Want a quality suspension that I can run with 35's on Sahara

Pistol527

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara-JL
I have a 18 Wrangler JL Sahara Unlimited 2.0L and I'm looking at putting a lift kit in, but have no idea what brand to buy. I am mainly using for everyday driving but want it to perform when going off road. Not looking to break the bank but definitely want a quality suspension that I can put 35" tires on. Also, not sure on how high of a lift I need 2.5" or 3.5."

Thanks for the help
Sponsored

RedundanT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR
What's "breaking the bank" exactly? One mans MetalCloak Gamechanger with 6Pak shocks is another mans budget boost. A 2.5" lift will let you run 35"s just fine, it's just a matter of finding what ball park you want to play in. A Clayton Overland 2.5" with some Fox shocks will do nicely, a Teraflex budget boost would get you up cheaper. It's all up to your wallet. I would recommend a mid tier kit with front lower or upper control arms to keep the steering in check. A budget of around 2K will get you a quality kit that will ride good and be great for daily driving. Cheaper and you risk quality.

CarbonSteel

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Ford Bronco Wildtrak
Vehicle Showcase
I would look at a MetalCloak Game Changer lift. The quality is absolute and you will not regret it. I am in the "buy once, cry once" group--not that MetalCloak's prices will leave you crying.

blnewt

First Name
Brad
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JL V6 SportS, (Retired 74 CJ-5, 80 CJ-7)
Occupation
Just ask @cosine he knows!
Also keep in mind that you will need new wheels w/ proper offset to allow the 35s to fully arc without rubbing when flexing the suspension or run spacers on stock wheels.

VTSpam

First Name
Kris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLU Rubicon 6-Speed
Definitely going to follow this thread. Just bought my first Jeep and it’s an 18 JLU Sahara manual 3.6. I’m all over the place with regard to putting on a lift, spacers, tires, etc. I want 35s, but there’s an added expense of re-gearing that I’ve learned about, which will run you around 2k from what I gather. Couple that with a lift and tires, you’re looking at 6k. Too much for me right now.

I have stock Sahara 18” wheels and 32” tires, which are not embarrassing, but I don’t like them at all. I’m considering doing a budget lift with spacers OR buying a takeoff Rubi suspension and doing the work myself. I can get a better lift with the spacers than the Rubi takeoffs. I am handy with a lot of things, but I’d be new to cars, so this is a bit of new territory for me, but you can buy a complete Rubi suspension for 300ish. That’ll lift a Sahara 1” approx., which I’ve read is enough for 35s (correct me if i am wrong). The re-gearing... that’ll be something I have a shop do.

I wanted to go with MOPAR 2.5” lift, but I have read horror stories about bowing of the coils. I believe someone posted that a $30 part from RK will fix it, but man... that scares me right now. If I was gonna go with 33” wheels, I’d seriously consider some Rubi takeoffs which are 285/70 R17s. Can get a set for about half the price of new 33s or 35s. Very appealing!

Sponsored

OP
OP

Pistol527

First Name
Pete
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara-JL
I’m looking to spend about 2k on a suspension lift. I don’t want to buy something cheap that is worse than the suspension that’s in it now.

I would also like to add a wheel spacer to push the wheel out a little farther (will be upgrading the wheels and tires).

redsyphon

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Rubicon
Occupation
IT Project Manager
Vehicle Showcase
I'll echo what others have said with MetalCloak Gamechanger and Teraflex. I've had them on previous vehicles without issue.

I personally went for a 2in Synergy setup w/fox shocks with my '18 JLUR and haven't regretted it at all. Quality parts, great ride, good flex and only about 2in lift. I've since added Teraflex Alpine IR control arms and the ride and flex improved even more.

The images below are from a recent trip. I'm still on 33s until they wear down. I'll then go to 35s. The Jeep is loaded with gear and a full wooden platform sleeping/drawer & water tank system in the back. Add the front steel bumper with winch, rear steel bumper, steel side steps and steel under armor... She's a heavy rig. I'd say I got about 1.5in lift post suspension settle at full gear load.

Jeep Wrangler JL Want a quality suspension that I can run with 35's on Sahara 20201220_145217-01

Jeep Wrangler JL Want a quality suspension that I can run with 35's on Sahara 20201221_092120-01
Sponsored