Sponsored

Wait to buy, or buy before inventory is picked through?

OP
OP

kcn2vb

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
I'm having an issue I didn't expect. Found 2 that I like, in two different states. Both are "closed for sales" until either this Friday, (4/10) or 5/1. So even though I like what they have to offer, they won't even talk to me until Sales is back open. I guess that means I have to wait, and I'm still looking, but pickings are slim with the list of items that are "must haves". I've already had to eliminate the manual tranny from my list since I have no idea when a fix will come in. No one can sell them. I can't order what I want, so I guess I'm forcibly patient. Will keep everyone posted. Sounds like many of you are experiencing the same type of things.
Sponsored

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Rubicon EcoDiesel (11th Jeep)
Occupation
Retired CFO. Mayo Clinic volunteer.
I'm having an issue I didn't expect. Found 2 that I like, in two different states. Both are "closed for sales" until either this Friday, (4/10) or 5/1. So even though I like what they have to offer, they won't even talk to me until Sales is back open. I guess that means I have to wait, and I'm still looking, but pickings are slim with the list of items that are "must haves". I've already had to eliminate the manual tranny from my list since I have no idea when a fix will come in. No one can sell them. I can't order what I want, so I guess I'm forcibly patient. Will keep everyone posted. Sounds like many of you are experiencing the same type of things.
If you're foregoing something as fundamental as a manual, you really should consider waiting - especially if you expect a lengthy ownership. Perhaps a long-term rental car to bridge the gap?

OP
OP

kcn2vb

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
If you're foregoing something as fundamental as a manual, you really should consider waiting - especially if you expect a lengthy ownership. Perhaps a long-term rental car to bridge the gap?
The manual tranny is nice to have, but I listened to some convincing,and had some long thoughts about it. The recall sounds very suspect and I will own this for a long time, and while I'm very able and capable, I think 15 years from now might be good to have an auto. And the JL has the auto-stick option, which makes me more accepting of it. I also cannot wait until the 21's come out and at this rate I don't expect to be able to order a 20 before model year changeover. They may not even have the recall addressed before July.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
The manual tranny is nice to have, but I listened to some convincing,and had some long thoughts about it. The recall sounds very suspect and I will own this for a long time, and while I'm very able and capable, I think 15 years from now might be good to have an auto. And the JL has the auto-stick option, which makes me more accepting of it. I also cannot wait until the 21's come out and at this rate I don't expect to be able to order a 20 before model year changeover. They may not even have the recall addressed before July.
I misread your post. I thought that the manual was a must have, and you were having to compromise. That said, I'd still wait. Why buy a vehicle, that isn't really what you want, during the pantomimic? Surely your transportation needs deadline is not insurmountable.

UtahRyder

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Rubicon
I'm having an issue I didn't expect. Found 2 that I like, in two different states. Both are "closed for sales" until either this Friday, (4/10) or 5/1. So even though I like what they have to offer, they won't even talk to me until Sales is back open. I guess that means I have to wait, and I'm still looking, but pickings are slim with the list of items that are "must haves"
Literally in the same boat. Found a Jeep that checks ALL the boxes for me, but it's in a state that is shut down. Sales said "we'll let you know when we open back up"
Meanwhile, I continue to get spam email from them adverting the Jeep I want (and others) as being for sale

Sponsored

MarkK10

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Jeep Wrangler Sport S, 1999 F250 Diesel, 2007 Mustang GT, 2015 Escape
I realize that the OP is in Kansas, but here in New Jersey, car dealer physical showrooms are closed for the duration. However, most appear to be offering online sales backed up by phone, text, email, etc. communications with the sales staff. My local dealer (Spirit) is offering curbside delivery; they currently have 36 new Wranglers in stock (they are a small dealer) including a couple of 2018 models. Service and parts are open. I wonder how it is in other parts of the country?

On a side note, I hope that Jeep central is open in Toledo, so they can come up with the fix and parts for the W12 pressure plate recall on my 2019 Wrangler.

rickinAZ

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Occupation
I realize that the OP is in Kansas, but here in New Jersey, car dealer physical showrooms are closed for the duration. However, most appear to be offering online sales backed up by phone, text, email, etc. communications with the sales staff. My local dealer (Spirit) is offering curbside delivery; they currently have 36 new Wranglers in stock (they are a small dealer) including a couple of 2018 models. Service and parts are open. I wonder how it is in other parts of the country?

On a side note, I hope that Jeep central is open in Toledo, so they can come up with the fix and parts for the W12 pressure plate recall on my 2019 Wrangler.
Here in Phoenix, all dealers are open. They offer complete "at home" services: test drives, trade valuation, paperwork - all done at YOUR location. That said, isn't the test drive vehicle compromised from a virus exposure standpoint?

