TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
Just a heads up for anyone else who may get caught in the same trap, Diode Dynamics won't offer after-sale support (despite what they tell you on the phone) if you've purchased anywhere other than their website.

Background:
- I called DD before I purchased a set of SS3 fogs to see which kit "Type" I'd need for my application (MS, M or MR) and I was advised to order the MS since I had a Sport and my aftermarket bumper originally re-used the OEM fog lights. That's what I did, but I ordered through Amazon since I'm a Prime member.
- The kit arrives, everything is fine except the brackets aren't compatible with my setup. No problem, I called them up and the guy on the phone was friendly and said they'd "take care of me" but I had to email a copy of my Amazon invoice, pictures of what I received and pictures of the mounting provisions on my bumper. Ok, again, no problem. I did that immediately.
- Within 24 hours I received a response that because I purchased from a retailer (CAK Electronics via Amazon) they wouldn't be able to help...
- I went back to the website and reviewed the photos of all their different brackets before replying back to the email. I let the rep know I that I figured out which brackets I needed from looking at their pictures, and asked for a simple swap of the plastic mounting brackets from the Type MS kit that I received to the Type M kit that I needed. I promptly received a short response that I would have to buy those brackets for $50.00 plus tax and shipping and no alternatives, apologies or any further help or support were offered. In other words, screw you. I started a return through Amazon and won't do business with DD again.

TL;DR: I'm not advising anyone to necessarily avoid doing business with DD, but be aware that if you don't buy from them directly their CS will give you the finger should you have any hiccups whatsoever, no matter how easily fixable.
Sponsored

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time
" I started a return through Amazon and won't do business with DD again. "

You didn't do business with DD though, you bought from CAK Electronics, through Amazon, right? Seems you should be asking CAK Electronics to get you the right brackets. DD has nothing to do with the transaction, do they?

If you bought BFG AT KO2 tires from Costco and they installed BFG MT KM3 or the wrong size, you wouldn't call to complain to BFG, you'd call Costco.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@TrailSnail

It is real apparent to me why Diode Dynamics did as they did..... They actually did as they should have... They were there for you but just not going to give you free product.... and why should they...

You should have been made whole... had this remedied, by the seller CAK Electronics.... and not have expected Diode Dynamics to send you free items...

You should have just sent the order back to Amazon / CAK for a full refund and then buy elsewhere.

Diode Dynamics has a store on Amazon.... You should have bought from them at the get go...

Also....Who knows if CAK Elecronics is a recognized/approved by DD reseller of DD. Could be they are selling counterfeit DD. I know Pedal Commander had this counterfeit thing happen...

In regard to @Diode Dynamics, I wish other vendors had Customer Support / Policies like they do. They are very good.... unlike ______.

OP
OP
TrailSnail

TrailSnail

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JL Unlimited Sport S
Vehicle Showcase
I see I ruffled some feathers. I'm not one to leave negative feedback but DD's customer service is deserving of my criticism in this instance.

1) I got what I ordered from CAK Electronics, therefore the retailer did nothing wrong. They are also, in fact, one of DD's top 10 dealers and are obviously authorized distributors, contrary to what I was told.

2) DD assured me prior to the sale that I would be taken care of should I have issues.

3) DD also re-stated post-sale over the phone that "I would be taken care of" after I provided a detailed description of what was going on, however once I sent them the information they needed they then refused to help and tried to sell me a product.

If you buy a product at Home Depot and it's missing parts or incompatible with your project despite being told otherwise, you don't go back to Home Depot asking them to remedy the situation. You contact the manufacturer and let them know what's wrong and give them a chance to make it right. That's exactly what I did.

Since posting, CAK actually reached out to me via Amazon and offered to do exactly what DD should have done in the first place, which is simply trading one set of brackets for the other. The claim that I was trying to get "free product" is absurd and tells me everything I need to know about you as a person @Rhinebeck01.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I see I ruffled some feathers. I'm not one to leave negative feedback but DD's customer service is deserving of my criticism in this instance.

1) I got what I ordered from CAK Electronics, therefore the retailer did nothing wrong. They are also, in fact, one of DD's top 10 dealers and are obviously authorized distributors, contrary to what I was told.

2) DD assured me prior to the sale that I would be taken care of should I have issues.

3) DD also re-stated post-sale over the phone that "I would be taken care of" after I provided a detailed description of what was going on, however once I sent them the information they needed they then refused to help and tried to sell me a product.

If you buy a product at Home Depot and it's missing parts or incompatible with your project despite being told otherwise, you don't go back to Home Depot asking them to remedy the situation. You contact the manufacturer and let them know what's wrong and give them a chance to make it right. That's exactly what I did.

