Sponsored

WARN JL Rubicon Winch Mount Plate and Zeon 10-S Install

Ed El Man

First Name
Edgar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLUR, 2016 Ducati XDiavel S, 2011 Ducati 848 Evo, 2008 Mazda CX-9 Grandtouring (the beater)
Vehicle Showcase
This red/black combo looks awesome, which plate and fairlead is this?
I ordered it on line and don’t remember where, it’s been about 2 years now. Sorry.

jsmartin14

First Name
Jody
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLURD delivered 06-16-2020
Also, if you remove the grill before install (same process as JK), it makes tightening the 8 nuts WAYYYYY easier. It's a tight fit getting the bottom of the grill (metal clips that go into frame slits) back on.........but it works, and no paint was chipped. I was able to complete all 8 nuts with a 3/8 ratchet, small extension, and deep socket, in less than 5 minutes. This helps in routing the wiring, as well. Wish I had read this thread before install. I would have known to put the hawse fairlead on before installing the bumper back onto the frame.

BamaJeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Sting Grey
Also, if you remove the grill before install (same process as JK), it makes tightening the 8 nuts WAYYYYY easier. It's a tight fit getting the bottom of the grill (metal clips that go into frame slits) back on.........but it works, and no paint was chipped. I was able to complete all 8 nuts with a 3/8 ratchet, small extension, and deep socket, in less than 5 minutes. This helps in routing the wiring, as well. Wish I had read this thread before install. I would have known to put the hawse fairlead on before installing the bumper back onto the frame.
I've seen others also mention putting the hawse fairlead on before installing the bumper back on. My question is, doesn't the Warn winch plate have holes that the bolts have to go through as well? If you bolt the hawse fairlead onto the bumper before it gets put onto the bumper I don't see how you complete this step? Is threading the hawse fairlead bolts all the way through to the warn winch plate not necessary? This would definitely speed up the process if so.

neeesack

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, Granite Crystal
Occupation
Mechanical Engineer
I've seen others also mention putting the hawse fairlead on before installing the bumper back on. My question is, doesn't the Warn winch plate have holes that the bolts have to go through as well? If you bolt the hawse fairlead onto the bumper before it gets put onto the bumper I don't see how you complete this step? Is threading the hawse fairlead bolts all the way through to the warn winch plate not necessary? This would definitely speed up the process if so.
Anyone have any insight on this? Thanks in advance!

Sponsored

ATL_Crawl

First Name
Trevor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Rubicon Recon
I didn’t have to remove the 2 black tack welded nuts in order for mine to fit. However my winch has a slight slow forward. Did I do something wrong or did Warn update the design??

ALEX-4LO

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR & 2020 JLUR - Project JL's
So after reading this thread and watching some videos here and there. I still decided to install the warn mount plate. It was everything that everyone said it would be LOL.... :facepalm: The reason behind me making this decision is the warn mount plate is pretty stout just a pain to install and does not line up.

- Removing the fog light clips from the bumper is lame. After doing so and installing the bumper it still hangs and cannot get them to reinstall on the winch mount plate. I believe if you do not remove them fog light wiring and clips you should be fine it will not pinch when installing the bumper.

- Installing the mount plate and getting everything lined up fairly easy. Positioning the warn winch 10-S was a nightmare no room at all! I scrapped up the corners of the winch trying to set it in place and making sure it aligns to the holes where you screw in the four bolts. Still pretty pissed that my winch is all scrapped up on all corners:headbang:. I am telling you there is no room at all. The four bolts I used to secure the winch to the plate I made sure to use blue loctite and torqued it to 45lbs of torque. The last thing you want is that winch loose and moving around and getting banged up while bouncing off the rocks.

-Lastly get the Artec winch mount plate. My buddy installed it and it was painless very easy! you do not have to remove or loosen up the fog light wiring. Everything aligns and there is a fair amount of room for a winch 12 - S Platinum which he installed.

cavguy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Reviving this thread. I just finished an install of a Warn Zeon 10s and used the Warn 101255 winch plate for my install.

My observations:
  1. The winch plate itself is now made in Russia not in the USA anymore apparently.
  2. Per the new instructions, you do not have to remove and discard the frame horn support gussets.
  3. DO NOT install the Fairlead filler plate and fairlead on the exterior of the bumper before mounting the bumper to the frame! If you do this you will sandwich the nut between the winch plate and the bumper! This will cause your bumper to fit uneven (bulged in the middle) against the winch plate and you will thus not be able to connect the bumper skid plate fully! No drilling of the plate is needed!
  4. The winch plate came with two super small zip ties, whoever packaged them really messed this up. They were in no way up to the task of holding the winch plate and winch. Do yourself a favor and have (4) heavy duty zip ties on hand.
  5. I checked the clearance and did not have to remove the 2 small tack welded nuts on the bottom each of the frame horn bracket.

Last edited:

Sponsored

Weatherman

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Silverado, 21 Rubicon 4xe
Has anyone done this install lately? I have my 2021 JLUR 4xe apart in my driveway and am doing some head scratching. I am not convinced the Warn winch plate is going to line up. I think I have a couple of extra nuts welded on there for some reason, and my sway bar disconnect is further forward. But I have not done this before.
Jeep Wrangler JL WARN JL Rubicon Winch Mount Plate and Zeon 10-S Install 9B19AD0D-53D9-4D67-9A67-510BF0E3FC69_1_105_c

Jeep Wrangler JL WARN JL Rubicon Winch Mount Plate and Zeon 10-S Install 4C30845E-5F3F-4351-855F-6504E63B179B_1_105_c

Midding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe, 2019 JLUR, 2016 Sahara Unlimited
Hey, I did the install on a 4xe last weekend and a 2019 Rubicon two years ago. The same damn nut is in the way. In 2019 I left it in place and worked around it. The skid plate didn’t fit so I had to enlarge the holes in the plate. This year I cut the bottom nut off, the plate and winch went together so much easier including no modifications to the skid plate. Not sure what the nut is for but I figure I’ll worry about that later if I need it. Good luck.

Weatherman

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hey, I did the install on a 4xe last weekend and a 2019 Rubicon two years ago. The same damn nut is in the way. In 2019 I left it in place and worked around it. The skid plate didn’t fit so I had to enlarge the holes in the plate. This year I cut the bottom nut off, the plate and winch went together so much easier including no modifications to the skid plate. Not sure what the nut is for but I figure I’ll worry about that later if I need it. Good luck.
Got it. Cut the lower nut off. Will do. After that it worked? No difference in the sway bar position to worry about? Thanks for the help.

Midding

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 4xe, 2019 JLUR, 2016 Sahara Unlimited
I’ve had no issues with the sway bar. No doubt it’s a tight fit but it works and looks great.

Weatherman

First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Dusk update. The winch plate is in via 4 bolts and a bunch of zip ties per instructions. Spacer plate and winch are bolted to the winch plate. Works suspended due to dark. We resume tomorrow and start on the electrical.
Sponsored