Sponsored

Warn Zeon Clutch Lever Lock Retrofit

aros-can

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon (Punkn), 2003 Land Rover Defender 90 Td5, 1959 Land Rover Series 2a 109 SW
I haven't had the chance to try mine yet after the fix, but mine did not move all the way to totally disengage - I am hoping that the move to totally disengage is not the natural progression of the issue though!
I reached out to Warn and they acknowledged there was the 'metal clutch block' fix, or if I wanted to 'totally alleviate the issue' they would send me a new end housing. Obviously I took them up on the latter...
Sponsored

OP
OP
cavguy

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Yes, they told me the same thing after the fact. But I wanted to try and see if the metal clutch lock actually worked. It would save me several hours of pulling stuff off the Jeep if so!

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Looking at the mounting screw placement on the winch its kind of a pain to remove the screw and mount the lock but its doable without removing the stock JL steel bumper, which is good news! Using a Torx bit mounted to two 1/4" drive extensions then mounted to a 1/4" ratchet I was able to remove the screw successfully, def. not a-lot of room to work though.
I finally got around to "trying" to install that clip. Holy crap, I have no idea how you did that. I have a 10S on Maximus 3 winch plate with the factory steel bumper. I was trying every combo of 1/4" extensions and couldn't get anything to work. When I was able to get the socket on, there would be no room for the ratchet. Very frustrating. Going to hold off for now and just try and watch it more carefully.

OP
OP
cavguy

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I finally got around to "trying" to install that clip. Holy crap, I have no idea how you did that. I have a 10S on Maximus 3 winch plate with the factory steel bumper. I was trying every combo of 1/4" extensions and couldn't get anything to work. When I was able to get the socket on, there would be no room for the ratchet. Very frustrating. Going to hold off for now and just try and watch it more carefully.
I used a small 1/4" drive SnapOn long handle ratchet with a 6" extension and another 2" extension attached and as well as a 1/4" drive SnapOn Torx bit fit into the mating socket.

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 14 GMC 1500 CC All TERRAIN
Occupation
Retired Engineer
So, did Warn have a permanent internal fix for this? Mine is 3 years old and I've never had to use it. I'm about to do an exploring trip in the Mojave desert and might need it to work. I suppose I'll reel out some line and do a line stretch before I go.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cavguy

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So, did Warn have a permanent internal fix for this? Mine is 3 years old and I've never had to use it. I'm about to do an exploring trip in the Mojave desert and might need it to work. I suppose I'll reel out some line and do a line stretch before I go.
Yes, the permanent fix is to change out the winches end housing. If you request a replacement from Warn, they will mail you a new end housing. I assume the new end housing is a newer revision but have no first hand evidence of this.

It does require removal of the winch from the mount though....

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yes, the permanent fix is to change out the winches end housing. If you request a replacement from Warn, they will mail you a new end housing. I assume the new end housing is a newer revision but have no first hand evidence of this.

It does require removal of the winch from the mount though....
Yeah, removing the winch sucks on this installation. It's wedged in tight between the bumper and grill.

So, just call Warn, give them the s/n and that's it?

OP
OP
cavguy

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Yeah, removing the winch sucks on this installation. It's wedged in tight between the bumper and grill.

So, just call Warn, give them the s/n and that's it?
Yep, royal PITA.

They did not even ask for the serial # - just model. I actually emailed them too as I could not reach a human via phone for the longest.

Jim1964

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLUR
Certainly not a good look for Warn that this happens often enough to design a band-aid for a flaw. Especially considering what we pay for this premium product.

Sort of seems like phoning it in rather than doing the right thing to protect both their customers and brand reputation.

I have a couple of Zeons in the garage most of the time and haven’t experienced it personally.

OP
OP
cavguy

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Yep, I agree.

But to be fair I was never able to determine if this was an actual flaw which could potentially lead to a failure.

The fact that they developed a band-aid in the first place means that it was at least worth engineering a mitigation for.

I got the feeling from Warn that the issue was just cosmetic in nature. Again that was just my subjective opinion.

Sponsored

roaniecowpony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Yep, I agree.

But to be fair I was never able to determine if this was an actual flaw which could potentially lead to a failure.

The fact that they developed a band-aid in the first place means that it was at least worth engineering a mitigation for.

I got the feeling from Warn that the issue was just cosmetic in nature. Again that was just my subjective opinion.
I'll give them a jingle next week. 👍

InVinoVeritasty

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep JLU Willys and JLU Rubicon
Does the replacement end housing look different than the old end housing? I'd like to know if my new Warn has the old or the fixed housing before I install it.

OP
OP
cavguy

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Does the replacement end housing look different than the old end housing? I'd like to know if my new Warn has the old or the fixed housing before I install it.
I have not had the time to tackle the replacement yet, or to compare the housings. I will try and compare them externally tomorrow. Will also see if I can get the part # from the box the end housing came in.

OP
OP
cavguy

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
From the exterior of the winch I cannot find any visual differences. I would expect there to be a difference inside though (once I get a chance to pull it apart I will post here).

Part #89237 Rev Level A1

Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon Clutch Lever Lock Retrofit IMG_0487

Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon Clutch Lever Lock Retrofit IMG_0489

Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon Clutch Lever Lock Retrofit IMG_0490

Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon Clutch Lever Lock Retrofit IMG_0488

OP
OP
cavguy

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
So I installed the new end housing assembly today. I could not notice any visual differences or functional differences between the old end housing and the new end housing.

The install required complete removal of the front bumper which of course is a PITA. Then removal of the winch so I could lift it up and get at the end housing.

The kit from Warn included new screws and gaskets, it did not include grease (I used Aeroshell 64) for the gear teeth on the new end housing, which should be greased lightly. The install of the end housing was easy.

Once I have time to test the winch under load and see if this part solves the mystery of the moving clutch lever I will post back here!
Sponsored