Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler JLU Sahara (Granite)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
So I opted in for the Warn Evo VR winch. Didn’t do so great the first time I put it to use. Not sure if it was the mud but it wouldn’t free spool and it kept getting stuck. Only gave me like 8ft of rope before it got stuck again. The next day I tried it again and got at least 30ft or so but was still stuck and wouldn’t give me the entire rope. The end loop thingy also came off and the pin securing the hook also went missing. Once we got the winch to work, it did pull me out of the pool. Hopefully, they replace my rope at least at no extra cost.

5A8561F1-2B0B-439A-AD11-1BC99F8D7310.jpeg

D85A1B46-FBA7-4A66-93A0-0F43974361D0.jpeg

8E1A2290-3629-4E1A-A205-6C85B694E101.jpeg

4917E83F-2959-4294-A69F-07B868BFB9F0.jpeg

76FE523E-CB55-48F6-B74D-47CA7E6B0CF4.jpeg

BF09B264-7143-483A-B708-77CB62C9D920.jpeg

D18AB993-3644-4A19-85CB-646FF5A6EDD7.jpeg

D1204E03-A8A2-48BF-93EB-6EB3263B3F56.jpeg
Sponsored

danm

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 2-Door Sting Gray
Sounds like you didn’t pretension it before using it the first time. What you want to do is spin off all the rope from the drum except for the last 10 feet. Hook it to a solid object and winch the rope back in while pulling your vehicle. Guide the rope back and forth on the drum while it winds in for nice even layers. Then you should be good to go.

Dr. RGB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No longer own a Jeep
Clubs

Yikes, not something you would expect from Warn. As someone who goes off-road not very often, the EVO was a viable option for me. I hope this gets rectified for you soon!

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Yes to be completely honest, I didn’t pretension the rope as you described. I only did it very mildly so that could’ve played a big role.
But I mean the wireless option is great. Even tho the rope didn’t fully come out, it did help me get out of this pool once we attached another strap.

39910A64-66FF-435E-AEEF-24CBDFD68669.jpeg

AE20F93C-7782-4946-B318-8A69DDCDC7E9.jpeg

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Did you try running it in the out direction instead of free spooling? (although, if it is tensioned with layers over the free end, that would also be a pain.

I look at mine as insurance...

Sponsored

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Yup, tried everything.

Did you try running it in the out direction instead of free spooling? (although, if it is tensioned with layers over the free end, that would also be a pain.

I look at mine as insurance...

Consumer

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1971 Toyota FJ40
Not to be a jerk but that was 100% operator error. If you had spoiled it properly you wouldn’t have had any issues.

Suffolklou

First Name
Lou
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
Do you think that the rope being backlashed like a fishing reel is what prevented you from spooling the winch rope out?

I am really glad that you posted this. It reminded me that my flat link was a little loose. I discovered that my winch controller battery was dead. Always carry the cable kids! (ordered a new battery)

McGilli

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Sahara Unlimited Altitude
I am curious about one thing - when you buy a Warn - do they come with the line already spooled on it loosely?

I have a Smittybilt which comes with the rope separate in the box, and I could not even put the entire line onto the winch unless it was under tension.

I figured I'd wind it on under my own strength just so it was on there - until I could get out to a tree to do it properly - but just wouldn't fit.

Had to carry it in the rear of the Jeep until I could do it properly.

Again, just curious since yours was on loosely.

Consumer

First Name
Alex
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 1971 Toyota FJ40
I am curious about one thing - when you buy a Warn - do they come with the line already spooled on it loosely?

I have a Smittybilt which comes with the rope separate in the box, and I could not even put the entire line onto the winch unless it was under tension.

I figured I'd wind it on under my own strength just so it was on there - until I could get out to a tree to do it properly - but just wouldn't fit.

The Zeon 10S I just bought came unspooled.

Sponsored

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Do you think that the rope being backlashed like a fishing reel is what prevented you from spooling the winch rope out?

I am really glad that you posted this. It reminded me that my flat link was a little loose. I discovered that my winch controller battery was dead. Always carry the cable kids! (ordered a new battery)
That played a big role for sure. That thing was deep. At least 5ft.

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
Not to be a jerk but that was 100% operator error. If you had spoiled it properly you wouldn’t have had any issues.
I wouldn't say 100% but certainly a factor.

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase

Yes, the VRs come with the rope already in there. The Zeon ones come with the rope separately.

OP
OP
jlroman2

jlroman2

First Name
Jorge
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
BCBA
Vehicle Showcase
So we went out to explore some trails last night during the snow/ice storm and we all got stuck in what apparently was a swampy area. The winch did its thing and helped me get out, which I was then able to tow strap my other guys out. So yeah, the winch is good. The wireless option is amazing. That day I guess it was just the amount of water, mud, angle of the slope, and me not pretensioning the rope enough that played a role. I used the rope as it is above. Going to see if Warn replaces it for free.

Hayseed_JLUR

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR, 2015 JKU
Operator error in not spooling correctly when installed. It needs to be pretensioned and spooled correctly so it will not cross itself and lock up. That is what one pic looks like it did.

The angle, mud, and water had nothing to do with it. These will work in much worse conditions than the pics show. I know from first hand experience.

Take the winch with the first row on and then winch yourself up a slight incline to put tension on it. Guide the rope back and forth to evenly distribute it.

Glad you have it working and are happy. Lesson learned.
Sponsored