Sponsored

Waiting 3 months for radio warranty repair, giving up

• Thread starter Deleted member 59098
  • Start date
  • Watchers 2

Deleted member 59098

My radio went to crap about 3 months ago at 15k and brought it to the dealership for warranty replacement. They ordered a radio supposedly, but it’s been over 3 months. Post Covid, pretty much learning to do everything myself. Can I plug in any used radio from same year, or is there some specific model number needed. This is a 21 JLR. Aftermarket is a little too expensive BTW.
Sponsored

SH556JL

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
21 JLR M6 RIP, 23 JLR M6
Should only need an unlock code, usually in the owners manual and most outfits the specialize in used factory radioes will provide it.

I haven’t done this in a long time nor on the JL, but I can’t imagine it changing.

I would not hesitate in sending the bill to FCA/Stellantis or what ever it’s called. They may reimburse you with the explanation giving here. The good news, it’s an easy swap. I have had my radio out for a stereo upgrade and should take less then a hour.

cornercanyon

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 JKUR, 2021 JLUR XR
Build Thread
Link
Occupation
. . . realizing each day–
My radio went to crap about 3 months ago at 15k and brought it to the dealership for warranty replacement. They ordered a radio supposedly, but it’s been over 3 months. Post Covid, pretty much learning to do everything myself. Can I plug in any used radio from same year, or is there some specific model number needed. This is a 21 JLR. Aftermarket is a little too expensive BTW.
I feel your pain. A couple of years ago the HVAC system in the JK would take minutes to act upon start up. Minutes after starting the Jeep with no fan, no action, no sign of life; then it would run just like normal. In the Texas hill country summer waiting that long is uncomfortable, especially so, when I had clients in the Jeep. After several tries the local dealer sent in some request to FCA. The response to do certain tests took a couple of months, and then the fix instructions took another month or so. I got good at finding shady parking spots and reacquainted with what my dad called the 2-55 AC our 1960 Mercury had.

Good luck, they did fix my HVAC and it was covered under the warranty at the time. Though it too was not timely–

mazer

First Name
Mazer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2Dr
@SH556JL is correct - if you're going to pick up a swap-in UConnect, you'll also need an activation code. Most sellers here in the marketplace know this and include it. It is on the original owner to get this code prior to selling their unit, and requires registered VIN-matching to obtain it.

Don't discount aftermarket units so quickly. There are some good options and they're not all that expensive. I just installed a Teyes CC3 for ~ $350. the unit took a bit over one month to ship and a day to install.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Wrangler JLU Sport S, Rubicon Suspension, Tires, and Rims. Firecracker Red
I had a new radio ordered a little over a week ago, under warranty. It just came in, the other day.

Sponsored

OP
OP

Deleted member 59098

@SH556JL is correct - if you're going to pick up a swap-in UConnect, you'll also need an activation code. Most sellers here in the marketplace know this and include it. It is on the original owner to get this code prior to selling their unit, and requires registered VIN-matching to obtain it.

Don't discount aftermarket units so quickly. There are some good options and they're not all that expensive. I just installed a Teyes CC3 for ~ $350. the unit took a bit over one month to ship and a day to install.
I think I’m going to stop by a couple audio shops to look at options. I like Jeeps, but the corporate support and dealers are worthless. Definitely only rec
I had a new radio ordered a little over a week ago, under warranty. It just came in, the other day.
What? So sick of the BS dealers dish out. Seriously thinking of getting rid of the JL and going back to 4.0 Jeeps to go off grid.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I think I’m going to stop by a couple audio shops to look at options. I like Jeeps, but the corporate support and dealers are worthless. Definitely only rec

What? So sick of the BS dealers dish out. Seriously thinking of getting rid of the JL and going back to 4.0 Jeeps to go off grid.
I'm getting tired of all the little Gremlins that come along with this JL too. I would love to have a restored TJ, and drop a mild Aluminum Hemi in it. Say 400 hp, with analog gauges. Just old school reliability.

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL

I wanted to ask you for the video converter, do you have to power it? ACC (RED) and GRD (black) and what is the yellow B+ wire for? Thank you

mazer

First Name
Mazer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 2Dr
I wanted to ask you for the video converter, do you have to power it? ACC (RED) and GRD (black) and what is the yellow B+ wire for? Thank you
B+ goes to battery (always hot). There’s a B+ wire that goes to the head unit that you can tap
In the main head unit connector.

AlgUSF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 JLUS, 2014 Tundra, 2013 Odyssey, 2002 Civic
I'm getting tired of all the little Gremlins that come along with this JL too. I would love to have a restored TJ, and drop a mild Aluminum Hemi in it. Say 400 hp, with analog gauges. Just old school reliability.
Once these Jeeps get older and out of warranty there will be a bunch of amazing aftermarket solutions for the gremlins.

Sponsored

bajanut

First Name
Hector
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Jeep Wrangler Unlimited JL
B+ goes to battery (always hot). There’s a B+ wire that goes to the head unit that you can tap
In the main head unit connector.
Thank you I'll find it, by any chance do you remember the color?

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
I love when people whine about electrical problems with the JL and act like the PCM’s on the 4.0L didn’t go out every few years. They were junk and will always be junk.

there is no modern vehicle that can survive full electronic failure. Doesn’t exist.

DaltonGang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I love when people whine about electrical problems with the JL and act like the PCM’s on the 4.0L didn’t go out every few years. They were junk and will always be junk.

there is no modern vehicle that can survive full electronic failure. Doesn’t exist.
Really?? Then why does every Japanese vehicle I have owned have almost zero issues, up to 200,000 miles?? Is it too much to ask ?? Quality control, and reliability?? Btw, my 1998 TJ 4.0 had zero issues. Whine, No!! Complain, Yes!!

mwilk012

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ocean Blue JLU Rubicon
Occupation
Service
Really?? Then why does every Japanese vehicle I have owned have almost zero issues, up to 200,000 miles?? Is it too much to ask ?? Quality control, and reliability?? Btw, my 1998 TJ 4.0 had zero issues. Whine, No!! Complain, Yes!!
Your sample size of 1 versus the fact that all modern vehicles have a significant number of independent communicating computers that have at least some likelihood to fail. My 98 had tons of problems, but it was a worn out PoS.
Do you even own a JL?
Sponsored