Sponsored

Waiting for diesel?

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
I'd be interested to learn what about the V-6 you disliked. I've not driven it myself.
Noisy and underpowered IMO. Its fine if your keeping your Wrangler stock but once you add weight from larger tires, bumpers and other accessories it can't get out of its own way.
Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, 2014 Grand Cherokee Limited Ecodiesel
In addition to our JK we have a Grand Cherokee ecodiesel. Stock it's a dog. Sure it has loads of torque but turbo lag is horrible and makes it difficult to merge and sometimes to pass. You never know when the turbo lag is going to be a problem. It gets about 24mpg day to day driving. Its a great deal more expensive to own than the gas engine. Expect to pay at least $4000 for it as an option. Also if you do not want it to become a lot more expensive, then do your own maintenance. If you prefer to pay for maintenance, expect it to cost around $250-300 each oil change. Dealers charge about $150 for an oil change on the diesel and you also have to change the fuel filter with each oil change and most dealers charge between $120 - $150. The filter is a PITA to change and it's hard to do it without getting covered in diesel so most will elect to pay for it. Being a modern diesel you also have to deal with the soot build up that accompanies modern diesels as well. To make the engine liveable, I had it tuned and it runes 100% better. Instead of 9.2 secs to 0-60 it does it in 6.2 secs and while day to day driving is around 24mpg (if you drive it nicelys) highway mileage hits about 32mpg. Expect to pay around $800-1000 for a good tune. There are no plug in tuners for the ecodiesel, it has to be taken to a shop or the ecu has to be pulled and programmed. I have a JL ordered and it is gas. It's just not a cost effective engine for me to get the diesel in the JL.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
In addition to our JK we have a Grand Cherokee ecodiesel. Stock it's a dog. Sure it has loads of torque but turbo lag is horrible and makes it difficult to merge and sometimes to pass. You never know when the turbo lag is going to be a problem. It gets about 24mpg day to day driving. Its a great deal more expensive to own than the gas engine. Expect to pay at least $4000 for it as an option. Also if you do not want it to become a lot more expensive, then do your own maintenance. If you prefer to pay for maintenance, expect it to cost around $250-300 each oil change. Dealers charge about $150 for an oil change on the diesel and you also have to change the fuel filter with each oil change and most dealers charge between $120 - $150. The filter is a PITA to change and it's hard to do it without getting covered in diesel so most will elect to pay for it. Being a modern diesel you also have to deal with the soot build up that accompanies modern diesels as well. To make the engine liveable, I had it tuned and it runes 100% better. Instead of 9.2 secs to 0-60 it does it in 6.2 secs and while day to day driving is around 24mpg (if you drive it nicelys) highway mileage hits about 32mpg. Expect to pay around $800-1000 for a good tune. There are no plug in tuners for the ecodiesel, it has to be taken to a shop or the ecu has to be pulled and programmed. I have a JL ordered and it is gas. It's just not a cost effective engine for me to get the diesel in the JL.
The motor in the JL will be Gen 2 of the one you have in your GC. Its already been said it will get a 20 HP and 22 TQ increase which is a nice bump.

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
The motor in the JL will be Gen 2 of the one you have in your GC. Its already been said it will get a 20 HP and 22 TQ increase which is a nice bump.
Thats nice but my tune gives me around 50hp and 100 ft/lb of torque over stock. Probably be a while for a gen 2 tune to be available so I don't know that gen 2 leaves you any better off. The downside of that is that if you put 40K miles on that engine without disabling EGR it's going to be caked in soot and there is no going back .Don't expect it to last much over 100k miles.

Vegas_Sirk

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 JKU
Vehicle Showcase
Thats nice but my tune gives me around 50hp and 100 ft/lb of torque over stock. Probably be a while for a gen 2 tune to be available so I don't know that gen 2 leaves you any better off. The downside of that is that if you put 40K miles on that engine without disabling EGR it's going to be caked in soot and there is no going back .Don't expect it to last much over 100k miles.
I have zero plans to tune or disable the EGR. Not down to buy a 50K rig to void the warranty. That why Gen 2 is nice with the bump in HP and TQ from the factory. Also they say the corrected (yet to be seen) the issues with the Gen 1s

Sponsored

offcamber

Banned
Banned
Banned
First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have zero plans to tune or disable the EGR. Not down to buy a 50K rig to void the warranty. That why Gen 2 is nice with the bump in HP and TQ from the factory. Also they say the corrected (yet to be seen) the issues with the Gen 1s
Then you will find the EGR diffuser getting caked with soot constantly, lowering your mpg and adding a huge amount of maintenance. I pulled ours after 13,000 miles and it was just unbelievable how clogged it was getting. We replaced and installed the GDE tune to turn it off. Expect your gas mileage to go steadily down as the EGR becomes more soot clogged. You will spend a lot of money cleaning and replacing soot covered components. (Warranty DOES NOT cover this at all)

Lee Woiteshek

First Name
Lee
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Toyota Matrix
Noticed yesterday's Detroit auto show that FCA has gone all in with the etorque hybrids on the 1500 Rams. So it looks like the 2.0 turbo won't be a orphan engine rapidly abandoned by FCA. Which makes me consider the etorque above the 3.6 which is out there now.

