Sponsored

** Warning: 2019 JL Steering Issues ** - Test drive it on the highway BEFORE taking ownership!

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
He's a Master Mechanic for FCA vehicles - he probably knows what he's talking about. He did a video where he stepped through some fixes and there was only one thing that resolved this issue on the Jeep he was working on - tightening the pinion bolt on the steering box about 1/8 to 3/16 of a turn.
I feel like for many, this will be a never ending wild goose chase to fix something that's very probably just the nature of the design.
Sponsored

XJrider

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Rubicon JL , 2 JK’s , XJ
I feel like for many, this will be a never ending wild goose chase to fix something that's very probably just the nature of the design.
Could be... only way to find outis for someone to start swapping out componenets on their dime. And i aint talkin steering stabilzers either...

tyresmoker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ram 1500 Limited EcoDiesel; '19 JLU Sahara-sting gray; 2017 Grand Cherokee SRT (sold);
Exactly!! We took my wifes '19 JLU the other day to Christmas dinner. First time I drove it on the highway for any considerable distance. My DD is a '17 GC SRT, so that is my point of reference....Does the JLU drift on the highway? Of course it does. Just look at the design. It is a brick with solid axles, getting propelled down the highway by an engine that is barely strong enough for the job. Add failing road beds (causing pavement ruts), expansion joints and overall poor road conditions and you get what you get.

This "issue" needs to be put out to pasture...OP, a JL is NOT for you. Best to move along.

RubiRob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
Mojave
Vehicle Showcase
Exactly!! We took my wifes '19 JLU the other day to Christmas dinner. First time I drove it on the highway for any considerable distance. My DD is a '17 GC SRT, so that is my point of reference....Does the JLU drift on the highway? Of course it does. Just look at the design. It is a brick with solid axles, getting propelled down the highway by an engine that is barely strong enough for the job. Add failing road beds (causing pavement ruts), expansion joints and overall poor road conditions and you get what you get.

This "issue" needs to be put out to pasture...OP, a JL is NOT for you. Best to move along.
On the highway going 75mph with my falcon shocks at their softest settings made my steering feel very lethargic at times. When I changed them to firm, it completely transformed the steering and rebound dampening. It's absolutely affected by the Jeep being a Jeep, imho. Obviously outside of some of the problems others were facing.

practicaltact

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Sport S Mojito 2 Door

This reasoning is all the more proof that you should test at highway speeds before accepting delivery and plunking down 40k of your cold hard earned cash. Some dealers and mechanics will use this very same reasoning that it’s “a Jeep thing” and you’ll be stuck to deal with a defective steering system yourself. It’s already been established by members on this forum who have owned 5 plus wranglers including CJs YJs TJs JKs and even some who are big rig truck drivers who have said that the JLs with bad steering are the WORST steering vehicles they have driven in their life. So thanks again OP for the recommendation to test before buying, I certainly will be doing so.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR

The purpose of the posting is to help others use the "I'm not signing for this until it is fixed" leverage. I've received several public and private messages thanking me for the info. There are different levels of drifting. Some drifting is fine and the way it is. Drifting so bad that the Jeep dealership says and agrees "this is dangerous, I'm getting you a rental until this is fixed", is not "a Jeep thing. Mine is fixed, but just trying to help others by sharing the info. Have a great day! Keep replying to this thread to keep it at the top of the category, it helps more people to read it. There are now 3,464 views! Awesome!

OP
OP
jeremyjeep

jeremyjeep

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
This reasoning is all the more proof that you should test at highway speeds before accepting delivery and plunking down 40k of your cold hard earned cash. Some dealers and mechanics will use this very same reasoning that it’s “a Jeep thing” and you’ll be stuck to deal with a defective steering system yourself. It’s already been established by members on this forum who have owned 5 plus wranglers including CJs YJs TJs JKs and even some who are big rig truck drivers who have said that the JLs with bad steering are the WORST steering vehicles they have driven in their life. So thanks again OP for the recommendation to test before buying, I certainly will be doing so.
You are welcome, and thank you. The more comments, positive and negative on this thread, the more it keeps floating to the top of the category, so thanks everyone for all comments. Keep them coming.

PavementWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 2 door JL
The purpose of the posting is to help others use the "I'm not signing for this until it is fixed" leverage. I've received several public and private messages thanking me for the info. There are different levels of drifting. Some drifting is fine and the way it is. Drifting so bad that the Jeep dealership says and agrees "this is dangerous, I'm getting you a rental until this is fixed", is not "a Jeep thing.
Yup, death shimmy or excessive drifting on a new un-lifted wrangler should not be occurring. I did test mine out well (and spent a good amount of time looking at welds and steering, like buying a used 4x4), and handling was fine for 6 months, then the death shimmy started at 1500 miles stock suspension (defective stabilizer appears to weird out in cold... time will tell additional issues I am sure).

Steering problems are an issue period. Loss of control on the highway is not OK or a "jeep thing". If they cant make coil springs on a solid axle work (not just for 80% or something) 100% on non-worn out /modified vehicles they must go back to tried and true leaf springs or ifs.

hai5rockin

First Name
Hai
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Patriot, MOAB 19
That's great news. Most 2019 JLs won't have the steering problem. The intent of this thread is to suggest a very thorough highway test drive before taking ownership of custom ordered JLs. Not saying that ALL 2019 JLs will have the problem (as stated in the first post of this tread), but some are have the steering problems as reported in the different steering threads on this site (see links in the first post of this thread). It is easier to get the dealer to fix it if the sale is pending than after the fact. Most assume "the dealer will fix it later" but they won't/can't - there are many 2018 owners STILL waiting on a steering fix from the dealer/FCA. There are some 2019 owners reporting the exact same steering problems as some 2018 JLs. The steering components in the 2018 JL vs 2019 JL are 99% the same, so the potential for steering problems are the same for both 2018 and 2019 JLs.

The steering wobble problems haven't started occurring until 7K/8K miles for the 2018 JLs. Again, not all, but some. So you may never see the steering wobble problem until then, or never. There isn't a way to test drive a brand new vehicle for something that may or may not occur until the 7K/8K range, but someone can test drive it on the highway at the point just before sale for the other steering problems (drifting, loose steering wheel, etc.).
Definitely see your point though. Didnt mean it to be rude in any way when i posted. I will def keep this post updated on anything similar that will occur. I am at 3600miles now. Once the 7-8k comes around and if it does happen. Will keep the community posted.

Perhaps it has been noticed and fixed for these 19'? We will never really know.. unfortunately.

am1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara Bright White, 2018 JLU Sahara HellaYella
Occupation
‘Merica
Is there any new information here or just a rehash/summary of earlier threads?

I am fairly confident at this point that anyone who has visited this forum knows to do a test drive.

And are you suggesting a test drive of 7k miles? Most dealers won't allow that.

This post is crap. I have two 2018 JLs, neither have issues. The few that have are legitimate, but that is a fraction of a percent. Sure, test drive it, but don’t shy away in the face of fractional issues.

Sponsored

wranglernoob2019

First Name
GT
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 19 Firecracker Red
Vehicle Showcase
Picked my JLUR 19 yesterday and drove 550 miles on day one - No issues. ACC is awesome, it works so well and removed stress in medium / heavy traffic

Last edited:

ianduren

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*Will be buying a* 2019 Wrangler JLUR
I wonder how many of these issues are from dealers putting on block lifts without changes to suspension components? I've seen many new wranglers in my area with bare bones lifts from the dealer (not the mopar lift) and wondered how much work they're actually putting into it VS just making something look cool.
Sponsored