Sponsored

Wanting to get my first wrangler, a few questions.

awdxtc

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crosstrek
I started shopping for a wrangler a few weeks ago. As everyone knows the stock on the lots is nill. The only ones i can find are over 50k which i cant afford or one thats very local that is bare bones. I dont know if i can do no power locks, windows wouldn't bother me but im not sure about windows. What are your thoughts on it? Should i talk to a dealer about just ordering one? Also the timeless debate hard or soft top. Not sure how id like no rear defrost or rear wiper. Im going to lease it so im not stuck with it forever. What are your thoughts about a soft top in the winter with regards to no rear defrost, i just picture scratching the hell out of the plastic windows cleaning the snow off of them. Am i over thinking this?
Sponsored

Jared1956

First Name
Jared
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Rubicon 1964 CJ3B 1967 CJ5
I have owned 6 Wranglers over the past 21 years, here are my recommendations:

1. Always order what you want.

2. Soft tops are fine in the winter, I've had mine down to 0 degrees and it was just fine. There is a YouTube video that shows the soft top was warmer than a full hard top. Because they are thin, they defrost quickly and there is no need to scrape. Just start the Jeep and in a few minutes it will be clear. The lack of a rear wiper is an issue if you drive a lot in the salted roads in the winter, but I just learn to use my side mirrors, it is really a non-issue. If you scratch the windows up, and you will no matter what you try, you can always replace them. They run a couple hundred bucks each now on the JL. Not cheap, but if you are OCD then it will solve that problem for you.

3. Hard tops are worthless unless security is a concern. Do not underestimate the pain in the ass that is removing a hardtop. On top of that you have to store it somewhere, and you do not have a sunshade at that point with no top. Trust me when I say in the summertime you NEED some type of shade or you'll absolutely cook. What I generally do is remove the windows and doors and leave the top in the "up" position to act as a shade. Then in the evenings, I lower the stop all the way and enjoy the full sky view. If you are not going to run with the top off of your Jeep for most of the summer, then I would strongly urge you to buy something else. A Jeep that never has the top off is about as useless as a Ferrari on a off-road trail.

4. Don't lease. Wrangler has the best resale value in the business. The only way you'd be stuck with it is if you wrecked it, while smoking, and transporting a load of live poultry inside of the vehicle.

5. Don't settle. You can save thousands by staying away from a hard top and an automatic transmission. You can save a few thousand more by going with a two door. Don't let anyone tell you that two doors aren't practical. I've never owned anything buy two doors and I have two kids, 3 and 5 years old. You can make them work, and you will be so much cooler while doing so. For example my 2021 Rubicon cost just under 40k out the door last October. You can get one reasonably priced if you watch the options.

VWillys

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Willys - Bright White

2. Soft tops are fine in the winter, I've had mine down to 0 degrees and it was just fine. There is a YouTube video that shows the soft top was warmer than a full hard top. Because they are thin, they defrost quickly and there is no need to scrape. Just start the Jeep and in a few minutes it will be clear. The lack of a rear wiper is an issue if you drive a lot in the salted roads in the winter, but I just learn to use my side mirrors, it is really a non-issue. If you scratch the windows up, and you will no matter what you try, you can always replace them. They run a couple hundred bucks each now on the JL. Not cheap, but if you are OCD then it will solve that problem for you.

3. Hard tops are worthless unless security is a concern. Do not underestimate the pain in the ass that is removing a hardtop. On top of that you have to store it somewhere, and you do not have a sunshade at that point with no top. Trust me when I say in the summertime you NEED some type of shade or you'll absolutely cook. What I generally do is remove the windows and doors and leave the top in the "up" position to act as a shade. Then in the evenings, I lower the stop all the way and enjoy the full sky view. If you are not going to run with the top off of your Jeep for most of the summer, then I would strongly urge you to buy something else. A Jeep that never has the top off is about as useless as a Ferrari on a off-road trail.

4. Don't lease. Wrangler has the best resale value in the business. The only way you'd be stuck with it is if you wrecked it, while smoking, and transporting a load of live poultry inside of the vehicle.

5. Don't settle. You can save thousands by staying away from a hard top and an automatic transmission. You can save a few thousand more by going with a two door. Don't let anyone tell you that two doors aren't practical. I've never owned anything buy two doors and I have two kids, 3 and 5 years old. You can make them work, and you will be so much cooler while doing so. For example my 2021 Rubicon cost just under 40k out the door last October. You can get one reasonably priced if you watch the options.
Iā€˜ve owned soft tops, hard tops, 2 drs, 4 drs, auto, manual and completely agree with all of thisā€¦very well stated!

My preference is 2 door, soft top, manual but I have auto at the moment.

