Sponsored

Wanted the tow package on new rubi but was forced to get keyless entry

Cowboy from hell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 2 Dr Rubicon hydro pearl 6 speed
Pretty bummed I was told by 2 different dealers in my state that if I wanted the tow package, I had to include keyless entry/proximity. I am old school and wanted a pretty bare bones/stock Rubicon special order from factory. Ultimately I said no and turned it down because I simply don't need or want keyless entry. Basically I would have been paying $1500 for a tow package??.....yeah ummm no thanx. Ordered without .....maybe aftermarket like Uhaul is my best alternative. Anybody else forced to get crap on their jeep they didn't want?....I thought the idea of a special order was where you put a deposit and patiently wait for your jeep to arrive exactly as you wanted its hence the term "special order"... Seems like a money grab from the factory....either way Im still excited to take ownership of my new rubi!
Sponsored

LongTimeListener

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JKURHR
Proximity is better than you might think on a JL. As we all know, the key fob is clown-shoe large. It’s actually large enough that pulling it out to lock/unlock is a bit of a performance if you’re like most guys and keep your keys in your front pocket.

Now you’re probably saying I’m being ridiculous and what kind of “first world problem” is this guy talking about?

You’ll see.

(And for the record, I find the forced pairing of Tow/Prox to be as ridiculous as you do.)

Walker Texas Wrangler

First Name
Kelly
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.hamburgsolutions.com
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLU Rubicon, Previous: '99 TJ Sahara
Build Thread
Link
I'll echo the post above me. Having them paired together is pretty dumb. The tow package is one of the few options I didn't get. Kinda wish I did. I did get the Proximity and I have to say, it's actually pretty awesome. I like not having to pull out the big fob.

displayname

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
Pretty bummed I was told by 2 different dealers in my state that if I wanted the tow package, I had to include keyless entry/proximity. I am old school and wanted a pretty bare bones/stock Rubicon special order from factory. Ultimately I said no and turned it down because I simply don't need or want keyless entry. Basically I would have been paying $1500 for a tow package??.....yeah ummm no thanx. Ordered without .....maybe aftermarket like Uhaul is my best alternative. Anybody else forced to get crap on their jeep they didn't want?....I thought the idea of a special order was where you put a deposit and patiently wait for your jeep to arrive exactly as you wanted its hence the term "special order"... Seems like a money grab from the factory....either way Im still excited to take ownership of my new rubi!
The tow package is a lot more than a tow hitch, but pairing with the prox lock is annoying.

Personally, I'd still want it for the beefed up alternator and battery with the tow package. Getting that stuff + a hitch installed would probably be close to a grand anyway.

TrailTorque

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU
Vehicle Showcase
I didn’t get the PKG with mine but I can assure you that with my next one it will have it. Installing those AUX switches alone was worth $1,500 to me lol I’ll never do it again.

Sponsored

asm1125

First Name
Alicia
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JL Wrangler Rubicon
I have a JLR on order with the tow package and didn't have to get the keyless/prox entry. I think I was forced into the hard top headliner though...

jlang

First Name
JDawg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL Punk'D Rubicon
Occupation
Semi-Retired
I didn’t get the PKG with mine but I can assure you that with my next one it will have it. Installing those AUX switches alone was worth $1,500 to me lol I’ll never do it again.
This ^^ . Wiring lights is so simple with the Aux switches included in Tow package. The Prox sensor is something you dont know you are missing until you dont have it.

Mikester86

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JLR
My Rubi has tow package and no keyless entry/proximity, my wife's Cherokee Trailhawk has keyless entry/proximity and whenever using her car I have to comment on how nice it is.

Yes, first world problem having to remove the brick from one's pocket to unlock the door, but man the keyless prox is a nice feature.

galleywinter

First Name
Tod
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Hard Rock JKU, 2018 JL Rubi, 2020 Mercedes GLC 300(Wife) :-)
Occupation
Environmental Manager, VA Hospital
I pull a small travel trailer and use trailer brakes. Had to go factory tow. Had prox on my first JL and didn't really use it. Stay topless 7 months out of the year and park in my garage at home. It doesn't get locked much but when I ordered the dealer said prox was required. Whatever...... But I do agree. Not sure how they tie tow and prox. together.

BrntWS6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUS, 2002 WS6
You can get the Curt hitch with wiring harness for $160 on amazon. It can now be run under the jeep so DIY is a breeze.

Sponsored

JSFoster75

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR (Mojito), 2022 JLR (Tuscadero)
Vehicle Showcase

I have a trailer hitch with wiring I'll sell you for $120 shipped... :)

https://www.jlwranglerforums.com/fo...ch-with-4-pin-wiring-harness-will-ship.75184/

Trainman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Jeep Willys 2dr
I buy all me hitches and wiring harness for Jeeps at etrailer, excellent people to deal with, if you are unsure what to get, call them a speak to a rep. I do know what you mean by ordering an option and forced to take other option just to get what you want. I wanted to upgrade tires $195 Option on a Sport model and had to order the Anti-Spin Rear Axle Option $595 and the upgrade Aluminum Wheels $995, in other words, $1600 just to spend $195. Jeep is good about this, in some cases it less expensive to go to another model that has the option you want and get more for less.

Some Random Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 JL Sport, 2022 Ford Mustang
Occupation
Comptroller
The Rubicon is not exactly a “dumb” mechanical Jeep. Are you in it for the T-Case? That’s the only thing that might keep me from a Sport-S in the future. We’re talking one more electrical system amongst dozens for proximity entry.
Just unplug the door if it bothers you? I think you only lose the mirror adjustment unless you have a safety system.

BullMoose1776

First Name
Bull
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Project Manager
I ordered in 19 and the tow package was a stand alone thing. They are doing some weird packages of stuff right now.

This is what happens when accounts are running the show.
Sponsored