Sponsored

Wanna buy my old Jeep?

Spank

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2020 Dodge Challenger RT Scat Pack
I always wondered why in 2018 anyone would buy a JK brand new when the JL was available since there's such a big difference between them, particularly in the interior from the 3rd world JK to 1st world JL. Is it price?
Price, ignorance, and/or not wanting to jump into a new untested model at the time. Some people just want a Wrangler to have a Wrangler. They don't care about engines, transmissions, handling, or even capability because they'll never put the tires to a trail.

This is why the Wrangler has such great resale value. You can take any Wrangler that's got the shittiest Chinese aftermarket parts barely bolted to it, coated in rust, scratched to hell and back, a flat tire, hole in the soft top, and a billion miles on it and someone will buy it.
Sponsored

aldo98229

First Name
Aldo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Jeep Gladiator, 2018 Fiat 124 Spider
Occupation
Market Research
Vehicle Showcase
I always wondered why in 2018 anyone would buy a JK brand new when the JL was available since there's such a big difference between them, particularly in the interior from the 3rd world JK to 1st world JL. Is it price?
Not really. That 2018 JKUR Recon had an MSRP of $52,000.

In my case, it was because I was turned off by JL’s numb steering and ESS. I was —and remain— weary of JL’s many electronics.

After happily owning a totally trouble-free 2015 JKU, I —incorrectly— assumed that FCA would build the best JK in its final year of production.

As it turns out, FCA must stand alone as the only automaker outside of the Soviet block, that is incapable of improving quality with each passing year.

JerseyMark

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 JLU Willys Sport, 2019 JLU Sahara
For me it was price and proven track record. I had a few JKs(2008 and up) and they were all very reliable. Made a mistake and went to a Tacoma - 6 months later wanted back in a Jeep. The 2018 JLs were just hitting the lots and most dealerships were not discounting them. I paid $31800 for my 2018 JKU Willys edition and a 2018 JLU Sport base model would have been more money. So, I went with the JKU.

OP
OP
Sgt Beavis

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick and Miyako
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JL Unlimited Sport S
Occupation
The Man, The Myth, The Legend. In my own mind.
Vehicle Showcase
Well they’ve already sold it back on Saturday. My sales rep, Byron, didn’t immediately know what it was sold for. But they flipped it in just 7 days. Not to shabby IMO.
Sponsored