Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Vehicle Showcase
Hi all,

I installed a 10-S and used it on the trails for the first time this past weekend. The red cabling that surrounds the core black cabling of the synthetic cable split on me somehow. I think it’s because of my improper spooling of the cable.

My question is, can I still use the cable reliably without any issues? From what I’ve read, the red cable adds extra towing capacity. The black inner cable is still alive and kicking.

Here’s a pic of what part of th cable I’m talking about. The red part wraps around the inner spool.

Before you tell me that I need a new cable, please understand that I’m aware of that. At $300 a pop, what I want to know is if I’ll still be ok with the cable I have currently.

EDE4547D-BE49-483E-9A4D-5EA0A94E2923.jpeg
Sponsored

CuylerTech

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon Bright White 3.6L 8 Speed
Did you make sure to spool the line under tension before using it to pull yourself/someone else out?

OP
OP
Dreadnought_Leviathan

Dreadnought_Leviathan

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Occupation
Finance
Vehicle Showcase
Did you make sure to spool the line under tension before using it to pull yourself/someone else out?
Not as much tension as I should have.

Ribixcon

First Name
Dennis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler JL 2 door Rubicon
Hi all,

I installed a 10-S and used it on the trails for the first time this past weekend. The red cabling that surrounds the core black cabling of the synthetic cable split on me somehow. I think it’s because of my improper spooling of the cable.

My question is, can I still use the cable reliably without any issues? From what I’ve read, the red cable adds extra towing capacity. The black inner cable is still alive and kicking.

Here’s a pic of what part of th cable I’m talking about. The red part wraps around the inner spool.

Before you tell me that I need a new cable, please understand that I’m aware of that. At $300 a pop, what I want to know is if I’ll still be ok with the cable I have currently.

My understanding (and I am new to this winch) is that the red stuff is there to protect the synthetic cable from the heat that the drum might generate.
I assume the red stuff is still there, just has a rip in it. I would not worrie about it.
When you respool with correct tension on the this time - just make sure the red stuff is in between your winch drum and the black line.

NYC_Bobby

First Name
Bobby
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon, 2018 JL MOAB, 2016 Renegade Trailhawk
Hi all,

Give Warn a call, they are quick to answer and always very helpful. Take, send a few photos over.

Sponsored

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
As mentioned, the red stuff is there to protect the line from the heat of the drum. Grab some cloth type tape (similar to hockey stick tape) secure it on there, and don't worry about it. (just dont use actual hockey tape, that crap has a tar like substance in it that is always tacky and sticky.)
Sponsored