Gesthail

First Name
Tina
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
want to buy
Hi guys

I am looking at buying a Wrangler (2007 to 2010 models) as a weekend toy and for delivery flowers Belarus.

I have a couple of questions

1) At what mileage do these cars start giving issues engine wise or electronic wise?

2) What are some known issues with the car and things to look out for with a higher mileage car? Ie gearbox issues, timing chains, cam belts, common leaks, issues with 4x4 etc?

5) What should I check in particular when looking at used ones?

6) What are they like off road?
Sponsored

Last edited:

ThirtyOne

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.jeepdoodles.com
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon, 2017 Chevy Tahoe
Build Thread
Link
Most people would say try and stretch to get a 2012 or later. That is when they switched to the 3.6 Pentastar and it is significantly better than the 3.8.

rubileon

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR RHD 3.6
Hi guys

I am looking at buying a Wrangler (2007 to 2010 models) as a weekend toy.

1) At what mileage do these cars start giving issues engine wise or electronic wise?

2) What are some known issues with the car and things to look out for with a higher mileage car? Ie gearbox issues, timing chains, cam belts, common leaks, issues with 4x4 etc?

Get something closer to 2011 if getting one with the 3.8 V6. Check to see how well the vehicle has been serviced, kept, etc. For a full list of issues, you should look in JK forums.

Most people would say try and stretch to get a 2012 or later. That is when they switched to the 3.6 Pentastar and it is significantly better than the 3.8.
I'd say go for a 2014 or newer in that case because the early ones had head gasket issues, sand in radiator from casting, etc.

Dkretden

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L
Hi guys

OP,

First, welcome to the forum. I am new to Jeeps and this forum is a terrific resource.

Second, you will quickly learn that if you are going to own a Jeep, it’s a “Jeep” — it’s never a “car“. It’s one of those “Jeep Things” that you will learn about. Oh and don’t forget to Wave once you get your Jeep.

Third, this board is dedicated to the JL (2018 - current). You are looking at a JK model. There are boards dedicated to JK’s and it would be a good idea to ask your Questions there. Lots of JL owners here have owned JKs and still might but there will be more robust info on the JK boards, I think.

Fourth, have fun. Once you buy a Jeep you are going to wonder why you didn’t buy one decades ago.

Last edited:

Richtor

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Fiesta ST
Correct me if I'm wrong....11 they went to the new interior(so much nicer) then in 12 they went to the 3.6 with more pawer and better mileage..

Sponsored

Strommen95

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 GMC Canyon
Hi guys

Do you know how to count? :)

I would recommend a 2012 + for a Daily Driver due to the 3.6(much better power than the 3.8 and improved interior.) However for a weekend toy the 07-10 JKs are fine. You obviously aren't buying it for the power or interior. You could even find an 07 or 08 Sport(X at the time) with 4.10 gears from the factory. I'd even argue the cheaper less nice Jeeps are better as a toy. It's easier to beat the shit out of the Jeep as they should be and not feel bad. You'll also get an 07-10 for cheaper than any 3.6 JK. Significantly cheaper with the right owner.

If you do buy a JK from those years make sure to check your dipstick often. The 3.8 is a reliable engine but is well known for burning oil. When looking at one I'd make sure to put it on a lift and check the frame out extensively.

ChrispyJL

First Name
chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Punk"N JLU Sport s
Occupation
Building Mechanic
Stay away from 07-10s.
Either drop it down to a TJ 98-06, or go up to 2012.
When looking, look for rust, leaks, undercarriage damage from off road.
Go through the transfer case if you test drive ( yes take it offroad)
If seller wont let you, then that's a no deal for me.
Test drive it for awhile, listen to it, smell it, become one with it
Maintenance records, anyone who loves their jeep and took care of it will have maintenance logs.
Mods, stay away from anything used that is modded IMO.

If looking at TJs, take off the oil fill cap, shite a black light in there, also if there is white jizz on the cap, it has a cracked head( more prone on later model XJs)

You can find a dime, but you will look at many piles of shit before you find it.
There is a silver TJ by my brother, garage kept, older guy, well maintained, damn close to perfect, never lifted, 74k miles, I want to buy it so bad, but his price is outrageous, wife probably wants him to sell it, so he is asking 13k lol...sorry honey it wont sell lol

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
As others have suggested, stay away from 07-11. I'm not sure I'd recommend a TJ but I would an LJ... otherwise 2012+.

guarnibl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'21 JLUR 392 XR, '21 JTR, '21 JLR, '09 JK
Stay away from 07-10s.
Either drop it down to a TJ 98-06, or go up to 2012.
When looking, look for rust, leaks, undercarriage damage from off road.
Go through the transfer case if you test drive ( yes take it offroad)
If seller wont let you, then that's a no deal for me.
Test drive it for awhile, listen to it, smell it, become one with it
Maintenance records, anyone who loves their jeep and took care of it will have maintenance logs.
Mods, stay away from anything used that is modded IMO.

If looking at TJs, take off the oil fill cap, shite a black light in there, also if there is white jizz on the cap, it has a cracked head( more prone on later model XJs)

You can find a dime, but you will look at many piles of shit before you find it.
There is a silver TJ by my brother, garage kept, older guy, well maintained, damn close to perfect, never lifted, 74k miles, I want to buy it so bad, but his price is outrageous, wife probably wants him to sell it, so he is asking 13k lol...sorry honey it wont sell lol
A mint TJ with 74k miles will likely sell at 13k. Here it would. Easy. Probably for more than that.
Sponsored