Sponsored

Wardrobe malfunction exposes JL Wrangler rear

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
Yep, looks LED too which should make it brighter in fog & snow hopefully.
Sponsored

Campbell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger
Where is the back up camera?
You can't make out the backup camera in the image above since it's so blurry, but you can see there's a flap for it in the camouflage that's hanging off the rear.

The camera's not very conspicuous anyway since it sits right in the center cap area.

New-2018-Jeep-Wrangler_Less_003.jpg

New-2018-Jeep-Wrangler_Less_007.jpg

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

An update from the FCA dealer meeting - the the spare tire will be mounted 3-4 inches lower to improve rear visibility.

lookitsadam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sport
Would a lower tire mean that current after market rear bumpers for the JK wouldn't necessarily fit the JL?

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Would a lower tire mean that current after market rear bumpers for the JK wouldn't necessarily fit the JL?
Could also wreak hell with tow hitches and rear mounted carriers for bikes and other crap...

OP
OP
JAY

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Hard to say. Keep in mind we do not yet have specifics on the height of the JL vs JK rear window so this info could be factoring in the relative placement of the spare tire mount when accounting for those changes.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
I have my own ideas how to mount and load bikes on back...

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
The wiper being attached to the gate and not the hard top makes me wonder how, if at all, it'd work with the soft top rear window.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The wiper being attached to the gate and not the hard top makes me wonder how, if at all, it'd work with the soft top rear window.
Maybe the tailgate will have a retractable roll-down rear window... For hard tops AND soft tops. Could be part of what they are hiding.

Sponsored

Bullring

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
I'm not seeing such a drastic 4" rear tire drop from the pics but trying to find good comparison. But maybe so based on these?

img_4771a-jpg.jpg
jeep-wrangler-sahara-rear.jpg

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I went back to double check the update, where did it say mounting to tailgate?

I don't think it's mounted to the gate, I think the new location is what we saw in the previous mule, just at the bottom but still attached to the glass.

If they did mount it to the gate you'd likely end up with inconsistent wiper pressure on the glass hardtop and even less consistent on the plastic fo the soft top.

IMG_0817.JPG

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Maybe the tailgate will have a retractable roll-down rear window... For hard tops AND soft tops. Could be part of what they are hiding.
That would be interesting and similar to old station wagons and some SUVs, but is the tailgate tall enough to house a window that tall? Proportions seem off where the tailgate is 2/3 as high as the window, and currently the window is also wider than the tailgate.

They'd also have to change how the closure works at getting a tight fit might be hard as it currently relies on the tailgate closing action snugging up the closure point at the bottom and acting as a retention bar.

Plus, why would you need hinges at the top with a roll-down window?

Now if they could also make the tailgate swing out and also fold down like the old station wagons too, similar to the ridgeline, now that would be great. But the weight of the spare kinda precludes that.

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Plus, why would you need hinges at the top with a roll-down window?
Totally blows my theory right there. Unless the hinges (of which we can only see the lower half) are a ruse... :lipssealed:

I never noticed that box above the dude in the blue hat (disposing of the body) but that makes sense. I think it's kinda dumb to mount the wiper motor there, given the moment on it relative to window hinges & an added need for spring rate in the struts, as well as a head knocker when accessing the cargo area. I think it belongs on the tailgate like most other SUVs and could be only functional when the hard top is on and plugged in (and not included on soft top models).

I took the entire arm off my TJ about a week after buying it, because I didn't like it blocking viz, and thought it was too "mini van" for a Jeep.
Sponsored

Last edited: