First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 Rubicon 392, 21 Sahara Altitude
Occupation
Biz Owner
I’d try to contact who you bought it from first. As long as you didn’t install it they may be flexible.
I’ll give it a shot but they have a 15% restocking fee.
Sponsored

bkinnj

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 DDRT / '21 JLUR4xe
When I bought my Zeon, I intentionally got the steel table version so I could choose my own synthetic line. I bought https://www.masterpull.com/8mm-5-16-superline-black-winch-line-21-700-lbs/ (but wow, it was $100 cheaper at the time) and my own hawse (I wanted black, not chrome, so this was fine by me). Out the door, I think I spent a little more than just buying the synthetic version direct from Warn, but I got exactly what I wanted.

Anyways, an option to consider as you might be able to find the steel wire version sooner.
What length did you go with?

Big_Lebowski

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLURD, 2016 JKUR Rock Crawler
Occupation
I glow in the dark!
Keep in mind you almost never need a single winch that can pull a Jeep up a steep area that loads the winch with the total weight. Usually when wheeling all you need is some tension and you can drive through the obstacle. For recoveries there are often multiple winches involved. A 12K is overkill for any wrangler IMO.

Sponsored

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Warren Zevon out of stock... WTF... and this is old. Ahhhh ooohhhh, werewolves of London

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Keep in mind you almost never need a single winch that can pull a Jeep up a steep area that loads the winch with the total weight. Usually when wheeling all you need is some tension and you can drive through the obstacle. For recoveries there are often multiple winches involved. A 12K is overkill for any wrangler IMO.
I bought it because I will be towing a Turtleback getaway trailer. That’s the only time I could actually see myself using the winch. So yes there’s a very good reason for having the 12-S but thank you for your input.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Warren Zevon out of stock... WTF... and this is old. Ahhhh ooohhhh, werewolves of London
I miss what you’re trying to say.

Rscx4

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
I miss what you’re trying to say.
I guess you have to be old to get it. Warn Zeon... Warren Zevon, musician from the 70's, Werewolves of London, a great song.

Sponsored

Atom631

First Name
Atom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Unless you're in dire need of a winch now, I'd hold out for the Zeon with synthetic line and a bulletproof wired remote. I'm dead set on a Zeon 10s. No offroad trailer for me.

I plan on a few offroad trips this winter, so I may have to settle for a VR Evo 10s as a stop gap, if there's no movement on the Zeons.

And the Warn power interupt kit is well worth it, especially if you have the factory aux switches. It's just a simple solenoid, which is a switch that allows a thinner lower Amp wire to both apply and cut power between 2 higher Amp battery cables. Without it, the winch will always be hot. That opens up the potential to someone playing with or being able to steal the line or the nice Factor 55 Ultrahooks that alot of us use.
couldn't they still disengage the clutch and freespool the line out to take the hook?

JayJay

First Name
Johnny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 JLR
couldn't they still disengage the clutch and freespool the line out to take the hook?
Yes, unless you remove the clutch knob.

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Yes, unless you remove the clutch knob.
Yeah the only reason why I put mine on an auxiliary button with the solenoid in between is just the fact that it’s not hot all the time. I can kill the power to it if I need to. I don’t think it’s absolutely necessary but I do like having that available versus knowing it’s constantly on

OP
OP
alksion

alksion

First Name
Josiah
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Biz Owner
Speaking of that I finally have all my recovery equipment. I would love to go with someone as experienced and I can practice winching.

Headbarcode

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR Stingray 2.0 turbo
Vehicle Showcase
Actually, that's a good question. I'll have to see if it disengages when the hooks pulled tight to the fairlead. I've noticed a bunch of times where someone slacked the drum under power before free spooling, so I guess it's stuck in my head that it can't be disengaged while under tension.

I still maintain that a power interrupt solenoid is a worthy addition. That's a lot of amperage to be left hot and mostly unattended 24/7. It's also the reason why my compressor is wired to only be hot with ignition.
Sponsored