Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
We all know that Warn winches are currently a bit hard to come by. I am really interested in a Zeon 10s, but I found a local place with a VR Evo 10s.

Unfortunately, I live in a state where offroading is illegal and quite highly enforced. So far, I've been building my Jeep as though I'm able to hit trails all the time, so I've aired on the side of higher quality, with the mentality of not wanting to save a few bucks now and regret it when the time comes for really needing it. That's what is driving my leaning towards the Zeon more than the Evo. At the same time, my location means that time, exposure, and weather will most likely have a larger impact on the winch than actual working hours.

So, am I not giving the VR Evo enough credit, or is it better to hold off and wait for Warn to catch up with demand. I'm very interested in your thoughts and opinions. Thanks everyone!
Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
We all know that Warn winches are currently a bit hard to come by. I am really interested in a Zeon 10s, but I found a local place with a VR Evo 10s.

Unfortunately, I live in a state where offroading is illegal and quite highly enforced. So far, I've been building my Jeep as though I'm able to hit trails all the time, so I've aired on the side of higher quality, with the mentality of not wanting to save a few bucks now and regret it when the time comes for really needing it. That's what is driving my leaning towards the Zeon more than the Evo. At the same time, my location means that time, exposure, and weather will most likely have a larger impact on the winch than actual working hours.

So, am I not giving the VR Evo enough credit, or is it better to hold off and wait for Warn to catch up with demand. I'm very interested in your thoughts and opinions. Thanks everyone!
IMO, your use case has VR EVO written all over it. Yes, the Zeon is better but you're not using it day in, day out. You just don't need that level of quality. The VR EVO isn't a bad winch at all. It's more than good enough for occasional use (or maybe never in your case).

Hey, Moab is a weekend camping trip for me and I picked the VR EVO because I don't use the winch often enough to warrant a Zeon. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the VR EVO.

Edit: Since you're in LI, definitely get synthetic for the salt. You'll also want a cover. Warn doesn't make a cover for the VR EVO yet but the Zeon cover works. It's just a little loose on the sides, doesn't look bad, and you can still access everything with the cover on.

Last edited:

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase

I have the VR EVO and it is a great winch for the price point. It has good features for a winch which sees infrequent use, as in not doing multiple pulls every weekend. I've used it exactly one time to recover someone else. For that, I'm glad I spent the $650ish on it vs. the Zeon price tag.

You have a very capable rig, I really don't think you'd use a winch for extraction all that much. Yeah, you might use it to recover someone else, but I found a snatch strap is quicker, easier, and often times a better solution than a winch.

Other than you having slightly larger tires, our Jeeps are similar. I went through the whole Rubicon Trail and never got close to being stuck. If you didn't have lockers and/or a flexy suspension, then you might find yourself on the end of a winch hook more and could justify a more expensive winch.

If you mount the winch between the frame rails, exposure to the elements is greatly reduced especially the synthetic winch line.

Therefore, I find it hard to spend at least twice as much for a winch that won't get used that often. I am confident the VR EVO will still work in the years to come, even though I don't use it frequently.

Lastly, why in the heck do you live in state where offroading is illegal???? Move out west so you can put that nicely built Jeep to work!! :rock:

AcesandEights

First Name
Aces
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Rubicon 2D, with extra guacamole
Occupation
I'm often occupied, by many things, often at the same time

Sponsored

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
IMO, your use case has VR EVO written all over it. Yes, the Zeon is better but you're not using it day in, day out. You just don't need that level of quality. The VR EVO isn't a bad winch at all. It's more than good enough for occasional use (or maybe never in your case).

Hey, Moab is a weekend camping trip for me and I picked the VR EVO because I don't use the winch often enough to warrant a Zeon. I'm sure you'll be more than happy with the VR EVO.

Edit: Since you're in LI, definitely get synthetic for the salt. You'll also want a cover. Warn doesn't make a cover for the VR EVO yet but the Zeon cover works. It's just a little loose on the sides, doesn't look bad, and you can still access everything with the cover on.
Yeah, definitely going with synthetic, regardless of winch. I'm relatively new to serious offroading. I've screwed around with older 4x4 pickups in the past, but never had lockers and a more dedicated offroad vehicle before my current JLUR. I'll be starting easy at first, but plan on pushing some limits in time.

Thanks for chiming in!

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I have the VR EVO and it is a great winch for the price point. It has good features for a winch which sees infrequent use, as in not doing multiple pulls every weekend. I've used it exactly one time to recover someone else. For that, I'm glad I spent the $650ish on it vs. the Zeon price tag.

You have a very capable rig, I really don't think you'd use a winch for extraction all that much. Yeah, you might use it to recover someone else, but I found a snatch strap is quicker, easier, and often times a better solution than a winch.

