Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Here we go, the first up close look at the exposed rear of the JL Wrangler. This two-door JL prototype began driving with its rear camouflage already damaged, which began to unzip as it drove. So what do we see?
  • Rear window size remains approximately the same
  • Smaller window hinges which do not extend onto the roof
  • Different mounting point for the rear wiper
  • Lower positioned tail lights with standard incandescent bulbs (unlike the LED tail lights recently revealed)
  • Pull-action tailgate handle (matching the handles on the side doors)
  • Bumper reflectors
  • Third brake light remains mounted on spare tire carrier
  • Per the FCA dealer meeting, the spare tire will be mounted 3-4 inches lower to improve rear visibility.

(Click images for higher resolution)

jl-wrangler-rear4.jpg
jl-wrangler-rear1.jpg

img_4771a-jpg.jpg

jl-wrangler-rear5.jpg
jl-wrangler-rear2.jpg
jl-wrangler-rear3.jpg
jl-wrangler-rear6.jpg

One rear design that can't be seen here is the angle and flatness of the backside. These previous side shots of an exposed rear shows that it has slightly more rake and is much flatter than the current JK.

2018-jeep-wrangler-rear-png.png
Sponsored

Last edited:

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
The bumper "reflectors" look like possible European rear fog lights.

Last edited:

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
No LED rear lights makes me wonder if these are the standard lights and the LEDs in the other thread are part of a lighting package.

Alvin R

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cherokee
No LED rear lights makes me wonder if these are the standard lights and the LEDs in the other thread are part of a lighting package.
Maybe they're part of the camo? The LEDs we saw were flush with the body and I doubt they'd make an entirely different (and bulky looking) housing for the non LED option

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe they're part of the camo? The LEDs we saw were flush with the body and I doubt they'd make an entirely different (and bulky looking) housing for the non LED option
Not flush as they extend out past the hinges:

Jeep Wrangler JL Wardrobe malfunction exposes JL Wrangler rear {filename}

I know Ford has a LED lighting package for the Super Duty and standard trucks don't get it, so it wouldn't surprise me if the Sport gets non-led lights as a base.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Continuing to see them running these mules with various brands and models of tire, which is nice. These particular ones are true HT tires which are almost certainly going to be used on lower trim levels for fuel economy.

It's painted silver underneath. Does that mean Billet Silver stays as a 2018 color? Maybe, maybe not. But I love that color.

That engine compartment is so L O N G and it makes the entire vehicle very disproportional. I was hoping that they'd go back toward a TJ look in terms of how proportional the vehicle body is, but it looks like they're going the opposite direction instead. :(

CorpCow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram 1500 Quad Cab
The exposed LED lights we saw were on the 4 door JLU. Maybe 2 door JL has different non-flush tail lights? But I'd be surprised if the two didn't share tail lights.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
This camo'd JL might be devoted to testing areas like powertrain, suspension, interior, ect, so it might have more JK parts on the exterior. Not all test mules have the same parts, and this could still be an early JL prototype from 8 months ago.

N.Stark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
04 TJ
This camo'd JL might be devoted to testing areas like powertrain, suspension, interior, ect, so it might have more JK parts on the exterior. Not all test mules have the same parts, and this could still be an early JL prototype from 8 months ago.
But we're within 4 months of launch so doubt they're still testing on early prototypes.

Bearded_Dragon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mojito! Rubicon
But we're within 4 months of launch so doubt they're still testing on early prototypes.
Ok so maybe this is a two week old prototype and the LED JL we saw as a week old. You get what I'm saying.

Sponsored

Billy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1997 TJ, 2022 JTRD
Vehicle Showcase
This mule could also be one of the long term / high mileage testers.

Or there may be different lighting packages...

Sport11

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JK
That engine compartment is so L O N G and it makes the entire vehicle very disproportional. I was hoping that they'd go back toward a TJ look in terms of how proportional the vehicle body is, but it looks like they're going the opposite direction instead. :(
The longer hood isn't a styling decision so much as a necessity due to the new 8 speed auto. And the new larger front bumper is to help the JL meet crash test standards worldwide. But yea the longer front end does look more proportional on the JLU 4 door.

Fizzydg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeeps
The exposed LED lights we saw were on the 4 door JLU. Maybe 2 door JL has different non-flush tail lights? But I'd be surprised if the two didn't share tail lights.
If that were to happen the price difference would be even greater between 2 and 4 door. I bet this is the base Sport JL we're looking at, the price leader with no LEDs

opsfox21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Unlimited Rubicon, 2023 WL Overland
The bumper "reflectors" look like possible European rear fog lights.
I think you might be right. This could be an export model, which could explain the lack of LED taillights and that the usual license plate mount is missing.

Of course the domestic JL could still retain the reflectors, LEDs could be optional, and maybe they just haven't bothered to install the license plate mount on this particular one, or it has be relocated on all of them.

Each piece of this vehicle that we see just leads to more questions...

Lee H Greidanus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Former jk owner
Occupation
Mail carrier
It looks like the lower light is split could be amber like in Europe
Sponsored