Sponsored

agpthng

First Name
Carol
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU
It's been over a year since I totaled my 2018 Rubicon and the three insurance companies involved finally settled the claim. I was doing about 65mph on the freeway when a car two lanes over came into the lane next to me, hitting the front of a GMC pickup. That forced the truck into my lane, hitting me in the right rear. This sent me sideways, shooting across the freeway and into a concrete sound wall. The impact was so violent that I just sat there for a few minutes expecting to start feeling pain set in. When I realized I wasn't injured and tried to get out, I had a hard time opening the door because the frame was badly bent. The guy that hit me said he was sure I was going to roll when he saw me spinning down the side of the freeway. However, I don't remember ever spinning and realized that's because my face was buried deep in the airbag.

The initial impact was front driver side. From the damage I figure I then spun clockwise, hitting the wall two more times. The next impact was left rear, which resulted in only minor damage. I then spun another 180 degrees hitting hard against the wall on the right side. This resulted in blowing out the tires, destroying the wheels, and ripping the fender off. The passenger side wiper blade spun around 180 degrees and was embedded in the windshield.

As I was standing on the side of the freeway, I noticed that the tow truck driver looked confused. He kept looking at the jeep, looking at me, and back at the jeep. He then approached me, pointed to the jeep and said "you were in that?" I said "yep". He then said "you're a blessed man. I've seen people killed in accidents like this." He pointed back to the jeep and said "that can be replaced, you can't". That's when I went from being mad that I just totaled my Rubicon to being glad that I just walked away from my totaled Rubicon.

I needed up with a bruised left shoulder, mark on the bridge of my nose where my sunglasses were forced into my face from the airbag, and a stiff neck for a couple of days. The wall was uninjured, but I left a nice mark.

Two weeks later I had my insurance money and a week after that a 2019 Rubicon. Same color, of course, but with a few more upgrades.

So despite whatever marginal crash test ratings these vehicles received, I give it the highest rating.

IMG_1072.JPG
IMG_1070.JPG
IMG_1071.JPG
IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1127 (1).jpg
Wow that is insane that you were not hurt worse!

ElGuapo

First Name
Bradley
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Jeep Wrangler Sahara Unlimited
Thanks for sharing the story and glad you're OK. Nice colour on the Jeep!

Austin23

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Glad this story had a happy ending and the Jeep help up when it counted most.

Sponsored

Blade1668

First Name
Darrell
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
91MJ,90XJ,91XJ,05,LJ,05JT
Good to hear your guardian angel was working overtime. I hope you don't have any un-noticed injury's that pop up down the road. But end all be all.... glad you walked away from it.

cosine

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Wrangler Sport jl
Occupation
Gone Postal
@RFR JLR 2.0 man. that was one hell of a hit and a heck of a ride. glad that you are ok. thanks for sharing the post. it just goes to show how well the jl wrangler handles in a crash.
Sponsored