Sponsored

Wardrobe malfunction exposes JL Wrangler rear

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
The bumper "reflectors" look like possible European rear fog lights.
Yeah, that's a typical Euro rear-end.

And I think that's why there's the different rear/turning split cluster in the tail-light, because it's required for the export market, and likely this is a full export configuration.

Whereas the N.American one gets the previously seen tiallight in the ripped camo above with a more stylized look.

The weird thing is that the amber seems to be on the inside which seem counter intuitive since you'd want it visible from the sides too, whereas the backup lights need less visibility from the side, but still have some if there were centre from the other side of the inside light.
Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The rear glass comes out wider, and the tailgate looks taller than the JK.

JLglass.JPG

Wider glass = thinner pillar = smaller blind spot.

What I find interesting here is the horizontal styling line just above the handle. And the lack of any parting line where the top should meet the body.

JKglass.JPG

HeisenbergFX4

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 4XE 2021 Infinity QX80
I know Ford has a LED lighting package for the Super Duty and standard trucks don't get it, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Sport gets non-led lights as a base.
The F150 starting with the Lariat also has an LED option that includes LED headlights and Tail lights.

Laredo1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1985 Jeep CJ-7 Laredo, 2011 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sport
Occupation
Industrial Electrician
I dunno. My thought is that this JL is maybe a test mule for the Euro model, or at least a test mule for certain Euro model features. For example, the reflectors in the rear bumper.(though the reflectors may actually be on the U.S. based models since D.O.T. regs grow tighter each year). My main cause for belief is the tail light. Seems odd that you have the main red area of the housing which is obviously brake light and running lamps. But, below it, there is a split in the reverse light; it is split in half. The left side appears to be the standard reverse indicator while the right side of it appears to be slightly amber-colored, indicating this to be a turn signal? I would guess this to be a Euro feature- not a U.S. based feature. Seems too ugly to be sold in the States. Just my honest opinion...

JLglass.JPG

myfirstjeep

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
empty
I dunno. My thought is that this JL is maybe a test mule for the Euro model, or at least a test mule for certain Euro model features. For example, the reflectors in the rear bumper.(though the reflectors may actually be on the U.S. based models since D.O.T. regs grow tighter each year). My main cause for belief is the tail light. Seems odd that you have the main red area of the housing which is obviously brake light and running lamps. But, below it, there is a split in the reverse light; it is split in half. The left side appears to be the standard reverse indicator while the right side of it appears to be slightly amber-colored, indicating this to be a turn signal? I would guess this to be a Euro feature- not a U.S. based feature. Seems too ugly to be sold in the States. Just my honest opinion...
JLglass.JPG
Lol, here in America, we are a beautiful people.

I think it's possible some lower trim models will have that amber/reverse split. Seeing as the JK has a full reverse white strip under the taillight, splitting it for amber wouldn't be too drastic if they kept it to the lower trims.

Sponsored

Nitzer51

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jk
Has anyone else noticed that on the 6th photo down the roof lip extends over the back windows as well. It also does not look like there is a gap at the bottom of the rear side windows like the current JK. It has me worried that the top pieces are coming off but not the side pieces like on the TJ or JK's... tell me I'm wrong... please! lol

Here we go, the first up close look at the exposed rear of the JL Wrangler. This two-door JL prototype began driving with its rear camouflage already damaged, which began to unzip as it drove. So what do we see?
  • Rear window size remains approximately the same
  • Smaller window hinges which do not extend onto the roof
  • Different mounting point for the rear wiper
  • Lower positioned tail lights with standard incandescent bulbs (unlike the LED tail lights recently revealed)
  • Pull-action tailgate handle (matching the handles on the side doors)
  • Bumper reflectors
  • Third brake light remains mounted on spare tire carrier

(Click images for higher resolution)

jl-wrangler-rear4.jpg
jl-wrangler-rear1.jpg
jl-wrangler-rear5.jpg
jl-wrangler-rear2.jpg
jl-wrangler-rear3.jpg
jl-wrangler-rear6.jpg

One rear design that can't be seen here is the angle and flatness of the backside. These previous side shots of an exposed rear shows that it has slightly more rake and is much flatter than the current JK.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wardrobe malfunction exposes JL Wrangler rear {filename}

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
Has anyone else noticed that on the 6th photo down the roof lip extends over the back windows as well.
This has been discussed quite a bit in these hallowed halls. Some think it's simply to add rack mounts, others (myself included) think it's because the side windows will be removable.

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
Has anyone else noticed that on the 6th photo down the roof lip extends over the back windows as well. It also does not look like there is a gap at the bottom of the rear side windows like the current JK. It has me worried that the top pieces are coming off but not the side pieces like on the TJ or JK's... tell me I'm wrong... please! lol
You're wrong! Feel better? haha

Nitzer51

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler jk
Hahaha! Thanks @digitalbliss !

@Billy I hope you're wrong.... aint nobody want no c/d pillars sticking up... but the fact that the rear window hinges do not extend into the roof lends itself to just the top and windows coming off... fugly

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase

MockBarbecue82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeeps
It also does not look like there is a gap at the bottom of the rear side windows like the current JK. It has me worried that the top pieces are coming off but not the side pieces like on the TJ or JK's... tell me I'm wrong... please! lol
I imagine that the body wrap is pulled taut there when it's being applied. So there could be a seam there, we just can't see it.

MotorMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
jeep
Here's a more revealing pic of the rear. Tire/wheel exposed along with brake light.

Jeep Wrangler JL Wardrobe malfunction exposes JL Wrangler rear {filename}

Reactions: JAY

JL's JL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Future 2018 JL
Slimmed down third brake light.
Sponsored