First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Marketing
Back in august I bought a warn zeon 10s from 4wheel parts. I searched for this model and seemingly got one of the few zeon 10s left anywhere in the US.
when I bought it the box had been opened already but sales lady said it’s brand new take a look. It all looked fine- zeon 10s stickers on the winch. My mistake was not comparing the model and serial number on the box/warranty card to the numbers on the bottom of the winch.

The box has been in the garage waiting for me to get the right bumper. I opened the box yesterday and noticed that the clutch lever was 180 degree kind. This made no sense since the serial number on the box matched the serial number range for the 90 degree lever.

The numbers on the winch itself don’t match the numbers on the box. Not even close.

the winch looks new with no wear or tear or dust on it

The biggest issue aside from mismatch is warn changed the clutch lever throw from 180 degrees (old version) to 90 degrees (new version) so the lever wouldn’t bump into the new Jeep JL cut out in the bumper.

I know warn used to make a conversion kit but they discontinued it and don’t sell it anymore.

I called 4wheel parts National number and basically got “not our problem, call the local store”. I asked what company policy is and he said “if it was purchased at one of our local stores then it’s their issue not ours. Thank you good bye”

local store not answering the phone.

Should I feel ripped off?
Sponsored

Last edited:

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
Yes. Unfortunately, 4 Wheel Parts SUCKS!

If you have a well-run 4WP store nearby then you are extremely lucky. And yes, they don’t like to get involved. Whenever you have a product issue, they want you to take it up directly with the manufacturer.

The good news is Warn’s customer service is pretty good.

Good luck.

ConqSoft

First Name
Keith
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JL 2 Door Rubicon 6 Speed
Occupation
Systems Analyst
Vehicle Showcase
Someone probably bought it, switched it out to get the newer model, returned it, and 4WP didn't check closely enough to make sure they got the right one back.

Unfortunately since you didn't check it out before you bought it, it's basically your word against theirs.

Hope you get it resolved!

Sponsored

Badfish

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR XR
Occupation
Retired fisherman
I don't think that's going to work. He bought an open box product and inspected it prior to taking ownership.
You'd be surprised. I use my Amex all the time and they go to bat for me all the time in scenarios like this. I always try to deal w/ merchants, but if any resistance to help from them, I hand it off and don't have to deal w/ it anymore as sometimes I am just too busy to bicker w/ someone. It is 100% worth trying to dispute thru card issuer.

I'd take advantage of their service. (card issuer that is)

Abramovich

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Sport S (Chief) and 2022 Willys XR (Gobi) ord
Occupation
Retired
This has nothing to due with Tech. Threads like this are fine but not in a Tech forum.
I have more of an issue with the title. This is not "Bait and Switch". It is a return scam. I work in retail returns, this is a big issue with low/no moral consumers.

hiimmike

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler JLUR
Occupation
Network Engineer
I've been in two 4Wheel Parts stores and both of them were HORRIBLE. I would never use them for product or services. They wanted to charge me for 16 hours of labor to install a 2" spacer lift on a Subaru Outback. Then, when I told them I was going elsewhere, the guy thought he would be kind enough to say, "well, good luck with that, I'm sure you'll be back to us to fix what the other shop screws up" and then hung up on me.

OP
OP
Jeepmarkjl

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
Update: 4wheel parts found a new in box 10s elsewhere in the country. It’s being shipped today. Even swap. And if they couldn’t find one, they offered full refund plus more. He said this has happened before with display model being put in a box leftover from an install. There are in fact 3 other Zeon 10s out there but they are not new in box.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Jeepmarkjl

Jeepmarkjl

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
Marketing
I have more of an issue with the title. This is not "Bait and Switch". It is a return scam. I work in retail returns, this is a big issue with low/no moral consumers.
Nope. It was a display model put in a left over box from an install according to the store mgr bc they had a record of it but didn’t disclose that to me when I bought it. He apologized and made it right.

Bocephus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 392
Occupation
Sam’s Decorative Automotive Button Emporium
Someone else is going to have a Merry Discount Christmas when the next poor soul buys your boxed demo / return / swapathon special!

super glad that 4wp did the right thing for you!

Tech Tim

Summit Sponsor (Level 3)
First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4x4 of all kinds
Occupation
Part of the Northridge4x4 team

KAB96F

First Name
Kerry
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon XR
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Back in august I bought a warn zeon 10s from 4wheel parts. I searched for this model and seemingly got one of the few zeon 10s left anywhere in the US.
when I bought it the box had been opened already but sales lady said it’s brand new take a look. It all looked fine- zeon 10s stickers on the winch. My mistake was not comparing the model and serial number on the box/warranty card to the numbers on the bottom of the winch.

The box has been in the garage waiting for me to get the right bumper. I opened the box yesterday and noticed that the clutch lever was 180 degree kind. This made no sense since the serial number on the box matched the serial number range for the 90 degree lever.

The numbers on the winch itself don’t match the numbers on the box. Not even close.

the winch looks new with no wear or tear or dust on it

The biggest issue aside from mismatch is warn changed the clutch lever throw from 180 degrees (old version) to 90 degrees (new version) so the lever wouldn’t bump into the new Jeep JL cut out in the bumper.

I know warn used to make a conversion kit but they discontinued it and don’t sell it anymore.

I called 4wheel parts National number and basically got “not our problem, call the local store”. I asked what company policy is and he said “if it was purchased at one of our local stores then it’s their issue not ours. Thank you good bye”

local store not answering the phone.

Should I feel ripped off?
Yes, as you were ripped off! I'd dispute on your credit card ASAP.