Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Instagram @sentineljeep
Vehicle Showcase
A local Jeep accessory shop offered me a Warn Zeon 8 base model winch with metal cable for $660 today. He said he just wants to get it off his shelf. It seems like a really good deal but I just want to make sure since I really wanted a 10s but I love a bargain more than anything. Also will I ever really get into a situation where it isn't enough to pull me out of somewhere?
Sponsored

MikeJLUR

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 4 door Rubicon
I personally would not get a steel cable. No reason to carry the extra weight.

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
Not a bad deal necessarily, but my vote is for a 9500-10000 lb. winch with a synthetic rope. I just got a Smittybilt X20 98510 for under $500 (I know, it's not a Warn!!!!). I haven't even installed it yet so can't personally evaluate it, but a lot of good (and some bad) reviews out there.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
I think that I would also take a pass because of the steel.

Steven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4x4
Occupation
Dad
I'd skip. Base weight of a stock JLUR is 4,345 lbs. Top layer of cable of the Zeon 8 is only rated at 5,189 lbs. If you add two people and some accessories, you will be hitting the limits of the winch rather quickly.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Joshin38

Joshin38

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
Occupation
Instagram @sentineljeep
Vehicle Showcase
What if I told you guys I already have 100’ of synthetic stowed away for a rainy day?

robaw

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU MOAB (MOJITO!), 2009 Honda CBR600RR
What if I told you guys I already have 100’ of synthetic stowed away for a rainy day?
Well now that's interesting...

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
Do it. 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle is what is recommended. It would always Be nice to have the 10 k but it’s a Zeon. It will be fine pulling your JLU. They’re fast and you can always use a snatch block for extra weight. Most people don’t even use the damn thing. You’ll be fine.

Steven

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara 4x4
Occupation
Dad
Do it. 1.5 times the weight of the vehicle is what is recommended. It would always Be nice to have the 10 k but it’s a Zeon. It will be fine pulling your JLU. They’re fast and you can always use a snatch block for extra weight. Most people don’t even use the damn thing. You’ll be fine.
If that is the thinking, then I would still skip it. Better to save the money and realize that he doesn't need than buy it and waste the money.

Sheepjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
01 xj, 04 Silverado 2500hd
Take it is a good deal will serve you well pull wise or flip it and see if you can make a little money on top

The wire vs synthetic for weight is only important when unspooling by hand, synthetic is easier to pull wouldn't worry about much more than that it's a 20 lb difference. The big win with synthetic is how it handled with it breaking, but it requires maintenance to keep it clean and watch out for running on rocks.

At that price I would pick it up and swap it to a synthetic rope easy job to do and sounds like you have a ropo ready to go Just make sure that you get a new hawes fairlead if it comes with a roller fairlead or it's been used with the steel cable as well as anything else you get in the deal like snatch blocks, a cheap fairlead will do just add good as the overpriced car show ones. When you pull the old rope of check the drum for and Spurs or anything that could cut the rope when the fairlead change as well.

Sponsored

spies

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
I would trust a zeon8 more than a vr10. And if you ask Warn they will probably tell you the same thing. That's a good deal, about $300 under retail, and well below dealer cost.

As far as switching to a synthetic line. I wouldn't buy an off-the-shelf synthetic zeon anyway. A lot of that price premium is going towards the spydura cable. Buy something made with amsteel blue or dyneema and keep the rest of the money in your pocket.

One thing I would recommend splurging on is a billet fairlead. I have seen the cast Warn fairleads break and cut cables before.

Last edited:

OnlyOne

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S Diesel on 37s
If that is the thinking, then I would still skip it. Better to save the money and realize that he doesn't need than buy it and waste the money.
No it’s not. That’s your thinking. It’s his Jeep and he wants a winch. It’s a great deal. This isn’t a need, it’s a want. Like this entire forum. If any of us wanted to save money we sure as hell wouldn’t have bought a Jeep.

TOTL Innovations

Rock Sponsor (Level 1)
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.totlinnovations.com
Vehicle(s)
2008 JK
I consider winches as a need if you are doing any sort of complicated offroading. Its insurance. I never want to use it but Im sure glad I have it there when I do end up needing it.

Think of it as an insurance payment spread out over the course of your ownership and then it isnt so bad :)
Sponsored