As much as I love diesel, until they solve the exhaust problems, or at least cover it on their lifetime warranty, I'm gonna have to reluctantly go with the new tech-hybrid.

Klausvanwinkle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR
I'd be interested to learn what about the V-6 you disliked. I've not driven it myself.
It has some decent power but it's all at the top of the rev range. The torque leaves something to be desired. You really have to step on it to get it going with 35s and 4.10s. It's okay at climbing mountain passes, but does downshift into 3rd too often for my liking when driving into desert headwinds. Regearing would help but I'm running a stock tire size to axle ratio (equivalent of the Sahara's 3.78 with 32s). So I'm hoping the diesel helps with that and high elevation power.

kcjl

First Name
R
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JGC CRD

The fuel filters are really easy for most people. Takes like 10 minutes. There is a drain plug to empty the fuel, so you don't actually have to get covered if you do it properly. Search youtube.

The Great Grape Ape

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 JKU AspenX 5spd , 2015 JK Sport 6spd
It has some decent power but it's all at the top of the rev range.
No, it’s not, the Gen1Pentastar makes 96% of its torque by 2,000RPM and for the extra 2K+ RPM you only get another 10-15lb/ft, so it definitely not all at the top of the rev range.

Whether or not it’s ‘sufficient’ torque is subjective, although we can all think of better & worse options for both diesel and gasoline.

Sponsored

robplumm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2012 JKUR in Dozer
Then you will find the EGR diffuser getting caked with soot constantly, lowering your mpg and adding a huge amount of maintenance. I pulled ours after 13,000 miles and it was just unbelievable how clogged it was getting. We replaced and installed the GDE tune to turn it off. Expect your gas mileage to go steadily down as the EGR becomes more soot clogged. You will spend a lot of money cleaning and replacing soot covered components. (Warranty DOES NOT cover this at all)
When we did the deletes and tune on the wife's 335D, we had to get the soot cleaned out as well (about an extra $600). They could barely pry the covers open :D That was at about 75k miles.

Granted...afterwards it went from a fun to drive car getting mid 30s on the hwy to an omg car to drive and gets near 50mpg on the hwy (added around 75 to hp and torque)

Would foresee at least egr shutoff and tune with the Jeep. Possibly dpf delete as well.

Nkyzr2

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Liberty, 2009 Chrysler T&C
Vehicle Showcase
It has some decent power but it's all at the top of the rev range. The torque leaves something to be desired. You really have to step on it to get it going with 35s and 4.10s. It's okay at climbing mountain passes, but does downshift into 3rd too often for my liking when driving into desert headwinds. Regearing would help but I'm running a stock tire size to axle ratio (equivalent of the Sahara's 3.78 with 32s). So I'm hoping the diesel helps with that and high elevation power.
I’m planning on running 37’s with 4.88’s... should get the power / torque ratio just a little better than the 33’s with 4.10’s... I haven’t done the math yet but I ran 35’s with 4.88’s on my TJ. That kept me emptying my pockets at the pump. Granted this will be a 6-speed manual vs my 5-speed so I’ll do some math and get back to you on the modified ratios.

Nate

First Name
Mr. A-hole
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Gladiator, 2019 Grand Cherokee, 2018 Road King, 1996 Bronco
Occupation
Machinist, Gunsmith and Dumbass Whisperer
I’m planning on running 37’s with 4.88’s... should get the power / torque ratio just a little better than the 33’s with 4.10’s... I haven’t done the math yet but I ran 35’s with 4.88’s on my TJ. That kept me emptying my pockets at the pump. Granted this will be a 6-speed manual vs my 5-speed so I’ll do some math and get back to you on the modified ratios.
It’s been a good while since my TJ but I could swear 37s were at the sweet spot on 5.13s

Nkyzr2

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Jeep Liberty, 2009 Chrysler T&C
Vehicle Showcase
It’s been a good while since my TJ but I could swear 37s were at the sweet spot on 5.13s
5.13s would work also... I’m not into mileage. Going to have to wait till the first set of tires need replaced before I go up with a lift, gears and tire though...

8AF1EA8D-53D6-4A77-A292-0ECFFF4C607C.png
Sponsored