Sponsored

Warn Zeon Clutch Lever Lock Retrofit

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
According to Warn there is a clutch lever lock available free upon request which addresses an issue where the clutch lever on some Zeon winches moves under load from engaged toward disengage (though not fully disengaging) by itself.

Has anyone here seen or even perhaps installed this part on their Zeon winch? I am curious whats involved in the install and what this clutch lever lock looks like.

*Update* Received an image from Warn:

Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon Clutch Lever Lock Retrofit Zeon Clutch Lever
Sponsored

Last edited:

OversandJL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 2017 JKU Sahara, 2014 JKU Sport S, 2007 JKU Sport, 1997 TJ,
According to Warn there is a clutch lever lock available free upon request which addresses an issue where the clutch lever on some Zeon winches moves under load from engaged toward disengage (though not fully disengaging) by itself.

Has anyone here seen or even perhaps installed this part on their Zeon winch? I am curious whats involved in the install and what this clutch lever lock looks like.

*Update* Received an image from Warn:

Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon Clutch Lever Lock Retrofit Zeon Clutch Lever
Thanks for sharing đź‘Ť

OP
OP
cavguy

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Thanks for the post! I take it we should send an email to Warn? Any other tips?
Your welcome - yes, I just emailed them at: [email protected] and let them know I was experiencing the issue with the clutch lever moving under load, they replied back about 1 week later that they had a fix!

They did also mention that they were out of these until early next month unfortunately... They said they would ship me out one sometime likely around the first week of February.

Looking at the mounting screw placement on the winch its kind of a pain to remove the screw and mount the lock but its doable without removing the stock JL steel bumper, which is good news! Using a Torx bit mounted to two 1/4" drive extensions then mounted to a 1/4" ratchet I was able to remove the screw successfully, def. not a-lot of room to work though.

mikej

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Looking at the mounting screw placement on the winch its kind of a pain to remove the screw and mount the lock but its doable without removing the stock JL steel bumper, which is good news! Using a Torx bit mounted to two 1/4" drive extensions then mounted to a 1/4" ratchet I was able to remove the screw successfully, def. not a-lot of room to work though.
Thanks! Glad you were able to get to the screw. I don't have the stock JL steel bumper, so I think it would be easier. That said, I haven't had the issue, but I might take the preventative route.

Sponsored

STW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR 2door 2.0T Rubicon stingrey
would be useful to know (from Warn) what models of winch have this problem. Does it also happen with EVO models or something they've seen only on Zeon models? Can tell from the photo whether this retro-fit lever lock would fit on EVO models or did Warn develop it specifically for Zeon winches?

OP
OP
cavguy

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
would be useful to know (from Warn) what models of winch have this problem. Does it also happen with EVO models or something they've seen only on Zeon models? Can tell from the photo whether this retro-fit lever lock would fit on EVO models or did Warn develop it specifically for Zeon winches?
Good questions! I didn't ask any of these in particular though. I too was kind of hoping Warn would put out a notice letting people know about the issue and the fix and what models of were effected.

To be honest I was surprised no one else has chimed in with the same problem that I noticed, I am pretty sure there are more than just 2 people on the forum having the problem.

JAF1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUR
Did you ever get the lock? If so, were you able to install it? I have the same thing going on with mine but just "assumed" it was normal.

OP
OP
cavguy

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Did you ever get the lock? If so, were you able to install it? I have the same thing going on with mine but just "assumed" it was normal.
Yes I did, and I installed it pretty easily too (will get a pic). The behavior is defiantly not as expected - but apparently it's not a show stopper requiring a rebuild.

I haven't had time to test out the winch under load yet.

Sponsored

OP
OP
cavguy

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Here are two pics of the lever installed. Note that there is a small depression which supposedly prevents the clutch lever from moving when in the engaged position.

The clutch lock lever is held on by one screw in the winch housing. Its a pain to get to (needed 2 - 1/4" extensions) as there is not alot of room to work with the bumper in place.

Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon Clutch Lever Lock Retrofit IMG_0414

Jeep Wrangler JL Warn Zeon Clutch Lever Lock Retrofit IMG_0415

aros-can

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon (Punkn), 2003 Land Rover Defender 90 Td5, 1959 Land Rover Series 2a 109 SW
I too have recently had this issue with my Zeon-10, although mine when under load rotated all the way through to disengaged and stopped winching.

OP
OP
cavguy

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I too have recently had this issue with my Zeon-10, although mine when under load rotated all the way through to disengaged and stopped winching.
That is defiantly not good. You should reach out to Warn and send that winch in for service! Or they may send you a new motor assembly.

aros-can

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU Rubicon (Punkn), 2003 Land Rover Defender 90 Td5, 1959 Land Rover Series 2a 109 SW
That is defiantly not good. You should reach out to Warn and send that winch in for service! Or they may send you a new motor assembly.
I’ll speak to Warn and see what they say. The shop that installed it spoke to Warn and said they had no knowledge of similar issues . Since then we’ve been unable to replicate it, and I’ve used it hard 3 or 4 times without issue. But I’m still concerned about a winch that can disengage itself under load…. There’s no way that flimsy strip of metal would’ve helped, we tried two of us holding it in engaged while it took up load and it easily just rotated and disengaged itself. In my mind internally this shouldn’t be even be possible but I’m not 100% on the internal clutch mechanism.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cavguy

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
I’ll speak to Warn and see what they say. The shop that installed it spoke to Warn and said they had no knowledge of similar issues . Since then we’ve been unable to replicate it, and I’ve used it hard 3 or 4 times without issue. But I’m still concerned about a winch that can disengage itself under load…. There’s no way that flimsy strip of metal would’ve helped, we tried two of us holding it in engaged while it took up load and it easily just rotated and disengaged itself. In my mind internally this shouldn’t be even be possible but I’m not 100% on the internal clutch mechanism.
I haven't had the chance to try mine yet after the fix, but mine did not move all the way to totally disengage - I am hoping that the move to totally disengage is not the natural progression of the issue though!
Sponsored