Sponsored

** Warning: 2019 JL Steering Issues ** - Test drive it on the highway BEFORE taking ownership!

ozzie9902

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Rubicon
I have had similar issue on new JL Sarah, If I would hit a uneven road going over 50 MPH it would felt like I just blew a rear tire. I took it back to the dealer less than 1000 miles and they replaced the rear shocks, but said the front Damper steering need to replace and the vehicle should not be driven until replaced. They had a back order on the damper, took three weeks. The dealer said Jeep had a suppler issue with the quality, sounds to me like they should have had full out recall has the vehicle was not safe to drive. Just got if fixed last week and it appears to be fine.
Sponsored

#1 for me

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Bright white loaded ordered 9/18 Corvette, z28 Camaro, Mustang GT, Chev z71, GMC Canyon, Yamaha YXZ 1000rss, Yamaha 660 Raptor
Occupation
UAW GM Corvette Assembly Plant QC .

AlinMaine

First Name
AL
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
18-JLU-Sahara 8000 miles. I-295 bridge expansion joints here in Portland, Maine are the perfect DW inducing bump. So much so, I avoid that area deferring to safer routes. Forwarded STAR report about new trackbar to dealer. Waiting for other parts on backorder, hopefully they can exchange this one at same visit.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
For reference to "new" buyers, steering issues have been reported on Wranglers for 25 years or more as well as on other solid axle vehicles. Plus it is on a very small number of Wranglers compared to the 2.6 million built in the last 25 years.

nerubi

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLR, 2020 VW Tiguan
Occupation
Retired
Vehicle Showcase
The point is millions of Wrangler users don't have the problem and trying to scare away potential buyers because some people have had a problem is one sided. If you have a problem that is bad for you but most will never have the problem.

Sponsored

Rockit73

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sprt S, 02 Night Train, 2016 F6B
Old post, I know!

Test driving a new 2019 Mojito Sport S today. These steering issues have kept me from purchasing, but I really want a Wrangler, so...

Besides tire pressure and a good hwy jaunt at 65, what else can I do to ensure that I get a good one?

Thanks!

Sippican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
Vehicle Showcase
Old post, I know!

Test driving a new 2019 Mojito Sport S today. These steering issues have kept me from purchasing, but I really want a Wrangler, so...

Besides tire pressure and a good hwy jaunt at 65, what else can I do to ensure that I get a good one?

Thanks!
I had steering issues....the dealer fixed it, took a couple of times, but it appears too be resolved. I'm more concerned with the electrical issues....been on a tow truck twice already. 2018 JLU 11K miles.

Minty JL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLU Rubicon, '10 Tahoe PPV, '04 Colorado ZQ8
Occupation
CySec Instructor at DC3
Vehicle Showcase
I think some of these steering issues are those unaware of how a solid front axle vehicle handles.

I bought my first Jeep (JLUR), lifted it and on 35s and no problems what so ever.

Rockit73

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Sprt S, 02 Night Train, 2016 F6B
Thanks for the responses

Test drove it, smooth at 75mph. Way smoother than the 2014 I rented last year, or the 2018 I test drove in November, that wouldn’t go in a straight line.
The 2019 that I am currently buying and about to drive home (yay!) was made this month and had only 2 miles on it before the test drive. The tire pressure was 41, so I deflated to 36 before the ride.
Thanks again for the help.

telix

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Granite Jeep Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Test drove a 2019 JLU Rubicon earlier tonight. 14 miles on the odometer but I know this one has been on the lot over a month. 41 psi on the tires. It had almost 2 inches of free play on the steering wheel and constantly pulled to the right on the freeway at 60mph. When I got to the exit on the freeway I didn't have to turn right to get on the offramp, the Jeep just drifted to the right for me. It was difficult to keep centered in the lane on the straightaways from the right pull and the looseness. Got off and back on the freeway in the other direction and it was the same situation so not wind related.
Felt fine on the surface roads.
I test drove another similar Rubicon a few days ago and it was not nearly as bad. Ugh. Very frustrating since I love Jeeps and can't think of another vehicle I would want more right now than the new Rubicon. Ready to buy but not sure what to do.

Sponsored

Gradofan

First Name
Roberto
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon JL 2dr
Well... I've had all of these things done to eliminate the steering wander from the factory, on my stock 2019 Rubicon JL 2dr with 3000 miles (never off-road), which has helped a lot, and there is still a bit of steering wander, which I'm thinking is inherent in the steering box and/or electronic/hydraulic assist, which won't be eliminated without a recall by FCA/mfr:

1. Reduced tire air pressures
2. Replaced the loose ball joints on driver's side
3. Tightened all bolts to specs
4. Re-aligned to increase toe / caster / whatever
5. Replaced the recalled track bar
6. Replaced the OEM steering stabilizer with the Falcon Adjustable Stabilzer (which had virtually no effect - didn't see the XT video, prior to replacing, which notes that the stabilizer will not fix steering wander).

The steering still feels too loose, is overly sensitive, and wanders on rough roads in construction zones, curves, wet roads, grooved surfaces, windy conditions, and when large trucks pass - is still dangerous at speeds above 50 mph, in these condtions. Requires way too much concentration / correction.

It is what it is...

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
Well... I've had all of these things done to eliminate the steering wander from the factory, on my stock 2019 Rubicon JL 2dr with 3000 miles (never off-road), which has helped a lot, and there is still a bit of steering wander, which I'm thinking is inherent in the steering box and/or electronic/hydraulic assist, which won't be eliminated without a recall by FCA/mfr:

1. Reduced tire air pressures
2. Replaced the loose ball joints on driver's side
3. Tightened all bolts to specs
4. Re-aligned to increase toe / caster / whatever
5. Replaced the recalled track bar
6. Replaced the OEM steering stabilizer with the Falcon Adjustable Stabilzer (which had virtually no effect - didn't see the XT video, prior to replacing, which notes that the stabilizer will not fix steering wander).

The steering still feels too loose, is overly sensitive, and wanders on rough roads in construction zones, curves, wet roads, grooved surfaces, windy conditions, and when large trucks pass - is still dangerous at speeds above 50 mph, in these condtions. Requires way too much concentration / correction.

It is what it is...

Have you asked the Dealer to do a PCM flash? I just picked mine up last week and it is wandering and needs frequent corrections. The steering wheel has play and will not return to "center" when you are doing sharp turns you actually have to manually turn the wheel back straight. It feels like it just isn't getting the boost that it needs and that might get fixed with a new PCM flash. I know i can change the steering programming on my GTI with an aftermarket computer but I'm guessing we don't have that in the Jeep community. Anyway I'm reading that a flash has helped a few people and I'd guess that since mine is so new, it has the latest steering components.

BrandonB00

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JL Sport S, 2006 Wrangler,
I think some of these steering issues are those unaware of how a solid front axle vehicle handles.

I bought my first Jeep (JLUR), lifted it and on 35s and no problems what so ever.
No. If you drive a faulty one you'll know that the complaints are real. It's not the handling, its the steering. You don't steer a Jeep like a 74 oldsmobile and pray that it stays in the lane with a semi on one side and the barrier on the other. I've commuted the same commute for years in a TJ so i'm well aware how a solid axle vehicle should handle.

MB11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Been driving Wranglers since the TJ. Just picked up my 2020 JLUR and there is a lot of wandering and a couple inches of play on each side. Really tough to keep it straight on the highway. Definitely a 10 and 2 situation with full concentration as I drift left and right on the 405 next to cars doing 70+. Super disappointed they haven't totally addressed this out of the factory. Now I have to take a brand new Jeep in for service...
Sponsored