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
They already have a fix for the recall - it took a couple weeks. They started accepting MT orders again before the shutdown, so I placed an order on 3/14 for a JLUR 3.6L/ 6-speed manual. If you'll own the Jeep for a long time, you're better off getting the manual because it's a lot cheaper to replace a clutch than an auto transmission. Just my 2 cents.

viper88

First Name
Nick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 JLR 2.0T (past), '22 JLR 3.6 (present)

Auto dealerships are regulated by state. For example dealers are not allowed to be open on Sunday here in IL. As far as the shelter in place and State shut down. Dealers are open here in IL because they are considered essential. Auto repair shops are allowed to stay open also.

I suppose some dealers can choose not to be open also if they wanted to close.

OP
OP

kcn2vb

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
They already have a fix for the recall - it took a couple weeks. They started accepting MT orders again before the shutdown, so I placed an order on 3/14 for a JLUR 3.6L/ 6-speed manual. If you'll own the Jeep for a long time, you're better off getting the manual because it's a lot cheaper to replace a clutch than an auto transmission. Just my 2 cents.
Long post, sorry

According to NHTSA a remedy is not avialable. This is a vin for one of the vehicles I was looking at. Doesn't include all the options I want though.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?vin=1C4HJXFG4LW191744

We can make appointments at dealerships here in KS, but lots are locked up except for where service and parts areas are located. I've set an appt and took a test drive in a Turbo 4 (not a fan) and a V6 Rubicon with auto trans, both with bunches of extras, so they knew I wasn't going to be buying them. I'm close to Missouri as well, but they are under the same "orders" so using online to check inventory is best way before reaching out to anyone.

As for my "timeline" I'm basically wanting to have something in hand before my daughter turns 16 next month, normally that would be when she takes off and goes and hangs out with friends, but with this quarantine/lockdown/pandemic etc who knows. I'm still driving my 2003 in the mean time, So while I could wait, the wife would definitely say that I should not, and we all know that happy wife = happy life.

I know that I'm really picky, but I will be driving this for a long time. It's also not cheap. I basically don't want any options that I'll be removing or rendering useless by purchasing them. When I had my appt at the dealership they were not optimistic on the ordering based on the current situation. So, of all the times to have a country in panic and so many places shut down, why not buy a Jeep.

On a side note, they added 0% for 36 months to the Rubicons, so I might take advantage of that if I can find one. Who turns down using someone elses money for free.

Sponsored

JDJL

First Name
Jeremy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 JLUR 3.6L 6spd
Long post, sorry

According to NHTSA a remedy is not avialable. This is a vin for one of the vehicles I was looking at. Doesn't include all the options I want though.
https://www.nhtsa.gov/recalls?vin=1C4HJXFG4LW191744
I don't know what the situation is for existing vehicles - perhaps they're waiting on parts? According to my dealer, they initially stopped taking orders for MT's while they came up with a fix and worked out ECOs. They found a fix and started taking orders again around 3/10. I placed my order a few days later. So the fix will be integrated into the new vehicles.

Amaruq

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
JLR 6spd
I don't know what the situation is for existing vehicles - perhaps they're waiting on parts? According to my dealer, they initially stopped taking orders for MT's while they came up with a fix and worked out ECOs. They found a fix and started taking orders again around 3/10. I placed my order a few days later. So the fix will be integrated into the new vehicles.
Same. And looks like they moved the April 14 re-open date to May 4.

oceanblue2019

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 JLUR 2.0L Auto
Occupation
Metrology
I'm ready to buy, and was planning to order, but now I'm not sure I can wait long enough for factories to get back online and then wait the additional 4-8 weeks for an ordered JLUR. Looking through nationwide inventory thinking I should buy before it's so picked through that I don't get what I really want for options. That being said I know the deals will just get better the longer I wait. Anyone thing that now is good enough? Or should I wait another 2-4 weeks. I have a mid May timeline for being in my possession.
Pricing will go down or the deals get better over time, but the selection also gets picked through so you may not get what you want if a unicorn of a configuration.

I'd also not want a Jeep that comes off the line for a couple weeks after a restart. That's when the quality issues happen as people forget the details.

OP
OP

kcn2vb

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ocean Blue JLUR
That makes sense, I think they closed ordering again, due to factory shutdown, but someone else would have to tell me if that's true.

RobTrachtman

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.tuttleclickchrysler.com
Vehicle(s)
19 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk
Occupation
Fleet Manager Tuttle Click Jeep Chrysler Dodge Hyundai
Got any 2-dr manual unicorns - I mean rubicons? :)
That I would have to order for sure.. We don't sell hardly any of the 2 door sticks here..
Sponsored