Sponsored

Waiting for the UK Wrangler JL to arrive.

s7cky

First Name
Kevin Mcmahon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Corvette C5. 2015 Mustang Ecoboost. 2018 Jeep Renegade.
Hi, I have been contemplating a Wrangler for sometime now. They are a very rare sight on UK roads. Consequently, you have to travel some distance to even view one. An American car owner for over 20 years I have always been drawn to the American styling. I currently own a 2001 Corvette C5, that I have owned for over 13 years. I cannot imagine ever selling it......only 34,000 miles from new. I also have a 2015 Mustang 2.3 Ecoboost. Finally I have my daily driver a 2018 Jeep Renegade. I do like the Renegade.....even though it broke down on the second morning of owning it (software fault), it also limped home with another fault shortly afterwards.
But I do wish I had gone for a Wrangler. So, I have been looking around to see what is available. I contacted a Jeep Dealer recently enquiring about a new Sahara unlimited JK. Virtually straight away.....and without any prompting he said.....it will leak...they all do. This was the first I had heard about this issue. Obviously since then I have checked out various owners forums and have been suprised to see how many owners have this issue. So my dilemma is.....do I wait and buy a new JL (no prices have been released as yet here in the UK, but I estimate they will be around $54,600 for the Sahara Unlimited ), or do I buy one of the last JK's at around $42,250.......something of a bargain.
If the JK did leak it would be really disappointing, as it would seem that they cannot always be corrected. Incidentally, given the choice I would buy the JL with the new 2.0 petrol. The JK I am referring to is the 3.6 petrol......and yes petrol is very expensive over here...currently around $6.10 a gallon....even after factoring in the difference in the UK gallon to the US gallon.
So, my question is......what are the chances the JK will leak. Secondly, what would you do?
We have a trip to the USA planned early in October, I was planning to wait until then to make my choice......but do not want to miss out on one of the very few JK's left in the country.
I am keen to hear from owners who have had experiences with leaky JK's, and also those who have never had an issue. I am trying to figure out the chances of it leaking (or not). Cheers.
Sponsored

Artill

First Name
Arthur
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Wrangler JK Rubicon
Hi, I am also in the UK and have had a JK for 4 and a half year, and it doesnt leak. Nor has anything gone wrong at all. Its a 2 door Rubicon so i have the 3.6 and it does around 20 to 22 mpg (UK Gallons) upto a high of 24MPG if driven slowly down the motorway. The 5 speed auto is pretty poor, and i am sure the new 8 speed will be a huge improvment, but in every other way the JK is great. Oddly enough i also have a Mustang and a Corvette, so you are not alone!

I fear the JL will be massively epensive here, close to double what i paid less than 5 yeas ago, and without the option of the 3.6 and manula here i might hang onto the JK