Wandering steering 45-60mph 2018 JLUR

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Bought a low miles 2018 JLUR last year. Totally stock. I have had two other JK's, not new to the way solid axles run particularly since I have four decades of owning a 73 Bronco. I never heard of the steering issues on JL until, walla, I have them shortly after purchase. I am an expert on the JK 3.6 casting issue. A friend who is a service rep for Mopar lambasted me for buying a 2018, he states they are recall nightmares. Now I know.

Initially I would best describe steering as a vote, I get to vote which lane I stay in, requires two hands, does not death wobble. Steering wheel could be quickly moved -+2 inches with zero change in direction.

Anyway, started dealer repairs with requisite new tires, alignment, no change.

Then New Steering box, new program. Mehhhhh, maybe better, no it's not, if anything it now acts like it has no PS in a parking lot. Still wanders 45-60, but dead solid above 70mph. But that is little use at 11mpg.

That was four dealer visits worth of time.

Now after two visits to another dealer, only because of move to another state, I finally have some improvement. I read the JLR has a stock 1.5 lift over stock, but same LCA length, meaning alignment is sketchy. As recommended on this site I bought the mopar 2 inch lift lower control arms, only $40 bucks per and had them installed, significant improvement in wheel centering, not nearly as much play on center with steering wheel. Feels like I think it should, and how my JK's felt. So much so I would not bring this in for repair. Except, when they were installing the LCA, they found a sketchy drag link and are replacing that in a month when the part gets here.

Very dissatisfied with JEEP CARES, because they never answered one question.
Sponsored

Old Dogger

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKR, 2018 JLR
Occupation
Retired High level Management.
We have a 2018 JLR. The 2018’s needs three updates for steering issues. Computer flash, steering stabilizer shock, and updated cast iron steering box. These are a must, in most cases. With ours, night and day difference.

OP
OP
azjl#3

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
I'm skeptical on steering stabilizers, they only mask a problem on the road, they do serve a purpose offroad.

In the EB community, we really don't rely on them unless hardcore offroad, otherwise, we fix the steering issue vs mask the problem. Full disclosure, I have one on my EB, but I know it does nothing other than eye bling.

I neglected to get alignment data, will do that next trip in. BTW, FYI, Firestone has a lifetime alignment plan, around $175, two visits a year, they check alignment and correct if needed.

OP
OP
azjl#3

azjl#3

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Sarge Green JLR
Sorry for the loss, and my #1 fear on the dirt, others making a mistake I could die quickly from.

Love factor 55, but warn has the same style hitch and shackle setup for $60 Full disclosure, I use F55 on the winch shackle.

WARN 29312 D-Ring Mount with 3/4" Pin for Standard 2" Class III Receiver Hitch Mounts

I use rope as well, but even then I throw a towel over it and wrap/tie it a few times, ya never know.
Sponsored