Other than you having slightly larger tires, our Jeeps are similar. I went through the whole Rubicon Trail and never got close to being stuck. If you didn't have lockers and/or a flexy suspension, then you might find yourself on the end of a winch hook more and could justify a more expensive winch.

If you mount the winch between the frame rails, exposure to the elements is greatly reduced especially the synthetic winch line.

Therefore, I find it hard to spend at least twice as much for a winch that won't get used that often. I am confident the VR EVO will still work in the years to come, even though I don't use it frequently.

Lastly, why in the heck do you live in state where offroading is illegal???? Move out west so you can put that nicely built Jeep to work!! :rock:
Great points about the relationship between how a jeep is built up and how less frequently any winch would be needed until pushing the raised limitations.

It's funny, I get asked if I'm a transplant from the Midwest on a fairly regular basis. It's rare to see a jeep with anything more than a mopar lift and 35's around here. Occasionally I'll come across 37's, but nothing added to help support them.

I definitely wasn't built for my area. My 2 favorite past times are AR15's and more recently building up a Jeep for offroading. 2 things that are hated by new york. :facepalm: My work is the only thing holding me here. Otherwise, my wife and I would've already been gone.

Thanks for the food for thought and the kind words about my Jeep!

OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Jeep winches are mostly for other people. >cough< Broncos. >cough<
Hahahahaha!

Although the way I've been received over on 6g, while researching a possible Badlands for my wife, I might hesitate to pull a line for them. I still will, but that certain voice on my shoulder won't be happy. 😆

mgroeger

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR 2.0T, 1991 YJ rock crawler
Occupation
I make microchips for a living.
Vehicle Showcase

Here is the biggest difference... CHINA

Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon vs VR evo 1630516840383

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I definitely wasn't built for my area. My 2 favorite past times are AR15's and more recently building up a Jeep for offroading. 2 things that are hated by new york. :facepalm: My work is the only thing holding me here. Otherwise, my wife and I would've already been gone.
I moved from the NY area to Utah. My salary took a significant hit but my quality of life increased ten-fold. Absolutely worth it, as long as you find lakes and rivers to be an acceptable substitute for the ocean. Ain't no ocean here. The Great Salt Lake isn't even close. But Jeeping and camping are free once you have the equipment.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hahahahaha!

Although the way I've been received over on 6g, while researching a possible Badlands for my wife, I might hesitate to pull a line for them. I still will, but that certain voice on my shoulder won't be happy. 😆
Oh no. You'll do it with a huge ear to ear grin on your face. All nice, polite and helpful like. And that certain voice on your shoulder will be laughing it's ass off. It'll make your day.

ExpeditionBuilds

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wrangler Recon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Photographer/ Content Creator
As @mgroeger mentioned, the difference is the VR line is made in China. A while back when I was shopping winches, I actually called Warn to ask about the difference(s). They were great to speak with by the way. 'Made in China' I was told regarding the EVO line.

The rep explained "with the flood of cheaper Chinese winches hitting the market, we needed to offer a Warn winch at a comparable price point". Making it in China was how they hit that price point.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5HJ5REOo6XbFuakJem6TTw

-Steven

Last edited:
OP
OP
Headbarcode

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I moved from the NY area to Utah. My salary took a significant hit but my quality of life increased ten-fold. Absolutely worth it, as long as you find lakes and rivers to be an acceptable substitute for the ocean. Ain't no ocean here. The Great Salt Lake isn't even close. But Jeeping and camping are free once you have the equipment.
I swim like a rock and the only 2 times I've been to the beach since I was a small child was 1 motorcycle related hangout and 1 Jeep meet up. Never even left the parking lot on both occasions. The ocean would quickly be forgotten, with an abundance of accessible trailheads scattered all around the road sides.

I was in Colorado right before I started looking into Jeeps. After a short amount of time on this forum, I found out that what I thought were just scenic lookouts were actually trailheads. I must've passed a few dozen well known trails and never even knew it.

Congrats on escaping this shit hole! I found out that the company I run is going to be sold in the next 2-3 years if I don't opt to fully taking it over. We'll be talking more about it this winter, as far as all the books being opened to see if it entices me. Looks like I'll be facing the choice of a huge boost to my income and stay where we're not big fans of, or move somewhere awesome and my wife's ICU RN's salary would be our main income.

Alex01

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Wrangler, 2021 JLUR
Build Thread
Link
Basically do you want to give money to China.. I ended up going with the zeon steel version and used the money I saved not buying the S to buy a TRE rope and saftey thimble. Basically a break even but I really like the safety thimble and soft shackles.
Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon vs VR evo 20210813_143211
Sponsored

Last edited: