shacdaddy

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
I first test-drove a Wrangler Unlimited back in 2016. Like many have a said, to me it just felt like a slow pig, so I opted for a diesel truck. Once I heard there's a diesel engine coming in 2019, I was stoked!

Today I went to my local dealer to see the new JL's they just got, hoping to drive the turbo 2.0, but unfortunately they didn't have any. I opted to test-drive the 3.6L just to see what differences the 8-speed tranny had over the previous 5-speed and HOLY CRAP it's a complete different beast.

It felt SO much peppier and responsive off-the-line and in highway traffic.

Now I'm leaning towards pulling the trigger on the tried-and-true 3.6L vs. waiting for the diesel or risking the new 2.0T.

DAMMIT!!
Another "issue" is my trade-in. It's a 2016 GMC Denali 3500HD w/ ~51,000 miles. Diesel, loaded, 7" lift w/ 37s, 8 foot bed and a custom camper shell. I own it outright, and most trade-in value sites put it in the mid-to-upper $40s. Ideally, depending on what the dealer offers, I could get close to a 1-for-1 swap (pending tax, tag, title, etc.).

My thinking is since I own it outright, I should trade-in/sell sooner rather than later (i.e. waiting for the diesel Jeep) in order to get the most $$$ in return.

Thoughts?
Sponsored

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)
Will the e-Torque be optional on the 2019 3.6L like it is with the RAM 1500?
I'm not sure I want that tech.
2019 3.6 is supposed to have the e-Torque. Pretty sure it's the same as the Ram 1500.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another "issue" is my trade-in. It's a 2016 GMC Denali 3500HD w/ ~51,000 miles. Diesel, loaded, 7" lift w/ 37s, 8 foot bed and a custom camper shell. I own it outright, and most trade-in value sites put it in the mid-to-upper $40s. Ideally, depending on what the dealer offers, I could get close to a 1-for-1 swap (pending tax, tag, title, etc.).

My thinking is since I own it outright, I should trade-in/sell sooner rather than later (i.e. waiting for the diesel Jeep) in order to get the most $$$ in return.

Thoughts?
It's a depreciating asset. It also depends on the depreciation curve. Selling it sooner usually will net the most money. Only time it does not make sense is if you need a vehicle to drive while waiting for new car. Trading it might give you a tax advantage depending on your state. In some states you only pay tax on difference between new car and trade. I'd search for dealers in your area who will sell for 5%-6% under invoice. Shop your truck to them to see who is willing to pay the most. I would also take it to CarMax for a baseline wholesale number. Good Luck

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok..... there's been some dialog here in this forum when the EPA estimates for the 2.0T were released in May.

Might check this thread!
I don't know how many people are as concerned about MPG with a Wrangler but here is a link. Makes more sense MPG wise on the 2-door IF all you care about is gas milage and not performance. Probably a wash cost wise on gas with the 2-door when you figure in premium gas. Not too much of difference economy wise with Unlimited. 2.0T might cost more gas wise over a 3.6? I feel the 2.0T has performance advantages in some situations like high altitude. A larger Sahara Unlimited with the 2.0T felt slightly quicker then a smaller 2-door 3.6 Rubicon when I drove them back to back. Outside temp was probably 85 degrees. I really feel both are good choices. One thing I don't like….I don't like having to order a higher end 2.0T with premium Alpine if you want the Active Noise Canceling. I wonder how noisy a 2.0T is without ANC? Have to go drive one back to back with a 2.0T that has ANC and a 3.6 before ordering.

Here you go…
https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/bymodel/2018_Jeep_Wrangler.shtml

Last edited:

GordonZoo

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ram ED
Occupation
Most Everything
If you are wanting MPG's savings then 3.0. In a wrangler It will yield low 30's in MPG as my Ram is consistently yielding 30. My Ram Eco is quite by Diesel standards but still noisy. That's why I pulled the trigger on a 2018 3.6L. I didn't want to have to raise my voice when the top was down with Diesel. I don't see a great advantage in the 2.0 considering 91 octane is recommended to push it. My 3.6 Rubicon unlimited is currently getting 20.2 MPG in mixed driving and I couldn't be happier. I would however be interested in seeing the Hybrid numbers.

Sponsored

WXman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler Unlimited
Occupation
Meteorology and Transportation
Yep, if you want maximum fuel economy and torque, the EcoDiesel is your engine.

If you want least ownership cost and more reliability, Pentastar is your engine.

OP
OP
shacdaddy

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Well I couldn't pass up a good trade-in deal...saw an incoming JLUR 3.6L to the local dealership on their site with the color and options I wanted (pretty damn close to what I had been configuring on Jeep.com). The price of the Jeep was the trade-in value they offered me, so taxes/fees were my only out-of-pocket expenses.

Now the wait until it arrives!

OP
OP
shacdaddy

shacdaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLUR Sting-Gray
Well I couldn't pass up a good trade-in deal...saw an incoming JLUR 3.6L to the local dealership on their site with the color and options I wanted (pretty damn close to what I had been configuring on Jeep.com). The price of the Jeep was the trade-in value they offered me, so taxes/fees were my only out-of-pocket expenses.

Now the wait until it arrives!
Uh well that wasn't a terrible wait...it's ready for pick-up!

Sponsored

SURF CTY

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Chevrolet 2500HD 2002 Chevrolet Suburban 2005 Chevrolet 2500HD 2008 Corvette 2018 GMC Yukon XL DENALI 32 FORD ROADSTER 34 FORD SEDAN DELIVERY
There are not that many 2018 JL Wrangler jeeps with 2.0L turbo engines on fuelly.com but the ones there aren't doing well in the mpg department. I am perfectly happy with the 3.6L and don't see any real advantages to the turbo engine just yet. Maybe the vehicle is just too heavy? The cars with this 2.0 L are much lighter than the 4,000 lb Wrangler. The narrative here isn't based on driving one though. I am a data cruncher though and have no experience with the turbo. I suppose some will be unconvinced wth the few Wrangkers listed on fuelly.com but it just may not deliver the fuel economy everyone thinks it will. The results are still coming in. One user has 28 full ups on his 2.0 and is getting only 17.5 mpg in mixed driving. My mpg is below for the 5k miles on my 3.6L.

This is the link to engine type 2.0L for Fuelly
Who CARES about FUELLY.com ??????
I'm getting 23.5 with my 2.0, 2018 Rubicon Turbo !!!!!!

SURF CTY

First Name
JR
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2001 Chevrolet 2500HD 2002 Chevrolet Suburban 2005 Chevrolet 2500HD 2008 Corvette 2018 GMC Yukon XL DENALI 32 FORD ROADSTER 34 FORD SEDAN DELIVERY
Who CARES about FUELLY.com ??????
I'm getting 23.5 with my 2.0, 2018 Rubicon Turbo !!!!!!
Unless you own one just shut up, You're just showing your ignorance !!

Rockreid

First Name
Rocky
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Jeep Wrangler Sahara
None of those (only 4) 2.0L fuelly entries are valid. They are all fake. Look at the dates the entries are listed- all before the 2.0L was even available and shipping. Either the people who listed their Jeeps as 2.0L made a legitimate mistake or these entries are deliberate trolls. Again, I would wait 6 months or so fo legitimate numbers to be listed and for proper magazine/video long term reviews before making quick decisions.

Outdoors55

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 JLU Sahara
I'm not your ordinary Wrangler owner. I have always wanted one, actually, it's the only car I have an "emotional" pull to. Thought it was fun when I was a teen, and now with two kids in grade school think it's a fun family car. However, I love high MPG in my cars so I knew this wasn't going to be fun in that department. Once a hybrid comes out I may upgrade but thus far I can baby the 3.6 into 24.5 on a flat highway and 21.5 in on my non-highway commute.

I'm not planning on much off roading but I do like the dual top option and taking it camping or driving to and from soccer and softball games.

I was set on the 2.0L but the cooling lines and the extra complications in the 2.0L just scared me away, especially for only 2-3 MPG more. Now if that level of batteries and cooling lines got me 33 MPG+ then I would have made the switch but the reliability and known 3.6L made sense and I saved the $1K.

CZ 75

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLU Rubicon
Turbos rarely deliver advertised fuel economy in real driving. Also more complexity.

The 3.6 could use more torque but with the 8 speed is perfectly acceptable and it's proven.
Sponsored