heavy flywheel included with these kits is a huge bonus Offroad. It smooths out engagement in low gears while reducing likelihood of stalling. I find that it generally reduces the bucking and oscillation a lot of us see in low gear as well. Itā€™s been a game changer for me on the technical stuff.
I think itā€™ll be a great upgrade for a lot of people once everything is worked out.
Thanks for the info. Yeah the bucking and jarring would be nice to get rid of. I'll wait until bugs are worked out since mine is practically new, having been replaced once because of bad throw out bearing, and there are other thing I could drop $1k on :)

vasil

First Name
Very_cool_Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jl rubicon 2018
It is interesting Quadratec has none in stock and don't expect parts until March 2021. I wonder if they are working on the issue and will release an update to address the issues some have experienced. I would think they would offer a replacement clutch disc and pressure plate to those that have had issues. Definitely could argue that the parts weren't fit for their intended purpose when an average clutch disc makes it to 50,000 minimum.
They are working on the issue it will be perfect soon.

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
I spoke with Centerforce and they advised me that they should have a new updated clutch releasing March/April. Hopefully they give me a whole new clutch instead of just the "fixed" pieces.

Sponsored

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Maybe another issue related to the clutch, I believe it's possibly related to cold temps. Randomly when I first start up the vehicle I cannot for the life of me get into reverse or first gear. If I turn off the Jeep, shift into reverse, then startup the Jeep all is good and I can roll away. The shifting smooths out as the vehicle warms up from driving it. Anyone else experiencing anything like this?

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe another issue related to the clutch, I believe it's possibly related to cold temps. Randomly when I first start up the vehicle I cannot for the life of me get into reverse or first gear. If I turn off the Jeep, shift into reverse, then startup the Jeep all is good and I can roll away. The shifting smooths out as the vehicle warms up from driving it. Anyone else experiencing anything like this?
My first gear is definitely sticky when itā€™s cold. However, it always goes into gear without too much trouble. I just feel it a bit more than usual. It was like this with the stock clutch as well as the centerforce. Next time you have a cold start, pump the clutch about 50 times before you fire it up. If it goes into gear smoothly, it means there is air in the hydro line and the clutch isnā€™t fully disengaging on a normal start up.

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
My first gear is definitely sticky when itā€™s cold. It was like this with the stock clutch as well as the centerforce. Next time you have a cold start, pump the clutch about 50 times before you fire it up. If it goes into gear smoothly, it means there is air in the hydro line and the clutch isnā€™t fully disengaging on a normal start up.
Doesn't hurt to give it a shot I guess!

For me I can't even get it into to gear, I tried slamming it once.... or twice .... just to see if I could force it in and no go, no grinding or weird noises, just simply would not go into first or reverse.

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

For me I can't even get it into to gear, I tried slamming it once.... or twice .... just to see if I could force it in and no go, no grinding or weird noises, just simply would not go into first or reverse.

Yeah give it a shot and see. I'm really not a fan of these cable actuated shifters. Almost impossible to tell whether shifting resistance is coming from poorly adjusted cables, unhappy synchros, a dragging clutch, or something else entirely. But if you pump the pedal and notice a difference, it's definitely because some air is back in the line.

OP
OP

HeavyUser

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
Yeah give it a shot and see. I'm really not a fan of these cable actuated shifters. Almost impossible to tell whether shifting resistance is coming from poorly adjusted cables, unhappy synchros, a dragging clutch, or something else entirely. But if you pump the pedal and notice a difference, it's definitely because some air is back in the line.
Pumping the clutch didn't change anything. The fix seems to be to throw it into 3rd, then shift to reverse. Fixes the stuck gear every time, so weird.

Sponsored

fdFifty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Pumping the clutch didn't change anything. The fix seems to be to throw it into 3rd, then shift to reverse. Fixes the stuck gear every time, so weird.
That makes me think itā€™s gotta be a linkage thing then. Somehow hitting the gate on either side of first is clearing the bind?Unfortunately I donā€™t know enough about the mechanical layout in this particular trans to know if a synchro issue would cause behavior like this.

Iā€™d say get it to the dealership and have them run through the adjustment process. From what I understand itā€™s sort of tricky and can take some time so it may take some persistence to fully look into this. Iā€™ll try and see if I can dig up instructions for the process somewhere.