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
I pretty much agree with the soft top on the Wrangler over the hard top. My last Willys 2dr I ordered with the Premium Soft Top, so much better top all the way around then the factory stock soft top. The heavier material, fit, and look is very nice and you don't get those wrinkles in the material that are in the stock factory top. My Wrangler is always keep inside so the top can stay down just about all year here in Texas if I choose to leave it down. I find the top is equally comfortable in summer and winter and from others I have ridden in there is not much difference in the comfort level, if any. Mine is not a daily driver, so my use is different then others may use theirs, so what works for one may not work for another. My 2017 I had the military look in Gobe, my new will have the Islander look in a bright colors like Bikini Pearl, or Nacho, I hope those colors return for 2022.
Jeep Wrangler JL Wanting to get my first wrangler, a few questions. DSCN3359.JPG
Jeep Wrangler JL Wanting to get my first wrangler, a few questions. DSCN3360.JPG

Sidspider

First Name
Ted
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1986 CJ7, 2021 JLU Willys
Iā€™ve had both hard and soft tops, Iā€™m in the northeast and the wiper and defrost are nice to have, but I didnā€™t feel like flipping tops around anymore, so my JLU is soft top only.
My JKU was a Sport with a hard top and I was perfectly happy without power windows and locks until I had kids.Fumbling for keys while holding a fussy 2 year old isnā€™t much fun, and they love to play with the windows, so the power window lock-out switch is handy. Depending on your family situation, you might want to keep that in mind.
With the soft top I rarely lock the doors, but on those rare occasions where I do lock it, I always yank the handle like it will open and then remember I locked it, need to dig out my keys and wish I had sprung for the proximity locksā€¦

Sponsored

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
I agree with the first post. Keep your rig simple and it will.save $$$. I just ordered a 2021 2 Dr v6 manual Rubicon for like 41k....only add ons were a premium soft top($595) and mopar grab handles and door sills ($150)....that's it. I did want the tow package but they said I had to buy keyless entry too....yeah no thanx pal

dgoodhue

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 80th JLU
I would order it. Look in this section on how to get the best deals. Build one on the website (though isn't completely up to date) or use the order guide in the stickies above to get an idea of what the MSRP will be.

Personally I would at least get the hardtop. (I have the dual tops) You can not scrap the soft top window or you will scratch them, so you will have to wait for the your jeep to fully warm up to defrost them. I read that the soft windows get stiff in colder temperatures. I often leave the rear window attached unless I have to so I have to load everything under the rear window when putting item in the trunk.

Wranglers aren't cheap, The basic Northeast car 4 door Sport S, Automatic, Hardtop and heated seats is a little under $45k MSRP.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU
I went back and forth searching for the perfect build and it wasn't out there anywhere. Found this forum and the build sheet tools and all the info and decided to order mine through a dealer instead. I put together an order with exactly everything I wanted and nothing I didn't. There's more options available to configure exactly what you want with a dealer order than there is with the Jeep build and price tool. I ordered up a sport altitude auto 4dr in sting gray with a few bells and whistles. I wanted the sport altitude cause of the looks with the dark grey accents and it came with the hard top and hard top liners. Hard top is a must for me living in South Dakota with how winters can be.

MonLee

First Name
Stan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Door Sport S

Or you can do what i just did and order a 45,000$ sport s 2 door, i love options!

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
I personally feel like manual windows and locks is cool on a 2-door but i wouldnā€™t do it on a 4-door.

Sponsored

OP
OP

awdxtc

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crosstrek
I personally feel like manual windows and locks is cool on a 2-door but i wouldnā€™t do it on a 4-door.
The more i think about it, you might be right. Sadly i dont think you can get heated seats or the garage door opener package without stepoing up in trim. Im going to call guptons and koons next week with 2 different builds for pricing and see what i can work out. I have heard these places can get you some prettt damn good prices. Maybe ill be able to afford a basic Rubicon šŸ¤”

cmcclintock

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon JL
I have a hard top and love it. However, I am in California and have a garage with a simple hoist installed in the ceiling.

hard top comes off beginning of April every year(takes 20 minutes) and it does not go back on until end of October(another 20 minutes)

7 months hard top off with a sunshadeā€¦sweet
5 months hard top on- it is really nice in the winter snow wheeling

Get what you want and what works best for you. Try not to lease a Jeep like others said.. try to buy.

8A21CBAC-29CF-4F87-B5D5-596C9105678F.jpeg

OP
OP

awdxtc

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crosstrek
I live in Pennsylvania and the weather changes daily. The winters here are pretty terrible. We got 11 inches of snow on mothers day. I think a soft top would be fine but then i think the freedom pannels on a hard top might satisfy 90% of the open air craving. I suppose i could get both tops. I dont have kids so im not worried about any of those issues

VWillys

First Name
Vince
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JL Wrangler Willys - Bright White
Do you have a garage? I live in PA and when I had my 4 dr JKU with a hard top the freedom panels did not scratch the itch. So I bought a soft top with plans to store the hard top in my garage over spring summer then put it back on for fall winter. When the hard top came off the first time, it never went on again. Just had no need for itā€¦other than security which is not an issue for meā€¦the soft top did everything I needed year round.

OP
OP

awdxtc

First Name
Dan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 crosstrek
I do have a garage. Did you have any issues in the winter with the soft top, not talking about it being colder than the hard top
Sponsored