Sponsored

Want a better on road ride in Rubicon...

KY_Soldier

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1946 Willys CJ-2A, 2021 4xe, few Teslas & Ferraris
I recently took delivery of my JLU Rubicon. I knew the ride would be worse but I really don't like it on road at all. I have had several Saharas before but got the Rubi because I really liked the look of it, interior, molle, etc. Not sure if I made the wrong decision for me and need to order a Sahara, or if I can make it better by simply swapping out wheels/tires for a street oriented tire. The extra weight of the Rubicon makes it noticeably more sluggish IMO. I need to drive a sahara and this back to back again, but would prefer to keep what I have and fix the ride quality if possible. Thoughts?

Edit: Considering these as a replacement - https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...ler JL Unlimited(All New)&autoModClar=Rubicon
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
KY_Soldier

KY_Soldier

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Buy an almost purpose built offroader and turn it into an on road only rig? Poor jeep :(
Believe it or not, a vast majority of Jeeps never go offroad, and those people aren't enthusiasts who engage on these forums. I can do without the snarky comments. If it's an offroad vehicle you want, you can get an older H1 or former military spec Humvee as well, but since you didn't you clearly you wan't some level of comfort as well. :/

I love Jeeps because I enjoy a vehicle I can take the top and doors off in warm weather. Not sure why that's difficult to understand. Ideally, I would want a street version with a hellcat or similar spec electric motor in it for performance. Not everyone has to take it in the mud. Not sure why off roaders can't handle that. I already have a 46 Willys which is plenty hard core enough. I don't need another "purpose built" offroad rig. I get plenty of time in tactical vehicles as an Army Officer, don't need my personal jeep to be that hard core.

Jeepsmashin

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Go do a thorough test drive on a Sahara and see if there's noticeable difference for you, maybe some lighter wheels and less off road worthy tires could help. Try to lighten it up and drop some lbs, switch out steel bumpers if you have them, see what parts you can replace with lighter aftermarket parts ex aftermarket exhaust and intakes

Sponsored

$uicide$hift

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Sahara
Believe it or not, a vast majority of Jeeps never go offroad, and those people aren't enthusiasts who engage on these forums. I can do without the snarky comments. If it's an offroad vehicle you want, you can get an older H1 or former military spec Humvee as well, but since you didn't you clearly you wan't some level of comfort as well. :/

I love Jeeps because I enjoy a vehicle I can take the top and doors off in warm weather. Not sure why that's difficult to understand. Ideally, I would want a street version with a hellcat or similar spec electric motor in it for performance. Not everyone has to take it in the mud. Not sure why off roaders can't handle that. I already have a 46 Willys which is plenty hard core enough. I don't need another "purpose built" offroad rig. I get plenty of time in tactical vehicles as an Army Officer, don't need my personal jeep to be that hard core.
LOL yes I did not even realize there was this off road jeep community when I bought mine. I bought it because I love iconic styling (does not look like everything else, rag top, removable doors and drop windshield, 4X4 for NE winters, and an Unlimited for additional cargo space as I never have more than one passenger.

Too late now but it may have been better to buy a Sahara and then modify the looks to be more aggressive while maintaining better road manners. With that being said if you got a Punk'n Orange Rubicon and want to trade my Sahara should be arriving next month. :idea:

chcg12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKU
Yes a Sahara or sport would probably have been a better choice for you as described. That said, if you stay with the rubicon those tires will likely weigh less and will roll smoother. The ruby will still weigh more because of the heavy duty axles etc.

dave.j.fisher

First Name
Dave
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUR
List it here!!! People are dying to get one.... especially on this site. What are the options and color?

OP
OP
KY_Soldier

KY_Soldier

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
LOL yes I did not even realize there was this off road jeep community when I bought mine. I bought it because I love iconic styling (does not look like everything else, rag top, removable doors and drop windshield, 4X4 for NE winters, and an Unlimited for additional cargo space as I never have more than one passenger.

Too late now but it may have been better to buy a Sahara and then modify the looks to be more aggressive while maintaining better road manners. With that being said if you got a Punk'n Orange Rubicon and want to trade my Sahara should be arriving next month. :idea:
Funny thing is that my last JK was a sahara converted into a 75th Anniv Ed with the steel bumpers, etc. I do have the steel bumpers on this one, but like it too much to swap for plastic lol. Mine is red and can be seen in the delivered JL thread. Where in MA are you? I grew up in Natick.

Last edited:
OP
OP
KY_Soldier

KY_Soldier

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes a Sahara or sport would probably have been a better choice for you as described. That said, if you stay with the rubicon those tires will likely weigh less and will roll smoother. The ruby will still weigh more because of the heavy duty axles etc.
Yeah that's the difficult decision. Spend $1000 to see if those tires do the trick, or find out I should have ordered a sahara lol. I still like the power dome hood, molle seats and red interior trim/stitching though. Almost considered some sahara take off wheels (as there are tons coming on the market each day) but dropping to 31s may make that wheel arch look bare.

Sponsored

Matthew/E36

First Name
Classified
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Two Thousand and Eighteen Jeep Wrangler Unlimited
Aside from catching flak here, maybe you could describe what you find worse? IDK, like:
-noise level
-bouncing sharply
-bouncing to soft (lack of road feel)
-too much steering input (on highway, side roads, curves, etc)

I can't help yet, but if you give some more clues I'd hope someone could point you in the right direction.

NFRs2000NYC

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon
You would have been MUCH happier with a Grand Cherokee.

TroyBoy

First Name
Troy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
You would have been MUCH happier with a Grand Cherokee.
Except he doesn’t get the doors off or top off feeling in a grand Cherokee.

Covfefe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLUSS
You mean you didn't test drive a Rubi before buying?!
Sponsored