Sponsored

WARNING Dealer oil changes/gas mileage

Zoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Even if you have a good dealership, check your service write ups.

My 2018 JLUR seemed fine even if I could never get over 18mpg even when I drove “nice”. After seeing another thread about dealerships overfilling with 6 quarts I decided to check my write ups.

Sure enough they had been giving me 6 quarts since my very first oil change around 2000 miles.

To top it off they were also giving me the wrong oil (5w20).

All the information the manual and everywhere else says that for a JL with the 3.6 they get 5 quarts of 0w20. For all conditions.

The dealership was great when I brought it in on a Saturday morning. I told the guy what was up, he asked to see my write ups, which I showed him. He checked the computer and as he is looking at the screen I see he realizes I was right.

He apologizes, gets the manager involved and then puts my car at the front of the line and re does the oil change with the correct weight and amount.

When I’m leaving he stops me and says thanks and shakes my hand. He tells me they are sending out a bulletin to all the service technicians because apparently none of them knew about the change.

And I already am getting 3 more mpg than I have ever had with this JLUR.

Check your paperwork!!!
Sponsored

D60

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL
That's great but there's no way I'll believe a crankcase overfilled by a quart or 5W instead of 0W is going to account for 3mpg

I'm NOT saying you're lying, I just think something else is going on or just coincidence.

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Oil weight can absolutely have a significant effect on engine performance.

cbrenthus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Mojito JLUR
And if its overfilled the crank could be splashing in extra oil, weighing it down. I do believe the 2 combine could account for that much in mpgs :)

OP
OP

Zoot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
That's great but there's no way I'll believe a crankcase overfilled by a quart or 5W instead of 0W is going to account for 3mpg

I'm NOT saying you're lying, I just think something else is going on or just coincidence.

Admittedly I am probably driving it “nice”. Nicer than usual, but it has been consistently climbing and was noticeably better even on the drive home from the dealership.

The ess seems smother and the idle used to be a bit rumbly but is now smoother. Maybe some of this is my imagination, but there is definitely a difference.

Sponsored

multicam

First Name
Tanner
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 4Runner, 2019 JLR
Vehicle Showcase
What’s more alarming than any MPG change is that service departments are still screwing this up this deep into the second MY, especially considering the 2.0 also takes five quarts. Not even going to bother tagging JeepCares in this post; the message clearly won’t make it down to dealers.

I’ll change my own oil as I have since 2006.

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Thanks for the tip. My gas mileage has gone down but I attributed it to the colder weather. I will definitely give specific instructions when I go in for my next oil change.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
FCA really needs to improve their dealers. It CAN be done. Other brands have done it. FCA needs to lead, take ownership, and start making a real difference with how these dealers operate and engage. The vehicles that FCA are selling are becoming VERY expensive “trucks”. These “trucks” are as expensive, if not more expensive than many “luxury” cars. Do FCA dealers hold a candle to a Lexus dealer?
Sponsored