Sponsored

Warn Platinum— is it worth the extra cost?

PyrPatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Gladiator
Something that might be of use when considering a Zeon vs a Zeon Platinum is that there is no manual clutch engagement lever on the Platinum. If the remote dies, or won't work, then you can't do anything to spool the cable in or out.

I know this because I installed a Platinum in a bumper on a truck and when I got ready to install the winch rope, the winch wouldn't do anything. Very, very frustrating to say the least. lol

I have a Zeon on my personal JK and it has been a great winch. I will have a Zeon 10S on my JLUR as well.

Hope this is helpful!

Marcus
Happened to a guy riding with us. Winch controller broke, couldnt even use his rig as an anchor to help get a 4runner unstuck using another smaller Jeep
Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Another downfall of the Platinum is the remote battery won’t even last a month in the glove box before it’s completely dead. Warn said that‘s not normal and sent me another battery to swap it out, new one does the same thing...

Drveovru

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jlu sport
are the batteries a standard type battery like aa or 9v? The reason I ask as a fire fighter most of our thermal imagers work great but after 5-10 years you can no longer find batteries for them and you basically have to purchase a new 5-8k imager ... just something to think about

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
Nope. It’s a lithium ion similar to those in baby monitors.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
Nope. It’s a lithium ion similar to those in baby monitors.
I was shopping for a Zeon and came across an unopened 10k Platinum Zeon in an unopened box for $1500, so I thought “great deal” and opened, inspected for damage, all components there, and picked it up quickly. I didn’t realize the remote is rechargeable I guess. Are the batteries removable for storage? Is the Bluetooth connection the reason for discharge?

Sponsored

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
The Bluetooth isn’t on when the remote is off. You also turn off the switch on the winch. Battery is not removable (except for replacement). Just won’t hold a charge more than a couple weeks. I have to charge it before every run. They are lithium ion, I’m actually surprised they don’t hold a charge better. Tempted to try a baby monitor battery???

Thinman

First Name
Rich
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2019 Rebel 12 and...... a 2012 Prius
On the plus side, the remote is live as soon as plugged into a charging usb and you can just use it wired if dead.

I put one on my 1500 since it is a hidden mount and i didn't want to deal with a clutch relocation. Given the remote battery is basically dead at all times, it is effectively a wired remote with the occasional (hey it finally charged enough but we are done now) wireless capability.

I had the choice knowing all that when I purchased for my Jeep and did not choose the platinum.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
The Bluetooth isn’t on when the remote is off. You also turn off the switch on the winch. Battery is not removable (except for replacement). Just won’t hold a charge more than a couple weeks. I have to charge it before every run. They are lithium ion, I’m actually surprised they don’t hold a charge better. Tempted to try a baby monitor battery???
Before I knew that I was anticipating keeping spare batteries in the glovebox.

BlueMoose

First Name
Blue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2023
Occupation
Moose
well, i actually got to try out the zeon platinum saturday night. was out in borrego springs,
just past the sea serpent, on the flat sandy area, and found, of all things, a brand new mustang
GT buried above the rear axle in silt. it was only about 15' from the road when it buried itself.

rental car, three millenials inside, looking like they were looking for burning man. wind blowing
about 30 mph, quite the sandstorm. looks like they were out viewing the sculptures on the playa,
and didn't make it to the road.

i offered to pull them out, if they held me harmless for any unfortunate outcomes to this.
drove the jeep across the asphalt, 70' away, and buried the rear wheels in the sand as deep
as i could get them, the put it in 4WH to get the front wheels buried a bit, to anchor it.
set the parking brake, and hooked a choker around the left front rim, with a clevice to my winch
line. there is NOTHING to hook onto on a new mustang except the rim. zero. the entire underbelly
has a ABS air management plate.

so, you'd have to pick with a tow trucks tire claws, or tie off to the rim, and see if you could cold
drag it.

it would not budge. zero.

but, the winch test portion of the program drug my jeep 5' with the wheels locked thru silt when
buried. didn't even flinch.

the winch works fine, the remote works fine, and is very convenient when trying to do this solo,
and as long as it doesn't stop working, i'm pretty satisfied with the whole thing.

and the dragon near where the thing was stuck was cool, as well.

dragn.jpg
Currently considering the Zeon vs the Platinum. Need reliabilty as it’ll likely be the only winch available between two Jeeps. Would you still buy the Platinum now that you’ve presumably had years of experience with it?

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
well, seeing as every recovery truck driver on youtube says to go get harbor freight winches, and that to a man, they despise warn winches..... how could youtube be wrong?

Sponsored

BlueMoose

First Name
Blue
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR 2023
Occupation
Moose
well, seeing as every recovery truck driver on youtube says to go get harbor freight winches, and that to a man, they despise warn winches..... how could youtube be wrong?
Are you saying your Warn gave up the ghost? Cuz I’m not shopping harbor frieght… I’m camparing those two specific winchs and see you have & like the platinum but your posts are several yrs old…

1996cc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLUR 392
This has changed my life!!! Battery is good now and actually holds a charge like it should. I did try an Amazon switch that was junk. Got a decent mag switch from a small local electronics store and it works perfect.

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
Are you saying your Warn gave up the ghost? Cuz I’m not shopping harbor frieght… I’m camparing those two specific winchs and see you have & like the platinum but your posts are several yrs old…
nah. works fine. expensive as fuck. i mention that every recovery truck operator swears by HF.
i don't do harbor freight either, but every tow truck driver says they have had warn winches fail,
and won't use them.

i just put a new engine in the JL at 125,000 miles. it was cheaper and better than rebuilding the 3.6.
$3,000 including shipping. engine they sent had it's original oil in it, and appeared unused. hemi swap from rubitrux.

to be honest, jeep's aren't particularly reliable, in my experience. and i do remote back country stuff, where reliability is more important than anything else.

what i really want is a unimog, but there we are.

DadJokes

First Name
Daniel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Sahara
My 10 month old Warn Zeon Platinum 10S, respooled twice light load, brake failed. No service center nearby so it’ll be a while before I repair it. Figured I’d try a Comeup Seal Slim 9.5.

FulThrotl

First Name
Randy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon
My 10 month old Warn Zeon Platinum 10S, respooled twice light load, brake failed. No service center nearby so it’ll be a while before I repair it. Figured I’d try a Comeup Seal Slim 9.5.
oh, yeah.... forgot this.... the remote is a piece of shit. goes dead every two weeks.
here is how you can rebuild your remote on your $2k winch....

Sponsored