Since posting, CAK actually reached out to me via Amazon and offered to do exactly what DD should have done in the first place, which is simply trading one set of brackets for the other. The claim that I was trying to get "free product" is absurd and tells me everything I need to know about you as a person @Rhinebeck01.
@TrailSnail

I never said you were trying to get free product.... I said DD should not be expected to send items out for free.... Your sales $ went to CAK Electronics and that is who you should have gone to for a remedy.... the remedy that you say CAK Elecronics has now given you..

In closing your error is in the way you pursued your order issue...

You also errored in coming here and posting a thread with the provocative and misleading title you used... Diode Dynamics did nothing wrong.... Your error and no more...

Sponsored

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Hey, I'm sorry for the trouble and confusion.

I am the owner of Diode Dynamics. Your comments really concerned me, as there would be serious disciplinary issues if our team "gave you the finger" or "screwed you." However, in reviewing the email correspondence, my team explained the situation very courteously, provided the options, and asked that you contacted CK Electronics. I'm very sorry that this was your takeaway from the communications with Diode, but I feel we provided the best experience possible based on your inquiry.

As a manufacturer, we are happy to help anyone with after-sales service and support for products purchased from any retailer.

However, this is about return and exchange policies, not general support. We are generally not able to provide exchanges or returns on merchandise purchased from third parties, because we were not part of the original transaction. Each retailer offers different return periods, exchange policies, etc. If you need a different part, we would ask you to contact your original retailer.

That said, we'll take a look to see whether we may be able to swap out that mounting kit for you, given the confusion over the matter at this point. CK Electronics can certainly assist you as well though, and that's who I would contact first as you purchased the products from them.

Thanks,
Paul

Last edited:

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link

You didn't ruffle any feathers.....you are simply....wrong. Rhinebeck explained it correctly and you didn't comprehend it. If you buy at Home Depot....you return to Home Depot as your first option. You then go to the manufacturer. You simply did it backwards. I have no loyalty or previous affiliation with Rhinebeck or Diode Dynamics I'm just calling it using common sense.

In the end, I'm glad you were able to get the parts that you needed though!

Diode Dynamics

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.diodedynamics.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler
Update - both CAK Electronics and Diode Dynamics have offered to assist with an exchange on the mounting kit.

I'm glad this could be resolved with a positive outcome, and for anyone else reading - while we would ask that you contact your retailer first for any returns or exchanges, we are happy to help facilitate that to make sure you get what you need, and provide installation or warranty support for Diode Dynamics products purchased anywhere. Thanks!

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 wrangler jlus bright white
Vehicle Showcase
I researched and double checked everything on my end before ordering my fog light pods from Diode, yes at first it can be a little confusing but their are really only a few options for brackets, correct?

not to derail the thread but, I have 6 Diode points from 2012 are those still available to use? lol just kidding

glad to see everything worked out.

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I researched and double checked everything on my end before ordering my fog light pods from Diode, yes at first it can be a little confusing but their are really only a few options for brackets, correct?

not to derail the thread but, I have 6 Diode points from 2012 are those still available to use? lol just kidding

glad to see everything worked out.
It would be nice if the OP, could post info that would help the next guy to order correctly ... the correct brackets.....and not end up in a similar predicament.

Yes, great it worked out... Early on I tagged @Diode Dynamics, as I knew Paul and his Team would drive in and deal with the issue...well, just as they did... They are that kind of a company... top notch...

Thanks, Diode Dynamics for being a Forum Sponsor!

Sponsored

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
It would be nice if the OP, could post info that would help the next guy to order correctly ... the correct brackets.....and not end up in a similar predicament.
I agree, fellow jeeper @Whiskeybiskit and I have ordered multiple products, multiple times from Diode and I don't think we've ever had an issue, at least one that didn't work itself out.

Not gonna lie I wish I had a need for more lights, I love installing stuff like lights and speakers I find it relaxing and satisfying.

conFUcius

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sting-Gray JLU Rubicon 3.6 V6
Occupation
Medical Affairs
… I love installing stuff like lights and speakers I find it relaxing and satisfying.
I’ve got some lights sitting in my garage if you’re ever in Raleigh if you want to wire them for me :giggle:

JLTruman

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Literally flying to Raleigh in about 2 hours, unfortunately for you we're driving to Ocracoke immediately after we land... sorry

Jebiruph

First Name
Jerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2019 KL, 2020 JT
I received a replacement for my defective side marker two days after sending Diode Dynamics a copy of my receipt from Northridge4x4 and a picture showing the problem. I'm not sure how their service could have been better.

diezselsmk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLURD
I have purchased fog lights and light bars from diod. They have been great to work with, shipped fast and their product is built to last. I always recommend them when I can.
Sponsored