Sponsored

Want to replace JKU Sahara with another. Will full time 4wd be optional?

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
While I love my JKU Sahara and would like to replace it, I'm not a fan of full time 4WD, especially here in the desert where snow, ice, and mud are uncommon. Does anyone know if the full time 4WD on the JLU will be mandatory or optional?
Sponsored

digitalbliss

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR, 1979 CJ7
While I love my JKU Sahara and would like to replace it, I'm not a fan of full time 4WD, especially here in the desert where snow, ice, and mud are uncommon. Does anyone know if the full time 4WD on the JLU will be mandatory or optional?
Pretty sure it will be an option.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
You understand that it's still got a transfer case shifter, right?

Selec-Trac in the Sahara would still offer the usual 2Hi , PartTime 4Hi & 4Lo , and then the addition of FullTime 4WD. So if you don't use FT, then just shift to the 3 other options you've always had.

JAY

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Admin
Vehicle Showcase
Clubs

Selec-Trac will definitely be optional and not standard. The question of whether it will be "mandatory" full time 4WD is answered above. Here is the latest info we have on the various 4WD systems:
  • Sport and Sahara will get Command-Trac as standard
  • Sahara will get 2.72:1 Selec-Trac as an option
  • Rubicon will get Rock-Trac

Sponsored

OP
OP
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You understand that it's still got a transfer case shifter, right?

Selec-Trac in the Sahara would still offer the usual 2Hi , PartTime 4Hi & 4Lo , and then the addition of FullTime 4WD. So if you don't use FT, then just shift to the 3 other options you've always had.
Thanks so much. The way I had originally read it, I was assuming it was permanent 4WD. What province are you in? My wife and I are "Canadaphiles" and frequently visit Vancouver in the west and Quebec City in the east. Used to drive to Calgary to take the kids to the zoo as Montana was pretty dead. Worked with RCAF officers stationed in Montana years ago. Thanks.

OP
OP
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Selec-Trac will definitely be optional and not standard. The question of whether it will be "mandatory" full time 4WD is answered above. Here is the latest info we have on the various 4WD systems:
  • Sport and Sahara will get Command-Trac as standard
  • Sahara will get 2.72:1 Selec-Trac as an option
  • Rubicon will get Rock-Trac
Thank you. I feel better knowing it is likely to be optional. It does seem, however, that if it were mandatory, I could use 2WD for most of my driving. Very helpful forum. Thanks again.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
You're welcome of course. Just sharing info.

In Cowtown / Calgary now. Born in Ottawa, grew up in Toronto, University in Montreal.

Just did a coast to coast trip for Canada's 150th birthday.

Go down to Vegas every year or so for CES. Usually start that trip in Tahoe to ski, and then go through Utah or Colorado for more skiing then Vegas and maybe Arizona or the coast and back to Reno and out.

Both our countries have a lot to offer-up for exploration in a Wrangler, which is Great !! :rock:

Here's some more info for you on the previous Selec-Trac / NV242;

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/154-1201-jp-guide-to-jeep-transfer-cases/

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...2-hd-np242-transfer-case-build-super-duty-np/

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...grand-cherokee-zj-np242-hd-sye-transfer-case/

OP
OP
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You're welcome of course. Just sharing info.

In Cowtown / Calgary now. Born in Ottawa, grew up in Toronto, University in Montreal.

Just did a coast to coast trip for Canada's 150th birthday.

Go down to Vegas every year or so for CES. Usually start that trip in Tahoe to ski, and then go through Utah or Colorado for more skiing then Vegas and maybe Arizona or the coast and back to Reno and out.

Both our countries have a lot to offer-up for exploration in a Wrangler, which is Great !! :rock:

Here's some more info for you on the previous Selec-Trac / NV242;

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/transmission-drivetrain/154-1201-jp-guide-to-jeep-transfer-cases/

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...2-hd-np242-transfer-case-build-super-duty-np/

http://www.fourwheeler.com/how-to/t...grand-cherokee-zj-np242-hd-sye-transfer-case/
Thanks for the helpful, informative sites. Yes, there is a lot to see in a Jeep. My military base outside of Vegas (Nellis AFB), has a fair amount of Wranglers---not government, but private that many guys (and military women) like. Mine should be easy to sell when i want to get a new one. Funny, this week some of the guys on base were saying they wished we could have Justin Trudeau to run our country...like Rolling Stone mag. Anyway, thanks again for the good info.
Sponsored