Wanted the tow package on new rubi but was forced to get keyless entry

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
This is what happens when accounts are running the show.
As an accountant I resent this.
Just kidding, but on a more serious note I wonder if the supply shortages are giving the bean counters leverage to dictate what does and what doesn’t get produced. Are they trying to stick to high-margin options? If so, I imagine things will return to normal once the supply chain gets fat again.
Sponsored

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
As an accountant I resent this.
Just kidding, but on a more serious note I wonder if the supply shortages are giving the bean counters leverage to dictate what does and what doesn’t get produced. Are they trying to stick to high-margin options? If so, I imagine things will return to normal once the supply chain gets fat again.
I was thinking that the shortages are driving the decision to couple less desirable (and better margin) options, like proximity, with more desirable options like tow pkg.

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler JL Rubicon
The JL is absolutely not an old school vehicle. Reducing complexity by refusing proximity entry with the tow package is just removing a drop from the bucket. A rather useful drop, I might add. It's a lot more than a trailer hitch. It's a beefed up alternator, beefier rear suspension, aux switches and wires under the hood and in the cabin.

I found the tow package a must-have and I don't plan on towing anything. It was everything else that comes with it. The trailer hitch was just a bonus.

Wbino

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Wrangler JL H.A. -- 1999 SLK 230
Occupation
Retired
When spending this kind of cash it's kind of ridiculous to chop off any options IMHO,
and keys are/will go the way of the Dodo so just get on the train now.......

Jeepney Johnny

First Name
Rico!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah, me too, along with @Reinen, I didn't plan on towing anything, but ended up getting it because it was already on the Wrangler on the lot (that I bought).

Now, I appreciate the package; It was so easy to add extra lighting. I even added new DRL lighting, so every time I drive, I get the benefits of the package. $1500 seems like a premium, but for what you get, and the hassle avoided installing wiring for switches, totally worth it!

Sponsored

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yeah, me too, along with @Reinen, I didn't plan on towing anything, but ended up getting it because it was already on the Wrangler on the lot (that I bought).

Now, I appreciate the package; It was so easy to add extra lighting. I even added new DRL lighting, so every time I drive, I get the benefits of the package. $1500 seems like a premium, but for what you get, and the hassle avoided installing wiring for switches, totally worth it!
For me it was more than just the Aux switches (which are hella convenient).
  • The beefier alternator is useful when you run a fridge. I will tax the electrical system similar to powering a trailer.
  • I'm an overlander and I will load up the Jeep. Similar to needing the beefier rear suspension to carry the tongue weight of a trailer.
  • I use the trailer power connection as a convenient 12v outlet. Mainly to power a portable compressor. I don't like sitting on the side of the road with my hood open (like I'm broken down) just because I'm airing back up. I think it's an embarrassing look. I'm sure I'll find something else I'd want to plug in there as well.
So literally everything about the tow package is very useful to me, except for the tow hitch. Which might come in handy someday, who knows.

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
I didn’t get the tow package and installed it my self. Really easy if you want to install it your self. Did all of the mopar parts and I use the curt trailer and I already had the bigger alternator and I installed a different switch panel. I’d say you’re okay. I did the whole install within 2 hours including breaks

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Pretty bummed I was told by 2 different dealers in my state that if I wanted the tow package, I had to include keyless entry/proximity. I am old school and wanted a pretty bare bones/stock Rubicon special order from factory. Ultimately I said no and turned it down because I simply don't need or want keyless entry. Basically I would have been paying $1500 for a tow package??.....yeah ummm no thanx. Ordered without .....maybe aftermarket like Uhaul is my best alternative. Anybody else forced to get crap on their jeep they didn't want?....I thought the idea of a special order was where you put a deposit and patiently wait for your jeep to arrive exactly as you wanted its hence the term "special order"... Seems like a money grab from the factory....either way Im still excited to take ownership of my new rubi!
People have offered sensible opinions (based on fact) above, specific to their own needs--but I might ask what your intentions are for the tow hitch @Cowboy from hell?

And the reason for asking you to detail your "use case" is that there are--as you likely know--all different types of hitch users.

There's guys like me who occasionally use the hitch for non-wheeled devices, from bicycle and luggage carriers to relatively light weight items on wheeled trailed beds that have directional signal connections, but no (need for) brakes.

If this is your need, sure, Uhaul, or etrailer, etc. can get you a perfectly good hitch and 4 pin wire connector, and I'd suggest that the Stellantis tow package would be overkill for you.

But if you're hauling items with their own brakes, the Mopar tow wiring (and Type II hitch) is a must. You can buy the parts after sale, and there are excellent videos online showing how to install this--which is somewhat involved given the number of trim pieces that you need to temporarily remove to snake the wires from the hood, through the cabin, and into the rear.

(I had read somewhere that the trailer wire harness kit has been changed since 2018 to allow the snaking of wires below the rig to ease installation. If anyone has 411 on this please chime in.)

And of course, as mentioned, the towing kit comes with the switches, and a beefier alternator battery.

If its any consolation, both products can be installed after market--the proximity locks though with some notable exceptions. There are excellent writeups here on how to add proximity locks after sale.

And I agree with those above that for all the old school that anyone could be, that door unlocking under proximity locks, when you reach to pull the handle with an hand that is also holding some heavy object (along with the other hand)--and who of us doesn't haul some gear--is mighty handy.

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
I didn’t get the tow package and installed it my self. Really easy if you want to install it your self. Did all of the mopar parts and I use the curt trailer and I already had the bigger alternator and I installed a different switch panel. I’d say you’re okay. I did the whole install within 2 hours including breaks
Two hours is incredible. Do you mind sharing the process? Did you take apart the dash to get the switches mounted? Also, how did you run the trailer light wiring? Asking for a friend.

Gee-pah

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler
Two hours is incredible. Do you mind sharing the process? Did you take apart the dash to get the switches mounted? Also, how did you run the trailer light wiring? Asking for a friend.
Hi Jason:

There's some really good Youtube content on this. Here's an example for the tow wiring, if not the switch installation guidance you also seek.

Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Just a reminder that, if you're getting eTorque, you don't get a bigger alternator with the Tow Package because there is no alternator with eTorque.

traxtion

First Name
Tommy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2 Door Manual Rubicon
Every time I drive my girlfriend's car I remember why keyless entry is a game changer. Assuming you're a guy, you're probably like every man out there that likes to grab everything in one trip. With the keyless entry, no need to fish anything out of your pocket. It just opens. Over the life of the vehicle, it's money very well spent, I promise.

Sargeoverland

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 jlu
So to start I have the rough country 6 switch panel that replaced the little cubby. You take out the radio and plug in the plugs and push everything back in pushed the wire though the little port on the fire wall and it was all done just wired up the box to the battery.
the trailer harness is all plug and play from mopar. No cutting wires. You plug it into your tail lights and wire it to your battery. It says to remove your fenders but if you can reach your frame rails you’re doing the same thing they want you to do. Hardest part was getting all 7 pins in the correct spot

Killed by Death

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Sarge Green 2021 Rubicon 2 Door

Reinen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Very interesting, is there a write up on this somewhere?
Picture?
What sockets or plug you use?

Will something like this work?

https://www.amazon.com/Reese-Towpow...49MVDZG/ref=pd_lpo_3?pd_rd_i=B0049MVDZG&psc=1
That wouldn't work. The 4 pin plug doesn't supply enough amps for the compressor. You need to get a replacement 7 pin trailer plug and connect the compressor to the 30A leads (which don't exist in the 4 pin).

It's discussed in this thread.
https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/forum/threads/air-compressor-options.66259/
Sponsored