Sponsored

Want The Real Scoop On ESS (Engine Start/Stop)? Watch This Video!

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
I hated ESS before I watched this video. Now I really hate it! :D

Nice video man. I can't remember, but I think you can turn off that ESS with a tazer? If so, anyone around the Raleigh/Durham, NC Area want to let me pay them to turn mine off? :)

TLife

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 JKU WW
Nice video man. I can't remember, but I think you can turn off that ESS with a tazer? If so, anyone around the Raleigh/Durham, NC Area want to let me pay them to turn mine off? :)
Unfortunately the Tazer doesn't work quite like that, but you can try this:

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I will not be participating in this forum as of 8/31/2018. It's been a fun ride, but it's time to move on. Take care. - Dustin
Occupation
Unfortunately the Tazer doesn't work quite like that, but you can try this:

yea yea, but then i gotta deal with a dash notification :(

Jkohler

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 jl rubicon 2017 Jeep Grand Cherokee 2017 ram 3500
I've had my ESS disabled for months now by simply unplugging the green wire with black connector on the main battery on both my JL and Grand Cherokee. You do get a small light on above the fuel gauge. No big deal for me or the wife. As soon as the Flash cal or others has it working with there system it's fast to plug back the wire and your good to go.

Sponsored

The_Phew

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 GTI 6MT
ESS is so much easier to live with with a 6MT. Typically, it doesn't save fuel unless the car will be off for 5+ seconds, so with a 6MT, you just don't let out the clutch+shift to neutral unless you know you'll be stopped for more than five seconds (this is what most manual drivers do anyway at stoplights/etc).

Rhinebeck01

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 JL Rubi, '22 Prevost M H3-45,'01 Harley FatBoy
@JeepJL18

When a guy/gal has a TazerJL or other programmer it is married to their JL. So what you want is a no go.

Suggest you buy a TazerJL for $300 or buy a SmartStopStart programmer for $129/149 if you want ESS disabled and never any idiot light on the dash because you detached a cable...

I say go with the TazerJL, as the other I mentioned is a one trick pony so to speak and little bang for your $.

JeepJL18

First Name
Jeep
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
@JeepJL18

When a guy/gal has a TazerJL or other programmer it is married to their JL. So what you want is a no go.

Suggest you buy a TazerJL for $300 or buy a SmartStopStart programmer for $129/149 if you want ESS disabled and never any idiot light on the dash because you detached a cable...

I say go with the TazerJL, as the other I mentioned is a one trick pony so to speak and little bang for your $.
Ahh, I didn't know that. I appreciate man.

Outdoors55

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I'm an odd one out here, but I like the ESS option. It doesn't bother me in the least and if it saves a little fuel, so be it. This video actually helped me push some concerns about wear and tear and reliability to bed. And if it gets really bad, I just have to push a button.

Sean L

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU, 2017 Honda Accord, 2014 Yamaha XVS 1300
Occupation
Retired Marine, Construction Estimator
Vehicle Showcase
I hated ESS before I watched this video. Now I really hate it! :D

So he's going on 30 year old information... So yes 30 years ago a Carburated engine would need to use a lot more fuel in a cold start (using a choke) than a modern, sequential multi-point fuel injection engine does.

A warm start on an already lubricated engine does not use the same amount of fuel as 10 minutes of idling, nor does it use the same amount of fuel as a straight up cold start. This is one of the reasons the ESS does not activate until the engine is at full operating temperature. Plus any fuel used in restarting your engine is used to push your vehicle forward, as its already in gear and and foot is off the brake. My Jeep is already moving by the time I press on the accelerator. I turned off hill start assist, making the whole ESS restart much smoother as well.

And really? ESS is the equivalent of a Trans Hooker? My eyes are still rolling at that comment.

Sponsored

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
His 30 year old info was coupled with new info and allays fears of wear n tear on motor. That was his point, or at least how I took it.

His other point was the whole thing is BS with minimal savings for the most part. Mine doesnt work for some reason but when it did I really didnt mind it other then thinking it's pretty silly... it's all the other crap I have mentioned before that makes it a giant pile.

modeler

First Name
d
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
rav4
Let's keep it scientific, JL is already out for 3 years.
Did anyone check how the starter motor look, are they bigger and beefier than JK's starter, or the same cheap ones used everywhere?

Another problem is coolant circulation, I know in early turbo engine, it ask driver to keep the car idle a minute before turn off the engine in order to let oil continue to run through hot turbo bearing to avoid overheat. All turbo engine now have delayed oil pump circulation now for sure, but what about other part of engine, does jeep continue to circulate oil when engine is turn off by ESS.

engine on and off are widely used by hybrid cars, but again that starter are made special as starter/torque booster/generator very heavy duty unit. I am not sure JL's design.

Actually, I think wear and tear should be minimal, because the engine is hot and totally lubricated, the sentence "cold start causing 80% engine wear" is true but misleading in this context.

twisty

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JL Rubicon White
ESS is a scourge. Mine took a chit twice. Does anyone really believe they did a thing to the starter to beef it up? lol

Get a tazer and be done with the stupidity! ;)

Sanchese

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021Rubicon, 2022 Rubicon Xtreme Recon on Order
for what I understand the e-torque motor restarts and adds torque to the motor on restart.
In those that are equipped with it.
FCA did a bad job of telling us what e-torque is all about and how it works.

rdsii

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
I installed the Autostop Eliminator in my JL and my son's JT. Works great no yellow light on dash.
Sponsored