Sponsored

Want to buy Jeep but just bought car last year!

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Toyota Camry
Bought a 2018 Camry last year as a semi impulse buy to upgrade from smaller sedan. Never considered a Jeep but somehow stumbled on it. Rented one a few weeks ago and now totally obsessed!!! If I buy one I will totally take a bath on this 28k MSRP Camry and will only get Max 18.2k on a trade in. Probably 2-3k in equity at least.
IF I can convince wife, should I just buy a Jeep and bite the bullet??? I am considering using penfed payment saver to keep costs low, and will be getting a promotion or two in the meantime.

Oh, just had a baby too!! Maybe I just need to wait a little but I can't stop thinking Jeep!!!
Sponsored

TJ2018

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk'n JLUR; 2020 Silverado Trail Boss
Vehicle Showcase
Bought a 2018 Camry last year as a semi impulse buy to upgrade from smaller sedan. Never considered a Jeep but somehow stumbled on it. Rented one a few weeks ago and now totally obsessed!!! If I buy one I will totally take a bath on this 28k MSRP Camry and will only get Max 18.2k on a trade in. Probably 2-3k in equity at least.
IF I can convince wife, should I just buy a Jeep and bite the bullet??? I am considering using penfed payment saver to keep costs low, and will be getting a promotion or two in the meantime.

Oh, just had a baby too!! Maybe I just need to wait a little but I can't stop thinking Jeep!!!
Well... coming in to a Jeep forum and asking that question. You do know folks who buy jeeps may already be mentally unstable, don't you? ;)

Jeeps are funny creatures... sometimes they bond with a driver and there's no going back. Others they don't make a connection and those folks are just unfortunate because they won't ever know the joy of driving a Jeep. However, no vehicle is worth putting yourself into financial bondage. But if you have the financial means do to so, just keep in mind:

651889b67414c0a002ed5d1eff5a43d7--words-jeep.jpg

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
Keep the Camry for what it was built for: as a commuter car.
Get the Jeep to live a little.

TXRubicon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 Firecracker Red JLUR, '23 Porsche Cayman GTS
Uh, priorities man. Use that extra $$ you'll spend in negative equity and spoil the kid first until its a bit older. Worry about the Wrangler later.

Sponsored

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic

I'll be the voice of reason here. Don't do it. You will take a loss. You need to wait two more years at least. Children are expensive and even though you may have things planned out on paper, when it comes to children multiply expensive by ten. Good luck! :)

morricus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Rubicon Unlimited, 2015 GMC Yukon XL, 2006 BMW M3
I'll be the voice of reason here. Don't do it. You will take a loss. You need to wait two more years at least. Children are expensive and even though you may have things planned out on paper, when it comes to children multiply expensive by ten. Good luck! :)
No truer words have been spoken. I have three kids, very much underestimated the costs. Totally worth it, but they're not cheap. If you have to ask a forum for advice on what to do, the answer should be clear. Wait on the Jeep, keep your Camry, enjoy your new human.

dsgrey

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLU
Vehicle Showcase
The last of my 3 kids are out of the house which has freed up money for the jeep and all the aftermarket toys. Kids are great but they change your priorities since they are an underestimated expense. I suspect your wife will be wanting another before you Camry is paid off too. She probably won't welcome the idea of a Jeep after a Camry last year. I laugh at my son who now drives the hand-me-down car, child #2 on the way and his wife has a $45k minivan.

2Wheel-Lee

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD, 1986 Suzuki Samurai, 1975 Datsun 620
We all have our reasons for our priorities, and mine may be different than most of yours. I lost my wife and mother of our boy and girl twins to cancer right after the twins turned 3. Since that time (they're now 7), I'll spend every dime I have to ensure the kids have a great and memorable childhood. There are no guarantees of how long I'll be around. I'm not worried about my retirement in 10 years (I'm confident that if I make it there, I'll be alright).

My kids are active BMXers, mountain bikers, desert moto riders, moto trials riders (learning), camping (tent and toyhauler), fishing (ocean and freshwater), lots of hiking, offroading in our modified Samurai and now I'm waiting for a diesel JL.

I might say that I mild anxieties that I still don't do enough, even though we're on the go most every weekend. For those with older kids, you know that you're lucky to still have their attention after they're 16. So I believe I pretty much only have 9 years to have the opportunity - maybe more if I'm lucky.

We only have so much time to enjoy our lives and even shorter with our kids. Make the best of every moment.

ZEN357

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Grand Cherokee SRT
Occupation
Auto Mechanic
I don't have any children of my own, but do have a step-son that I raised since he was 10 years old. He is no 18 and going to college thanks to his Father's G.I. Bill that he could pass down to his son. My Step-Son doesn't have a good relationship with his Father because of his Step-Mother (Monster). All I can say is I will be glad once he is out of the house so things aren't so darn expensive. It's not easy raising children!!!
Sponsored