First Name
Brian-Benjamin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 6SPEED
Hey guys,

I feel pretty upset here. I bought this clutch:

(Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch and Flywheel Kit For 2018+ Jeep Gladiator JT & Wrangler JL 2 Door & Unlimited 4 Door Models KDF157077)

Got it back in May 2020. Although I do feel happy I havenā€™t installed it yet. Going from clutch issues to now issues with this one I feel lost. Most people realistically donā€™t want to tear apart a brand new car installing major stuff. Sheā€™s a garage queen and sits in my garage and isnā€™t winter driven (lots of now here some winters in Canada). I drive her hard though in the summer and havenā€™t even had the recall completed yet. No slip issues or anything weird... yet...

I just want a damn reliable problem free manual Jeep. Is that too much to ask for haha?

Im going to have to email Centerforce and let them know I need the updated part as Iā€™m definitely not installing this now.

Glad to have you guys here otherwise I never would have ever known about your issues. Thank you all for sharing!

intentsrig

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Sporticon
Hey guys,

I feel pretty upset here. I bought this clutch:

(Centerforce Dual Friction Clutch and Flywheel Kit For 2018+ Jeep Gladiator JT & Wrangler JL 2 Door & Unlimited 4 Door Models KDF157077)

Got it back in May 2020. Although I do feel happy I havenā€™t installed it yet. Going from clutch issues to now issues with this one I feel lost. Most people realistically donā€™t want to tear apart a brand new car installing major stuff. Sheā€™s a garage queen and sits in my garage and isnā€™t winter driven (lots of now here some winters in Canada). I drive her hard though in the summer and havenā€™t even had the recall completed yet. No slip issues or anything weird... yet...

I just want a damn reliable problem free manual Jeep. Is that too much to ask for haha?

Im going to have to email Centerforce and let them know I need the updated part as Iā€™m definitely not installing this now.

Glad to have you guys here otherwise I never would have ever known about your issues. Thank you all for sharing!
I think the factory clutch is reliable. Mine does not slip at all and I can even start in 3rd gear ( with some lugging) with out any slipping. Iā€™m at 30k miles all on 35ā€™s or 37ā€™s.

Just get the recall done to make sure there is no leak in the line and get the sleeve protector. If you have no slip I wouldnā€™t worry about it.

Az-jewel

First Name
Julie
Threads
Reaction score
Website
aquajeepgirl.com
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜18 JLU Sport S
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
SAHM
I had my Centerforce installed back in the spring and had a lot of issues with the first install. The install itself was a challenge for a variety of reasons, but I'll stay on topic with the performance of the clutch.

At first I couldn't get it to shift smoothly into first gear in particular, but reverse and third were issues at time. There would be times I would be at a stop light, in neutral. Light turns green and I couldn't get it into gear. I found a 'trick' that if I rocked it into second then into first it would engage.

I took it to three dealerships (closer than mechanic) and they all had degrees of challenges bleeding the master cylinder. These had a degree of success, for awhile. Then the 'groans' started.

Ultimately Centerforce sent a few parts to test out. I ended up finding the combo that worked - crisp shifts, smooth movement, and sharp 'bite' or engagement of the clutch. Super happy after a few months of trying to get her up and running.

Fast forward a few months and the gremlins are coming back. Engagement has weakened significantly. Difficulty shifting, especially into first. At times after the Jeep is off and I've left - i.e. gone to the store - when I start it back up it won't come out of first - i.e. to reverse out of a parking stall - without effort that shouldn't be required.

Centerforce has worked with me through the process, but it has not been a set it and forget it experience.

Nice! Through NORA? I've had friends do that and say it was a good time. Not sure where you are in NY, but if you're upstate or will be upstate (North of the Catskills, Albany to Lake George area) shoot me a PM. I'm usually down to get out and go wheeling, and I'm part of a couple active groups.

There was a discussion on the JL FB group about this. Both Sean P Holman (Four Wheeler/ MotorTrend) and Scott Blum (Jeep) chimed in and both voiced their positive experiences for the Centerforce option. That's good enough for me, to the point where I've actually been thinking about springing for it at some point.

Not always, especially with the price of Trucks/ Wranglers today. There's a really good thread detailing the frame swap on a 2021 Rubi Recon somewhere around these forums.

As for my 2023 Jeep related plans:
More Travel, including:
Rausch Creek, AOAA
More Local Jeep trail rides
Hopefully participating in ADK JP Invasion 2023
Beach Trips: Returning to Cape Cod, RI to visit my buddy and his family, and possibly VA to visit my sister.

As for mods:
Possibly a new CB
Cleaning up/ Painting bumpers
Adding my fog lights back in

I was thinking about doing Centerforce Clutch/ Flywheel, or regearing.... but I think I'm going to hold off doing any more major mods for another year.

Maybe most importantly, getting my Jeep related side hustle organized and off the ground.
Hey guys, any updates?
Sponsored

Last edited: