Sponsored

Warn Zeon trouble shooting.

Soul Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wragler Willys
My power cable got loose, rubber a pulley and shorted out.

Just replaced it, when put back together it pulled in about 1' of line, I let off the button on controller and then pressed it again (needed to pull in just a few more inches) and it made a clicking sound and would no longer work.

Took control box off and put it back on again and I got the clicking again for a second and then nothing. Clicking sounds like a solenoid like when starter solenoid goes bad. Sounded like may have been from winch body rather than control pack, but can't be sure.

Control pack apart, everything looks good, all wires/nuts tight. Starter for motor works great/battery good.

Winch cables connected directly to battery terminals.

With the control pack off, that leaves the three big studs exposed. Can I run a jumper cable from (+) directly to one of these to power the motor (ie. to determine if motor or control pack is the problem)? If so, which one? One powers in, one powers out, third ground???

Have an ARB Bondi bumper and winch can't be removed without taking off the whole bumper. So if winch motor or an internal solenoid is bad I NEED to be sure.
Sponsored

OP
OP

Soul Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wragler Willys
UPDATE

So terminals are labled "A" "F1" and "F2". A is ground. I assume the control pack then feeds (+) power to either F1 or F2 to power in/out via a solenoid. I tried to put a jumper cable from (+) battery terminal to both F1 and F2 and nothing happened. Does this mean winch motor fried, or is my testing bad???

Next plan when I get a chance is to power the control pack (+) cable and use my controller to see if I get (+12v) to either of the bars running to F1 and F2 (which would mean the controller works?).

Any other ideas?

ETA: Since the motor body is grounded, the only reason all three (including a ground) would connect to the controller is that the solenoid must connect F1 or F2 TO ground (so do I jump F1/F2 to A), but then where does the 12v come from since the hot cable goes into the controller........... :headbang:

Someone must know how the controller is wired....

lashlee

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JLUR 2.0 Turbo 4 (Wife's), Tesla M3P (mine)
In my experience, you've likely got a short in the motor. I did something similar with a 9.5ti on my best friends JT. Had to replace the motor with a new one. Warn was easy to deal with and helped me during the troubleshooting phase to verify the motor was bad.

OP
OP

Soul Man

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Wragler Willys
Spoke to Warn. Controller takes the F1 and F2 terminals and connects to +/-. Not sure which is winch in v. out (ie. (+)F1 and (-)F2 or the other way around). To test you can take jumper cables and put (+) on one and (-) on the other and motor should work.

Mine arced when I touched them. Ohmmeter shows no resistance between F1/F2 so the motor is shorted :( Waiting to see what Warn says but looks like I need a new motor.

FYI if anyone finds this thread and needs to trouble shoot.....

ETA: Warn has 7 yr warranty on electric parts and said, "Would you like us to ship you a new motor?" and I said, "Yes, please"
Sponsored

Last edited: