Walked away from a totaled Rubicon

SirMagnus89

First Name
Charles
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jl Sport 2 Door, Mojito!
It's been over a year since I totaled my 2018 Rubicon and the three insurance companies involved finally settled the claim. I was doing about 65mph on the freeway when a car two lanes over came into the lane next to me, hitting the front of a GMC pickup. That forced the truck into my lane, hitting me in the right rear. This sent me sideways, shooting across the freeway and into a concrete sound wall. The impact was so violent that I just sat there for a few minutes expecting to start feeling pain set in. When I realized I wasn't injured and tried to get out, I had a hard time opening the door because the frame was badly bent. The guy that hit me said he was sure I was going to roll when he saw me spinning down the side of the freeway. However, I don't remember ever spinning and realized that's because my face was buried deep in the airbag.

The initial impact was front driver side. From the damage I figure I then spun clockwise, hitting the wall two more times. The next impact was left rear, which resulted in only minor damage. I then spun another 180 degrees hitting hard against the wall on the right side. This resulted in blowing out the tires, destroying the wheels, and ripping the fender off. The passenger side wiper blade spun around 180 degrees and was embedded in the windshield.

As I was standing on the side of the freeway, I noticed that the tow truck driver looked confused. He kept looking at the jeep, looking at me, and back at the jeep. He then approached me, pointed to the jeep and said "you were in that?" I said "yep". He then said "you're a blessed man. I've seen people killed in accidents like this." He pointed back to the jeep and said "that can be replaced, you can't". That's when I went from being mad that I just totaled my Rubicon to being glad that I just walked away from my totaled Rubicon.

I needed up with a bruised left shoulder, mark on the bridge of my nose where my sunglasses were forced into my face from the airbag, and a stiff neck for a couple of days. The wall was uninjured, but I left a nice mark.

Two weeks later I had my insurance money and a week after that a 2019 Rubicon. Same color, of course, but with a few more upgrades.

So despite whatever marginal crash test ratings these vehicles received, I give it the highest rating.

IMG_1072.JPG
IMG_1070.JPG
IMG_1071.JPG
IMG_1083.JPG
IMG_1127 (1).jpg
Damn, deff wasn't your time to go. The tow truck driver was right, and its amazing to see what a vehicle with removable top and doors can actually withstand. I am also honestly amazed it did not roll over, sliding sideways on dry pavement like that.

Count your Blessings.
Sponsored

CT_LFC

First Name
Ed
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Volvo XC90 / JLUR
Holy hell that is scary. When it's not your time to go, it's not your time to go.

Summer 2019 my +70yo mother got into a highway accident with an 18 wheeler and she walked away from it with just a couple bruises.

Mom Picture.jpg

Mom Picture_2.jpg

jg45

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR Recon
That was quite a wreck! Amazing that the Rubicon didn't roll. Glad your came out of relatively unscathed.

drvn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLU, 2014 JKU, 2005 TJ
Vehicle Showcase
Interesting story. Scary pics. Glad you are ok. Hope the new wrangler works out well.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RFR JLR 2.0

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep JLU Rubicon 3.6L
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
It's crazy that took a year to resolve. Glad you're doing well.
I believe it took so long because the truck involved was owned by the City of LA Department of Public Works and they weren't in any rush to do anything.

OP
OP
RFR JLR 2.0

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
Thanks for the replies.

OP
OP
RFR JLR 2.0

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
Holy hell that is scary. When it's not your time to go, it's not your time to go.

Summer 2019 my +70yo mother got into a highway accident with an 18 wheeler and she walked away from it with just a couple bruises.

Jeep Wrangler JL Walked away from a totaled Rubicon Mom Picture_2

Jeep Wrangler JL Walked away from a totaled Rubicon Mom Picture_2
Wow that looks bad. Glad she was ok.

_olllllllo_

First Name
William
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Hellayella JLU Rubicon 6-speed
First of all glad you are ok. The Jeep did its job of protecting you and did that very well under the circumstances.

Sponsored

limeade

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR
Vehicle Showcase
Glad you were able to walk away with very minor injuries.

What I'm shocked about though is the rear window surviving all of those impacts without breaking!! There's posts on here where the rear glass breaks just driving down the road.

OP
OP
RFR JLR 2.0

RFR JLR 2.0

First Name
Rudy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
Geologist
Should drag it to O'Reileys and get them to replace the wiper blades.
Should have taken the blades off when I pick up my belongings from the body shop.
Sponsored