Sponsored

** Warning: 2019 JL Steering Issues ** - Test drive it on the highway BEFORE taking ownership!

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Personally, I appreciate the fact that the steering issue is near the top of the list because, as a "soon to be" new owner of a 19 JLUR, Want to know these things! Thank you for remembering that there are newcomers to this forum everyday and we are inundated with things to watch out for, etc, as we journey to place an order. THANK YOU!!!!
You are welcome. Even if this thread helped just one person, it negates all of the negative comments posted here, so thank you for comments. Even the negative comments keep the post active at the top of the category, though. :) There have been 305 views since early this morning thanks to the new comments.
Sponsored

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
When I went to test drive a 2018 JLUR at a nearby dealership, the salesman got in the driver seat and "got it out of the parking lot", drove it on the highway himself, then let me drive the back roads back to the dealership. He didn't want me to get back on the highway. Knowing that there have been issues with a small number of JL's I decided to put a hold on my purchase until I start seeing more people saying things are getting better. I know it's a small chance of getting a bad one, but I really don't want to have to deal with dealership service technicians.
Since it is a small percentage of JLs with the steering problem, and if you really want a JL, I'd strongly suggest that you go to another dealership that will allow you to take your time on the highway to test drive it at your pace. Or if no rush, wait until the 2020s come out, but still test drive it thoroughly.

ianduren

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*Will be buying a* 2019 Wrangler JLUR
Since it is a small percentage of JLs with the steering problem, and if you really want a JL, I'd strongly suggest that you go to another dealership that will allow you to take your time on the highway to test drive it at your pace. Or if no rush, wait until the 2020s come out, but still test drive it thoroughly.
I'm in no rush at all that's why I'm holding off for now.

grapejuice

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
I picked up my jlur '19 on Saturday and have 160 miles, so far so good. I've driven it 70mph over expansion joints and rumble strips, not a single wobble. I did have to lower the tire pressure from 43 to 38 which helped eliminate the drifting I experienced on the way home from the dealership though. Granted, not many miles but not a single complaint.

haiducool

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Unlimited Rubicon
Thank you for 'escalating' this or making it more visible, waiting for my 2019 JLUR after 2018 was totaled, good to remember to do highway test drive.

Sponsored

hai5rockin

First Name
Hai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Patriot, MOAB 19
Got my 2019 MOAB for three weeks now and put up 2k milage on it already without any wobble or steering issues. hm...

Reactions: VNT
OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Got my 2019 MOAB for three weeks now and put up 2k milage on it already without any wobble or steering issues. hm...
That's great news. Most 2019 JLs won't have the steering problem. The intent of this thread is to suggest a very thorough highway test drive before taking ownership of custom ordered JLs. Not saying that ALL 2019 JLs will have the problem (as stated in the first post of this tread), but some are have the steering problems as reported in the different steering threads on this site (see links in the first post of this thread). It is easier to get the dealer to fix it if the sale is pending than after the fact. Most assume "the dealer will fix it later" but they won't/can't - there are many 2018 owners STILL waiting on a steering fix from the dealer/FCA. There are some 2019 owners reporting the exact same steering problems as some 2018 JLs. The steering components in the 2018 JL vs 2019 JL are 99% the same, so the potential for steering problems are the same for both 2018 and 2019 JLs.

The steering wobble problems haven't started occurring until 7K/8K miles for the 2018 JLs. Again, not all, but some. So you may never see the steering wobble problem until then, or never. There isn't a way to test drive a brand new vehicle for something that may or may not occur until the 7K/8K range, but someone can test drive it on the highway at the point just before sale for the other steering problems (drifting, loose steering wheel, etc.).

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This 2019 owner also reported finger tight ball joints, just as many 2018 owners have - https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...s-drifting-resolved.17478/page-11#post-493283 These loose ball joints (as well as the bolts in the track bar, drag link, tie rods, etc. not fully torqued) in 2018s are on the suspect list for causing loose steering, steering wheel shimmy and death wobble in worse cases.

"I highly recommend everyone check their upper and lower ball joints! I was just installing the spidertrax on my 2019 and the ball joints were finger tight. I was skeptical of others finding the loose ball joints but I really couldn’t believe how loose they were."

This Star case for 2018s is also referring to loosening and then re torque steering related components: https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...has-play-and-drifts.3691/page-142#post-426243

cns721

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'04 WJ, '13 JKU, '18 WK2, '19 JLU, '22 WL74
Occupation
Software Engineer
The only issue I'm having with my 19 is that it keeps drifting to the right. I have to constantly steer it back to the left to keep it straight. It becomes more noticeable as the speed increases. I brought it to the dealer to check the alignment, which they said it was fine. They said it's because of the "aggressive" tires that the Rubicon comes equipped with. I've had more aggressive tires on my JK and I never had this issue. Probably will take it to another dealer in the area after the holidays to see what they say.

Sponsored

lukow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sting Gray JLUR
The only issue I'm having with my 19 is that it keeps drifting to the right. I have to constantly steer it back to the left to keep it straight. It becomes more noticeable as the speed increases. I brought it to the dealer to check the alignment, which they said it was fine. They said it's because of the "aggressive" tires that the Rubicon comes equipped with. I've had more aggressive tires on my JK and I never had this issue. Probably will take it to another dealer in the area after the holidays to see what they say.
Hi, I just picked up my JLUR today and I also noticed a slight drift to the right while driving at highway speeds. I did a test drive before the purchase and didn't notice then, but I did notice on the drive home. I'll be interested to see if another dealership has a solution for you.

Ralph2018JL

First Name
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
can a moderator move these threads into the Issues, Repairs TSB section, this echo chamber on a well hashed issue just clutters the rest of the forum
Maybe at the same time have a moderator move your useless comments to the trash bin.

RubiZ

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR
Hi, I just picked up my JLUR today and I also noticed a slight drift to the right while driving at highway speeds. I did a test drive before the purchase and didn't notice then, but I did notice on the drive home. I'll be interested to see if another dealership has a solution for you.
Try rotating the front tires from right to left and see if it makes a difference.

Walter-new jeeper

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ocean Blue Wrangler JLUR, Expedition, Escape

this is a great perspective that perhaps leads a little bit of reason to some of the complaints. Note: not a fan of the guy but he's got a solid point.
He's a Master Mechanic for FCA vehicles - he probably knows what he's talking about. He did a video where he stepped through some fixes and there was only one thing that resolved this issue on the Jeep he was working on - tightening the pinion bolt on the steering box about 1/8 to 3/16 of a turn.

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
Its not a steering problem at 65-80 mph. Its a vehicle stability / handling issue.
Sponsored